Virtual Reality Multiplayer

rusty_dragon

As @videogamer said.

VR headsets costs a fortune and very few has gotten enough money to buy that and to then after that, Suggest it.

You can always get the two next best things which is TrackIR that costs like 200 euros or something and then you have FaceTrackNoIR which is just a Webcam and a software.

The Bot That Never Sleeps

If you see a forum post that might be breaking the rules, report it.

+Rules+How to become GM+Frequently Suggested Things+Feedback+

+FaceTrackNoIR+

Did your post instantly get Forum Moderator by me? No need to be afraid, they are doing their job.

Yes, build uploaded on steam as beta branch, but it now uses same game version and all mods are working.

I don't get when people going against VR support. Support of more platforms is always good, it brings new people to community. Especially when it's big thing everyone talking about.

Tech is new, that's why it's costly. Prices will go down to 300-400 $ in a year or two when second gen headsets will appear. And for platform to have great value on gen two it require wide support. No one care about price of good wheel, pedals or gear shift.

I always thought that PC is about innovation.

Just now, rusty_dragon said:

Yes, build uses beta branch, but it now uses same game version and works with all mods.

I don't get when people going against VR support. Support of more platforms is always good, it brings new people to community. Especially when it's big thing everyone talking about.

Tech is new, that's why it's costly. Prices will go down to 300-400 $ in a year or two when second gen headsets will appear. And for platform to have great value on gen two it require wide support. No one care about price of good wheel, pedals or gear shift.

I always thought that PC is about innovation.

The prices wont go down with the actual products that are out right now. The manufaction of the products costs a fortune already. Viritual Reality is a new thing and will not see the cheap price of a casual consumers wallets for a long time. Until the Developers of this mod can actually get their hands on a VR Headset and get enough people interested in having the VR headsets then they will implement support for it but don't expect seeing it anytime soon.

Go with TrackIR or FaceTrackNoIR for now if you want more realism when you can't have VR.

+FaceTrackNoIR+

Did your post instantly get Forum Moderator by me? No need to be afraid, they are doing their job.

11 minutes ago, 1nYX said:

The prices wont go down with the actual products that are out right now. The manufaction of the products costs a fortune already. Viritual Reality is a new thing and will not see the cheap price of a casual consumers wallets for a long time. Until the Developers of this mod can actually get their hands on a VR Headset and get enough people interested in having the VR headsets then they will implement support for it but don't expect seeing it anytime soon.

Go with TrackIR or FaceTrackNoIR for now if you want more realism when you can't have VR.

Can you link me to info that prices won't go down? Because I know for certain it will happen in next two years. You can already get OSVR HDK2 for 400$ if you don't need room-scale with motion controllers.

It's easy to get hands on VR Headset nowadays. There are lots of owners around the globe. Probably devs know developers who already have one, or someone from MP community living nearby will be happy to lend his Vive.

I am HTC Vive owner. It would be great to let start OpenVR version of ETS2/ATS for TruckersMP multiplayer. Face trackers are nothing in comparison with VR headsets. OpenVR support is also the way to get reliable amount of gamers because ETS2/ATS are simulators. Another arguments: latest stable version of ETS2/ATS engine supports OpenVR for VR headsets. I dont see any reason to dont add menu item into TruckersMP launcher to start ther game in VR mode. Developers of the mod dont even need to make additional things - everything already implemented in ETS2/ATS.

The price of it won't go down(my assumption) due to something called "misrepresentation". HTC Vive is not a VR device, nor is it anywhere close. Financial Support from investors is quickly dropping, and sales have proven that people who wanted it have it and those that don't see the point have moved on.

As for the above argument that Face Tracking is nothing in comparison to "current" "VR" headsets, try again. Multiple monitors + $35 headtracking(trackhat/PS3 EYE Cam) = much cheaper and has the exact same effect.

1 minute ago, Gen15Lien said:

The price of it won't go down(my assumption) due to something called "misrepresentation". HTC Vive is not a VR device, nor is it anywhere close. Financial Support from investors is quickly dropping, and sales have proven that people who wanted it have it and those that don't see the point have moved on.

As for the above argument that Face Tracking is nothing in comparison to "current" "VR" headsets, try again. Multiple monitors + $35 headtracking(trackhat/PS3 EYE Cam) = much cheaper and has the exact same effect.

FaceTrackNoIR is just the same as the popular TrackIR just not the same Quality because it costs as much as a bottle of coca cola. You only need a Webcam and the cheap software.

+FaceTrackNoIR+

2 minutes ago, 1nYX said:

FaceTrackNoIR is just the same as the popular TrackIR just not the same Quality because it costs as much as a bottle of coca cola. You only need a Webcam and the cheap software.

I went with a Trackhat Clip(3D printed and not like the flimsy TrackIR headset) and a PS3 Eye camera I had lying around. The cost of a movie ticket to have it shipped over. Then Trackhat also has a custom version of the opentrack software for it. However, the FaceTrackNoIR option looks like an even cheaper alternative.

Just now, Gen15Lien said:

I went with a Trackhat Clip(3D printed and not like the flimsy TrackIR headset) and a PS3 Eye camera I had lying around. The cost of a movie ticket to have it shipped over. Then Trackhat also has a custom version of the opentrack software for it. However, the FaceTrackNoIR option looks like an even cheaper alternative.

It is known to be the cheapest temporary solution for those who doesn't own any flashy things to create a DIY headset or buy TrackIR or anything else that is expensive. Though I'd not recommend the PS3 Eye with the software as you'll need to have it very or fairly close to your face sadly.

All I did was go buy a webcam on a sale and then bought the software and it was fantastic for the low price.

+FaceTrackNoIR+

17 minutes ago, Gen15Lien said:

Why you saying that tracking is same as VR and that Vive is not VR device? Have you tried it yourself? And how it related to request of supporting VR headsets?

There is nothing special required from TruckMP developer: update UI/menu and add VR build number to version compatibility check.

9 minutes ago, rusty_dragon said:

Why you saying that tracking is same as VR and that Vive is not VR device? Have you tried it yourself? And how it related to request of supporting VR headsets?

There is nothing special required from TruckMP developer: update UI/menu and add VR build number to version check.

I never said that tracking was the same as VR, just that the Vive is not a VR device. I stayed on topic by talking about something that actually existed and was actually added to a beta build in the game. The HTC Vive is AR device. It contains only one sense and that is seeing. VR, as defined by Google, is:

the computer-generated simulation of a three-dimensional image or environment that can be interacted with in a seemingly real or physical way by a person using special electronic equipment, such as a helmet with a screen inside or gloves fitted with sensors.

The Vive, unfortunately, does not fit this description. Nor does any currently publicly available product fit the description. [Side note: I personally require at least 3 senses to be met for something to be considered "VR" to me]

Support added to the game was for AR devices, like the Vive, Oculus, Cardboard, etc.

As for my experience with "VR", I've used both Oculus and the Vive. The Oculus was neat at first, but the Vive was definitely better. Unfortunately, neither was comfortable to use under any circumstance for me. Glad that I wasn't the one to pay for them.

[Edit1:]

As for there being nothing special required to add it to TruckersMP from the developer, you might want to go develop a hack for a game yourself. It might enlighten you on the process to add something as simple as "support".

Edited by Gen15Lien

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.