[ARCHIVED] How to change your profile name (ETS2/ATS)

caff!!!

9/5/17 update: fixed text color, linking to web based conversion tool instead of my own (thanks @pete_agreatguy)

12/20/2016 update: using Sniper's object pascal version of the save decrpyter due to newer versions of java not working correctly with the old one

(parts of this guide are from the Coloured License Guide by @MartyTheTrucker , also thanks to @stormpeaks66 for inspiration)

Step 1: Setup

Before you can change the profile name, you first need to change the save format so that it can be read once decrypted.  Go to ETS2 or ATS documents folder (C:\Users\[Your username]\Documents\Euro Truck Simulator 2) or (C:\Users\[Your username]\Documents\American Truck Simulator) and open the config.cfg with notepad.

Once you've opened it, press Ctrl + F and search for g_save_format and change the value besides it to "2", as seen below.

1ab24a2fc01bee3422eec36b5a9d72c6.png

Now start up your game, sign into your desired profile, and then quit the game, so that the profile is now in a format you can read once decrypted.

The profile name tool requires java, you'll need to download it before proceeding further in the guide.

Step 2: Copy your profile folder

For this step find your profile folder by entering the profile folder in ETS2/ATS my documents folder, and then search for the latest modified folder, this is the profile just you just entered.  You could also use the tool mentioned below to find your profile, just input the name of the profile (case sensitive) and it will show you the folder name for the profile.  Now copy and paste this folder inside, there should be a folder with "- Copy" appended to the end of the folder's name.  This name won't matter in a second, as it needs to be renamed to show up in game.

Step 3: Rename the copied folder

For this step, use this website to get the name of the folder to match the new name for the profile.  This tool is simple to use: just go to the linked website, put in the new profile file name (case sensitive,) copy the string in profile folder name, and then rename the copied folder to it.

example:

tbGbEun.png

Step 4: Change the profile name in profile.sii

For this step, you will need to download the save decrypter which can be downloaded here.

Once you downloaded this tool, extract the contents into the profile folder that was just renamed.  Now drag profile.sii into sii_decrpyt.exe, a text box should quickly pop up then disappear.  Now open profile.sii and search for "profile_name:" without quotes.  You should see the old profile name after the :, replace this with the new profile name (case sensitive) and save this file.

Step 5:Finished

If you finish this guide, you should now be able to see a profile with the new name once you start up ETS2/ATS.  Note that all save files will be missing preview images as a side effect but everything else works.

Feel free to say if anything is unclear or to translate this guide.  The tool is also translatable easily, if needed.

Edited by caff!!!
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Upvote 10

Independent driver

On 8/28/2018 at 2:16 PM, caff!!! said:

to quote Revolver Ocelot: I love to reload shift gears during a battle delivery.

Sadly, doesn't seem to work on ATS.

Renaming folder with the small java script works fine, decrypting is fine aswell (i'm used to save edit) but the profile_name line doesn't exist in ATS's game.sii.

Closest i've found is "_player: .nameless.XXXX.XXXX.XXXX (random numbers) but nothing else. Even tried to look up for the profile name but no avail, it's just not there.

Ignore this, i opened the wrong file.

Edited by PinKPanther
  • Upvote 1

PinKPanther1020.png

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

^^ When you start messing with savegame files, first thing you need to do is a backup copy just in case something goes sideways. I followed the method, just out of curiosity and had no problems at all. Maybe last updates changed something in the saving format or the way profiles names are stored, but with a backup copy of your files, that would only mean that you lost some time with a no-longer-working method, nothing would be lost. Keep that always in mind when you decide to change/edit important files.

• True Story 1

^^ Error. You make a copy of your profile folder, you change things in that copy and then, when you start the game, you'll see 2 profiles, your original one and the renamed one. After checking that the renamed one is OK, you can simply delete the old one. If it is not OK, you always have the original profile to keep playing without loosing anything. So this:

15 hours ago, coldo121 said:

thanks a lot:angry::angry:

Was absolutely unnecessary. I'm sorry that you lost your profile, but it's you who assumed and decided that you could move and overwrite files. Nowhere in the guide you can read that you need to do that.

• 2 weeks later...

I can follow all steps easily until the drag and drop thing with the profile.sii file. I cannot open the file with notepad to change the content. I did drag it to scsc.bat file and a cmd window open. Nothing more happens. Am I doing anything wrong here?

Should I be able to just doubleclick on profile.sii to open it after the decryption?

• 3 weeks later...