Why do people speed?

Eje005

Trolls obviously speed to further their agenda for ramming, blocking, and other forms of pathetic griefing.  Yet probably a good 70% of people who otherwise abide the rules will speed.  I don't get it.  What's the point?  It saves you like 5 minutes maybe, but what exactly are you saving?  You're saving yourself from playing the game?  Isn't playing the game the point? If you don't enjoy driving from A to B then why play the game?  And if you do enjoy it, why are you going faster and therefore lessening the time it takes to go from A to B?  Enjoy it.

Personally I enjoy obeying the traffic signs for both safety and entertainment reasons.  Stopping at red lights is part of the game, if you stop obeying the very few rules the game gives you then all you're doing is following a road at unsafe speeds.  I don't get it. 

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, SgtBreadStick said:

Speed = Fun to most people because going slow when you don't really need or have to is kinda boring also if someone is gonna be late for delivery. Thats in most cases but in other they just do.

Speed = fun in a game where you're meant to go fast, or in a game with more robust physics to fight.  But going 80 down the highway is pretty much exactly the same as going 80 through Bakersfield.  Mechanically there's no difference.  From a completely mechanical point, speeding actually gives you less to do (hold down accelerate) where as obeying and changing speeds at least gives you actions to perform (shifting, or if you drive automatic at least letting off the gas once and a while).

People don't have patience. They speed and speed until they crash. And they won't stop until they replicate this in real life and either get a nice ticket / suspended license or get into an accident.

Myself I stay at 80 max as I don't find speeding fun.

The Bot That Never Sleeps

If you see a forum post that might be breaking the rules, report it.

+Rules+How to become GM+Frequently Suggested Things+Feedback+

+FaceTrackNoIR+

Did your post instantly get Forum Moderator by me? No need to be afraid, they are doing their job.

I could ask then how can you enjoy the 90 km/h speedlimit? It's extremely slow and BORING! Some people love the speed and it's fun.It gives more challenge and makes the trucking more interesting

6 minutes ago, 1nYX said:

People don't have patience. They speed and speed until they crash until they replicate this in real life and either get a nice ticket / suspended license or get into an accident.

OMG this logic fails so hard im not even sure if you are joking or not. This is just a videogame so obviously we would speed like that because it's not real life.Just because someone drives fast ignoring the speedlimit does not mean he drives like that in the real life too

1 minute ago, Kazuma said:

I could ask then how can you enjoy the 90 km/h speedlimit? It's extremely slow and BORING! Some people love the speed and it's fun.It gives more challenge and makes the trucking more interesting

OMG this logic fails so hard im not even sure if you are joking or not. This is just a videogame so obviously we would speed like that because it's not real life.Just because someone drives fast ignoring the speedlimit does not mean he drives like that in the real life too

Game sure, Simulator yes, what do you do in a simulator? You drive like you should. Do you speed in real life? Nah man you probably would not. Want speed? There is the racing corner over in the other end of Gamestop. There is even Truck Racing games.

The Bot That Never Sleeps

If you see a forum post that might be breaking the rules, report it.

+Rules+How to become GM+Frequently Suggested Things+Feedback+

+FaceTrackNoIR+

Did your post instantly get Forum Moderator by me? No need to be afraid, they are doing their job.

8 minutes ago, Kazuma said:

It doesn't really make it more challenging though.  I mean, if you had 1 finger on each hand maybe.

Pros:

• takes less time to reach destination
  • easier to overtake when you don't have a limiter
  • a lot safer to drive fast when everyone around you is doing it
  • You don't risk to get killed (you can always load a savegame), you don't have to pay for fines

Cons:

• Trucks get really thirsty
  • Emergency stops take a bit more time
  • Risking to flip over/fly out of a turn when you don't pay attention

Dude I dont know, I dont find it fun, I find fun in having my own rules beside real life rules, so on motorways i do 90, on highways i do 80 and in cities i do 50, If i wouldnt have to follow that I would get bored so fast, also I like 150% control over my truck... Comments above explained well why people are speeding, SCS should make up something that would make driving by limits the only normal thing to do, at the moment it doesnt matter, i feel dumb sometimes driving 50 thru city...

Most of the time people speed for 1 of 3 reasons, to troll, to reduce stress from a long day or to test their skills. Look at it this way, what can you define as excessive speed? is doing 60MPH on a winding country back road considered excessive speeding? is doing 120MPH on a deserted motorway excessive speed? Its down to interpretation, some may say doing anything above 55 is speeding no matter where you are, others will say anything above national speed limit is speeding. I know personally that I stick to more realistic speeds, 55-60MPH on back roads, 65-70MPH on Motorways and Dual Carriageways. That's the limit of my skill in knowing I can successfully stop in time to avoid an accident that happens a head of me, or at least take avoiding action to avoid wrecking.

Most of the speeders you see who are doing 80, 90 even 100MPH no matter what road they are on usually wreck themselves, its always satisfying to cruise at a set speed and watch speeders scream by only to pass them around the next bend because they've either rolled over or wrecked into a wall.

Ask yourself this question, why do people insist on overtaking? and why do people insist on overtaking queues of traffic sat in a jam?

1 hour ago, FirestarteR93 said:

Pros:

• takes less time to reach destination
  • easier to overtake when you don't have a limiter
  • a lot safer to drive fast when everyone around you is doing it

Less time to reach your destination in a game about reaching destinations (not specifically quickly).

Easier to overtake is less of a pro when you don't need to over take someone because you've stopped caring about speed.

Safer to drive fast when everyone else is doing it? Not really.  Idiots will hit you regardless of your speed.

is a good question, so why ? i think a huge amount of players playing this game are also playing need for speed,

now you may say, WTF what is that for comparison XD

Well it is obvious tho driving from point A to point B as fast as you can, and not following any rules whatsoever,

only in need for speed the police are going to chase you down off course and most of time they catch you hehe,

now in TruckersMP the police don't really chase so is easier to drive fast without the police following you.

anyway this game is +3 rated so i think we should not take is so seriously XD 

off course there are players you follow every sign and stop at every traffic lights like me.

1 minute ago, HerrSwizz said:

Simply because every single player can play his simulaton as he wants. If u like it or not. I know it´s hard to unterstand why people speed with a Truck like crazy. 

I allways drive to the speed limits,stop at red lights and stop signs and the most important i allways stay friendly and let other players pas if they try to overtake me 

Play how they want, but not to the detriment of other people.  They may not mean to crash into people, but 90% of incidents I've been involved in are because the other guy was driving recklessly.

People dont have patience and want to arrive faster. simple as that.

meanwhile why people drive slow?

1. they just want slower pace gameplay

2. want a very efficient trip by saving gas

3. want to simulate the real driving experience by following the traffic rules.

4. all of the above

I drive slow because it's relaxing and safer. cruising while listening to radio and enjoy the detail of your truck, while dodging any reckless player & troll. 

driving at 40kmh for city area, 55-60kmh for country road, and 65-70 for highway.

I like to speed and also don't obey red lights (except for in cities or if traffic is coming from the other way) Yes this is a simulator but it is still a game and not real life. Some like to go slow, obey speed limits and red lights etc and find that fun while others like to speed and find that fun. Just because alot of people speed it doesn't mean they are all treating ETS2MP like Need for Speed.  For me I find it boring going slow, especially on those big empty highways. Impatience also has a small part to play in it at times as alot of people don't have much patience, If I'm 100% honest I can be impatient at times too :P Even while I'm speeding I will see some people going faster then me (some alot faster at time) and fair play to some of them that can control the trucks at suck high speeds on corners and country roads (I slow down on corners and windy country roads) 

9b3f0e1f6c.jpg

@antrax 737 the first question I don't really get, wel my brain may be still sleeping for a proper thought.

For the second question in nfs there are no traffic lights if I'm remember correctly xd and no I don't stop is a race game obviously, but since ETS is a simulation game with rules that is different and many players seems not caring about it,that was my point really xd

Is okay I like constructive criticism xd

Archived