Best PHP Framework

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone might be able to help me out. I am currently using CodeIgniter for my websites which I find very quick and easy to develop sites.

However, I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for a better or what the "best" framework is.

I've seen the list of frameworks in the Developers Resources, but not 100% sure on if I should stay with CI or use a different framework?

Happy Trucking!

Ben

Edited by Ratcho

It's difficult to define a best for anything, it's all dependent on personal preference, and the task at hand :)

I know nothing of PhP, but two developers that are helping Enizde build their community site both use different frameworks (one uses Laravel, and the other Slim). From my point of view, I found slim much much easier to comprehend when they send snippets over.

But yea, there is no "best", just personal preference :P

• Upvote 1

tick.png If someone has helped you, be sure to give them rep ^  

.:: Report a player  |  Appeal a ban  |  Forum rules  |  In-game rules ::.

fooe6764pi8y.png

Cf4QKob.png   Almighty moderator of the Forums   Cf4QKob.png

I currently use Codeigniter but many find it "bloated" and "resource intensive". It works just find for my purposes. I looked into switching from CI to Laravel and the overhead to make the changes seem too great, so not really worth my time.

• Upvote 1

You'll find me mostly on ATSMP. Look for Jguy in the shiny iridescent purple truck!

Following all the rules of the road and ticket free since 2003!

Slim, Laravel and Symfony all kind of builds upon PSR "standards", Slim is aimed at light-weigt, simple sites (eg. ets2mpstats.com and similar), Laravel is a bit more "medium" complexity oriented, simplifies building more complex websites, and Symfony is more aimed at high-end, we need every ounce of performance, build-it-yourself framework. But they all can share a lot of code because they use the same "standards" for eg. a HTTP response, so once you know how to do it in Slim, you can do it in Laravel and Symfony as well.

CI is on the other spectrum, no usage of namespaces (eg. it clutters the global namespace, so all classes have to be unique, making for class names like Blog_Controller, instead of a class name Controller in the Blog namespace, it also means you can't replace a class with Dependency injection, which you can in the PSR-style frameworks).

If you are comfortable with CI, there's little need to switch on an existing project, but if you plan on doing a new project, give another framework a try and see if you like it. We went for Laravel here.

Agree with what everyone say's.

If you are comfortable with CI, stick with it. You would need to spend time learning a new framework, which can take a little bit of time, especially If you don't understand design patterns.

Laravel uses design patterns quite heavily, so If you did want to move to that framework, I would suggest you start learning them first.

Dependency Injection and how IOC containers work will help you get a better understanding too.

The problem with Codeigniter is you basically have to hack it, somewhere along the line. It's difficult to unit test, it doesn't play nice with composer because of namespacing/psr etc.

There are workarounds using closures but it gets messy/hacky.

If you just wanted to build an API, I would suggest Lumen, Laravels little brother.

Good luck

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.