How to pilot

Ozy

Had a idea pertaining to this,

Would anyone (Mostly VTC's since this would most directly apply to you) be interested in me handing out 'certificates' to people who understand this guide and can answer basic theoretical questions around its content?

So, i.e, you'd read the guide, answer several theoretical questions about piloting/the guide/common sense, and if you pass you get a shiny digital certificate stating you've met the standards set forth by this guide. I'd keep a master list and tamper-proof the shiny digital certificate to prevent counterfeits going around if it becomes a issue.

It wouldn't have any real authority  or anything, it'd be completely optional, but it'd be a nice way to raise standards and reward people who do so. Curious on thoughts, mostly from VTC CEO's because you'd be the ones who would want to enforce such standards if it's a issue in your companies currently.

beep boop

^ The guides section is like the unofficial tools, unless they are made by a high ranking team member, they are not official. So anything like you suggested will not happen because they are not officially associated with MP

^I never said it'd have any official power or authority, it's purely optional.

You wouldn't have to do it to pilot or do anything like that. Purely optional if people want to improve their own standards.

if it's that much of a issue to administration though then I guess not.

beep boop

^Yeah, that's my point.

They wouldn't have any official meaning, it'd only be worthwhile if VTC's want to enforce them on their companies, which is why I was asking if there's any interest in anything like that, since it's to my understanding the general quality of pilot's right now is bad.

If there isn't interest in it obviously I won't pursue it.

beep boop

• 2 weeks later...

Really nice guide! But I have one concern about particularly large convoys. Not that I will host or pilot one, but I am just curious about how it could work out. You mentionned about pilot #1 leading and pilot #2 tailing in "safe" highways (4 ways highways with obstruction in middle). Let's say there's a convoy with at least 10-15 trucks, how would they manage it if they enter a rural road? Or is it a special case where pilots manage the convoy differently?

KkdaC1b.png

@causevd I've thought about making one where pilots can get 'independently certified' using the standards set in this guide and people can search a list of them, but I haven't had the time for it.

@Kr4zyB3n Same way as outlined in the guide; Pilot 1 will move a couple hundred meters infront of the convoy and act as a scout; notifying the convoy of oncoming traffic and notifying oncoming traffic about the convoy approaching (I know everyone, myself included, tends to drift and we don't pay the most attention when we think we're driving alone on a rural road - notification to oncoming traffic to pay more attention because a convoy is coming stops a lot of potential accidents). Pilot 2 will switch from the rear to the direct front of the convoy where Pilot 1 was.

The idea being that - particularly on blind rural curves - any oncoming traffic would see the first pilot car and not the 10-15 trucks of the convoy taking the turn, thus (Ideally) slowing down/getting more control as needed. Also if there is a situation where the oncoming traffic isn't the best at driving, they'd just hit the first pilot car and the rest of the convoy would have ample time to stop instead of a pileup situation occuring.

beep boop