Dynamic AFK grace period based on server capacity

Norbi

Suggestion Name:
Dynamic AFK grace period based on server capacity
Suggestion Description:
Set a default AFK time allowed and extend this if there are less players on the server than than the half of its capacity.

Any example images: None.

Why should it be added?
Currently there's a fixed amount of away from keyboard time after when you'll get automatically kicked. Kicking inactive players after a short amount of time if the servers are busy is a good idea but there are times when this rule is just so strict. Eg.: I usually take a break from the game every hour to go to refresh myself and I do find myself being kicked off the server even if there are only a few players on it. Since there is no quick reconnect option I have to quit and relaunch the game, reload my profile, connect again. This makes the resting places at highways, the petrol stations and hotels in cities absolutely useless.
  • Upvote 4

• 9 months later...

Sorry for bumping this thread but is there any chance that you guys even consider this to be implemented? I usually drive during night hours when the server is running on half capacity. I understand that during peak hours kicking AFK people is a must but around 2AM CEST where the server is not that crowded you could at least increase the AFK kick period to be a greater value.

This would actually be a decent addition, that way if there is say 500 slots available, there is no AFK kicker / an extended AFK time.. 

It could however cause an issue with people AFKing in the middle of roads? They wouldn't get auto kicked which could potentially increase lag in busier cities.

• Upvote 1

On 2017-6-4 at 2:13 PM, StuartD said:

This would actually be a decent addition, that way if there is say 500 slots available, there is no AFK kicker / an extended AFK time.. 

It could however cause an issue with people AFKing in the middle of roads? They wouldn't get auto kicked which could potentially increase lag in busier cities.

Yes but basically if the auto-kick is disabled for let's say under 2000 players connected, therefore it won't cause any harm to any PC because as the server is less busy there's less trucks and even with 5 trucks parking it won't cause more harm than a ladybug.

However, if this thing is implemented in servers, we should modify the actual No Parking Zone rule to the all map, and only allow stops and inappropriate parking on rest areas

Edited by Raphii

signature.png

I like the idea but I do believe this has been denied quite a few times the devs due to chances of more people AFKing randomly on open roads and more people complaining why IGAs are not kicking such people who are blocking.

^how exactly would you modify No Parking Zone rule. In most states irl sure I understand the hard shoulder is mainly used for emergency purposes only and treated as illegal usage for picking up a phone call/smoke break etc etc. But It is not a 'crime' to pull over to the road shoulder in the simulator or in TMP to do such things and you can't modify the rule in such a way.

all in all, i feel the current system is good. perhaps maybe trigger spots in NCZs or the idea of whenever you get kicked, it kicks you to the login screen instead for you to re-login into MP.

• Upvote 1

Ex - GM & FM (S.E.A)

• 2 months later...

Looks like someone else thought of this idea way earlier than I did. It's basically similar to my suggestion without the parking lot stuff. I do hope the devs will see people find this suggestion good and at least make a comment about it and let us know if we can expect this feature in the near future. 

• 4 months later...

My question here is, how long would the AFK Kick have to be delayed in a low population server in order to make it worthwhile. Plus who's to say this wouldn't be used to troll? For example, a server of 200 people with an AFK Kick of 15 minutes. The majority of people are in a hotspot area like C-D Road or Rotterdam. A player could easily block the road for ages without being kicked, especially if no admin is present on the server.

• 2 years later...