Calais>Duisburg Road: Information and Alternative Routes

heyhococo

^

YEAH, took this way today with a double and had no problems and normal traffic.

Edited by Mertinho
Removed unnecessary quotation.

Anyways, I have found another alternative if you're not going to Duisburg and want to avoid the area of the four cluster cities - use the same route mentioned up until you get to the border with Germany, where you exit onto the A61 northbound (which becomes the A73 at the border with the Netherlands). The A73 passes underneath the Calais-Duisburg road a few kms down the road but keep going north on the A73 and then turn off onto the A1 eastbound and cross back into Germany. 

• 2 weeks later...

Good to know. But in my opinion, if you know how to drive you can drive there without damage or at least lesser damage than normal.
I drove today the normal route ( the smaller roads ) and I came out with 14% damage. Yes, there are a lot of people that can't drive, park anywhere and everywhere and do things that are even allowed.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Personally if I want to avoid the carnage of the C-D road, I’ll go further south on the A73 and then take the A15 past Liege and then either exit onto the same highway as the both routes end up on or I go on further and take the more winding road north into Calais. This route looks longer but is in fact quicker because very few people go that far south around the C-D road so most traffic you see is going to Liege or Brussels from further south.

Also if you take the more scenic route you bypass Lille which can get busy at times instead of crashing straight through the city.

• 2 weeks later...