Keep the Lights on!

Penguin

Suggestion Name:
Keep traffic lights on at all times.
Suggestion Description:
Traffic Lights are currently turned off from 11PM till 6AM. I suggest to keep the traffic lights running at all times.

Any example images

No

Why should it be added?
In busier areas, such as Paris, it is a large inconvenience for players when the traffic lights are switched off, as the number of crashes go up as people choose not to wait as the lights are off and will try their chances.
If the lights stayed on, then even though obeying the lights are not mandatory, people will have fewer collisions, which keeps my paintwork fresh and less jobs for the admins.

This suggestion would not inconvenience users in less busier places, as there is no rule against ignoring the lights, however in busier places, players will normally choose to wait at the lights. Junctions become very difficult (in some places) when the lights are switched off.

Current Status: status.png

Waddle On!                    

Maybe I'm wrong but I swear in the early days of the mod, traffic lights were working all the time. I think something with the amber light would cause the game to crash for some players.

5ekjGCj.png

Intel i7 7700k│ASUS ROG Maximus IX Hero│G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 16GB 3000MHz │EVGA GTX 1080 FTW│EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2│Samsung 970 EVO 1TB NVMe M.2/Samsung 850 EVO 500GB│Corsair H100i v2│Corsair iCUE 465x RGB

Audio Technica AD700's│Beyerdymanic DT770's 80Ω│Corsair Strafe RGB Blues│Logitech G502 Spectrum│Alienware AW3420DW

Actually, In Germany their traffic lights are switched off at nights also.  

A flashing yellow signal or a traffic signal that is completely dark indicates that the intersection is currently not being controlled by the signals.  Most traffic signals in Germany are switched off at night and sometimes on weekends as well.  Also, some pedestrian crossing signals turn themselves off after a period of inactivity.  To provide for traffic control in this situation, nearly all traffic signals also have right-of-way signs installed nearby, usually near the rightmost signal face.  Motorists must obey the signs when the signal is off or flashing.  So, if you encountered Figure 1, you would have to yield. Sign 205

NqBHV9L.png TruckersMP - Staff Team Member NqBHV9L.png

- Twitter | Steam | Facebook | YouTube | Discord -

2 hours ago, Penguinexpert1 said:

@megadethsteve666 Although, in your country traffic lights are compulsory, in MP they are not, so traffic would flow freely anyway

You forget that the meaning of a flashing amber light is to approach with caution, not blast through the intersection at 100MPH and ram into someone crossing the junction. I personally like the lights being off at night and on during the day. For one theres less to look for at night then when coming around blind turns, not to mention the fact that a lot of European countries are adding this sort of system where lights are turned off or have a flashing amber light at night when traffic flow is much lower so there is no need for the lights to be on the entire time.

Also in answer to your question, I doubt it, unless the MP team is able to change the lighting coding without messing with the base game files, its impossible to do unless SCS allow them to do so. if lights are turned on at night, they should have a much faster cycle than daytime at least.

Oh I'm in no way speeding through intersections. When the lights are off at night, there can be a delay as everyone is waiting for someone to move. If the lights were kept on, then there is less chance of delay. If no-one's around when the lights are on it dosen't matter as you're allowed to go through them anyway

Waddle On!                    

^well from my experiences over the last 2 years, since the lights were set ot go to flashing amber at night, people move through intersections faster than if they were stuck waiting at the lights, so really, leaving the lights off at night actually benefits EVERYONE, not just the individual.

Also, although its not an official rule, its not a good idea to run reds anyway, even if you think its clear, there is a high chance someone is coming. The number of times ive been T-boned because ive waited till green and someone has not bothered to stop at red and hit me side on is surprisingly high.

^first you are not an admin so cannot tell others what to do and what to say.  Second, it is on topic because its about traffic lights, traffic lights are used IRL as well as ingame, so therefore, it is relevant content to what you are "suggesting". Third, in my last post, there was NO reference to The real world at all.

@megadethsteve666

It dosen't matter if I am an admin or not, all posts should stay on-topic. (I'm not an admin by the way, and I am in no way saying that I am)

I'm not forcing you to keep it on topic, I cannot do that, however I am asking that you do so.

1 hour ago, megadethsteve666 said:

not to mention the fact that a lot of European countries are adding this sort of system where lights are turned off or have a flashing amber light at night when traffic flow is much lower so there is no need for the lights to be on the entire time.

I did not say that you were mentioning things IRL in your THIRD post, however the above quote was from one hour ago.

It's not up for argument, please stay on topic, thanks :)

Waddle On!                    

^as I SAID, it is TECHNICALLY on topic, off topic would mean I would be posting about something else not related to the subject matter, for example, talking about ferry crossing times at EP, but no, I was talking about Traffic ligfht signals, even though about IRL systems, it is STILL ON TOPIC.

Do not accuse me of doing something I have not done. end of.

Also, to pick up on a point you made earlier, people who wait at intersections when the lights are OFF are being courteous to other drivers, instead of being an *** and pulling out in front of traffic that is coming, they STOP to allow that traffic to pass the intersection, this shows that they are aware of their surroundings and of what to do as traffic coming towards you has RIGHT of way over you anyway.

Furthermore, as stated in the MP rules, we have to follow the rules of the country we are in (in ETS2 its the overall EU rules) this means we have to follow REAL WORLD rules as well.

^and I feel that you are not getting a word that is being said to you and find someone pointing out where you are wrong offensive. that's all I was doing, pointing out where you were wrong in your statements, that's all, if that's abusive behaviour, then 99% of the population is abusive then.

Also, its highly Unlikely that your idea will ever work because it depends what the MP team can change about the lights, especially as this cycle happens in SP and so the mod is based off of that.

1 hour ago, megadethsteve666 said:

^first you are not an admin so cannot tell others what to do and what to say.

He doesn't need to be an admin to point out the obvious...And maybe the topic is not about if some of your points is on- or offtopic.

PLEASE leave that "traffic lights in my country" argue away - IRL-lights may not work in the same way in MP, due to the game's timeflow and peak times. IMO traffic lights' length should be controlled by the server's population - e.g. there's no point in waiting like 2mins for a light to turn green when there are total of 5 players on the server

• Upvote 2

51 minutes ago, FirestarteR93 said:

IMO traffic lights' length should be controlled by the server's population - e.g. there's no point in waiting like 2mins for a light to turn green when there are total of 5 players on the server

@FirestarteR93 That's an awesome idea! Maybe if there were like 'sensors' near the lights to see how many people are near it, then prioritizing that traffic flow to allow for quicker journey times.

Sounds awesome :3

Waddle On!                    

8 hours ago, FirestarteR93 said:

IMO traffic lights' length should be controlled by the server's population - e.g. there's no point in waiting like 2mins for a light to turn green when there are total of 5 players on the server

the only thing is, because the Server Populations can fluctuate so much between servers, the lights would constantly cycle on and off all the time unless there was a very low threshold, on the other hand, looking at ATS server numbers, unless that threshold was low, the lights would be permanently off.

It wouldn't need to be the entire server population, just the population of the town that the lights are in

In EU2 this would result in:

Amsterdam and Paris: Constantly lights on

Glasgow: Lights on normal cycle.

However I would prefer it if the lights were just kept on at all times, for all places

Waddle On!                    

Honestly, I see no need to implement it, because trolls don't respect any signs.

If I'm at a crossroads and I see other players around, I obey the sign and wait my turn. If haven't anyone, I move on despite the red light. 

On moments when the semaphore is off, and there are other nearby players,I try to use horn and headlights to warn of my arrival, or give way to others. And always use blinkers.

76561198274653564.png

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.