Save Editing - Discussion

Forerunner

Save Editing

What is save editing?

Save editing is the term commonly given to mods that are allowed to be used in MP. These are sometimes made by directly editing the game save or by making mod files that will add modified files into the game save.

How and why does it work?

Both ETS2 and ATS have a sort of hierarchy structure for vehicles and trailers. This is the order of the hierarchy parts that are useful for MP modding, in order:

-Economy
-Players/Drivers/Companies
-Vehicles/Trailers
-Accessories

The majority of the mods seen in MP are hybrid trucks and trailers, which are created by swapping parts at the accessory level. MP modding is limited to the accessories as the lowest level, as new files cannot be added as they would cause synchronization issues.

Why do it?

Over the time that I've been a member of TruckersMP I have seen many reasons be used over and over again, so here are what I have found to be the most common reasons that people give, however I do not agree with all of them.

-It give more customisation
-I want more lights on my truck
-It makes my truck more unique
-I can / It is allowed

My personal reason for save editing fits the 1st and 3rd reasons. There will be other reasons that are not listed here, but these are the ones that I have seen most commonly.

Is it allowed in MP?

Save editing is allowed in MP, but if done incorrectly can cause game crashes for others; which in turn can lead to a ban. However the rules regarding how much save editing is allowed seems to be a grey area, so below are my recommendations of where to stop editing as well as the official TruckersMP rules regarding certain edits.

-Car, Trailer and Truck parts cannot be mixed, this will not result in a ban however: as the game will now automatically kick you from the servers.

-Removing rear lights from trucks or trailers is not allowed.

My recommendations:

-No more than 6 beacons on a vehicle, simply to reduce lag.

-No beacons on the bottom bar to avoid confusion with blinkers.

-A limit of 5 bar pieces, as the chrome reflections can cause FPS issues on low power PCs.

-Make sure that the sideskirts on any vehicle fit roughly between the axles, after all this a simulator.

-If you think something may be classed as excessive, it probably is.

Pro's and Con's?

Pro's

-Allows for more options

-Makes trucks look unique

-Can make any truck have 750hp

Con's

-Can cause issues if done incorrectly, leading to a ban

-Can lead to trucks causing lag or FPS issues

-Very unrealistic trucks can be made

What does it mean for the community?

Save editing is a subject that will almost never leave the community for the reasons stated above however it does have something else. Save editing has become almost a very small community itself, I personally know a few other save editors, and we often talk about mods and new ideas and concepts.

My personal view:

My view on save editing is that it is a good thing that should be kept within the community, and not looked down on. I have often seen posts where people say that save editing always causes bugs when this is simply not true. If someone on the forums asks about save editing because they want to do it, they should be helped and given guidence rather than being discouraged. Save editing and sharing my mods is what got me into the community.

Please post your views/opinions with reasoning below as this is a large topic which I think we need to discuss as a community. Please keep the posts on topic and as formal as possible.

What do you meant about limit 5 bar pieces?

But great post because i know alot of people mod there saves, I am one of them but i only do it for money! so i can just have some customization. Plus when it comes to MP if some random guy comes crashing into you and you don't have modded money or that! he could put you in debt and therefor it makes the game not fun for the player!

Save editing isn't the big menacing thing it is made out to be. It is an aid, if anything.... want bigger lights on your bottom bar? Want the 750hp engine in your Mercedes? It isn't a bad thing folks, it only becomes bad if you do something wrong.

3 hours ago, NoTime4name said:

A ban on save editing is the #1 thing I'd love to see happen. I can understand if it's for money, but people who make their truck as bright as the sun or put a dragster engine inside a dishwasher should just quit to GTA V or something (and before you say anything, that's one of my favourite games ever)

Then so be it, they can go play Goat Simulator for all I care. Because of a new auto-kick system, we no longer have 'dishwasher dragsters' (loved the way you said that) and although it is unfortunate that some people choose to create their Christmas tree 6 months early, this really is the minority and hell, I see plenty of ugly tuned up cars/trucks. I've seen a pink/black striped Cascadia with strobe lights at every possible inch. Nearly gave me a seizure, ahaha. What I'm trying to say is that save editing in its current iteration creates more realism than what is usually available. Remember, ETS2/ATS is a simulator, and by being able to depict things like this realistically, the game and the MP mod/community takes a step forward.

On 7/1/2016 at 5:13 PM, Mr Panda said:

gg

IbGCqSq.png

and just a tip to everyone

don't bother changing your name via editing

it deletes your profile -_-

you could try this if its not to confusing

r3cmOJYUGLr0jm36BbA54SsvVVg8f5sYKDtyk0l-

Twitch - - -Twitter

"Prepare yourselves, the bells have tolled! Shelter your weak, your young and your old! Each of you shall pay the final sum! Cry for mercy; the reckoning has come!"

I tried to customize the License Plate as seen in a tutorial, but it didn't work.

Another change I want is the sound of Volvo FH16 like a Kenworth W900, but I believe thats not be allowed.

Anyway, I like and  want more options for personalize my truck with more color grills,  but without excess, don't like the "Transformers" LOL

76561198274653564.png

• 2 weeks later...

Archived