David [BR][pt/en]

ETS2Sync Helper - app to simplify syncing jobs with other players (now for ATS too!)

55 posts in this topic

I wrote an app to help players sync their job lists.

UPDATE: ETS2 1.25 changed some aspects of the binary save, which made the app stop working. I was already working on a rewrite of the app from scratch to fix bugs and make it faster and smaller. I just posted that as version 4.0.0 beta. Unfortunately, it's not able to sync binary saves. When you open the app it will tell you if you need to change the save format. If that's the case, be sure to close the game before clicking the  ‘Change to “Text”’ link. Then, be sure to create a new save before syncing.

UPDATE: Version 5.0.0 supports Vive la France! and ATS. Since ets2sync.com is still offline, I'm using my own job lists for ETS2 and ATS.

ets2sync_helper_5.png

How to Sync

1. Save the game (“Save & Load → Save Game”).
  2. Use Alt+Tab to minimize the game.
  3. In ETS2Sync Helper, make sure that the profile you are using and the save you just created are selected.
  4. If everyone you are going to drive with have either or all of the DLCs in the app, select them accordingly.
  5. Click “Sync Jobs” and wait for the “Sync complete” message.
  6. Go back to the game, and load the save that was synced (“Save & Load → Load Game”).

Save Format

The app won't be able to sync if the save you are syncing is binary. You can keep the save format as Text, but that might introduce a small lag whenever the game creates an autosave (i.e. every 5~10 minutes).

If you know how to enable and use the Developer Console in the game, you can keep the save format as Binary and ignore the message in yellow in the app saying that the recommended format is Text. Just, before saving the game to sync, open the console and issue the command “g_save_format 2”. Save the game, open the console again, and issue “g_save_format 0”. Then proceed with the sync process as usual.

Unfortunately I haven't been playing ETS2 all that much lately, so I don't know if I'll ever be able to dedicate the time to figure out the changes in the Binary save format that were introduced in ETS2 1.25. If I ever do, though, I'll release a new version that syncs with a Binary save format once again.

Clearing Jobs

After you are done playing using the synced job list, if you want to get rid of the synced list and have the game generate a new, random job list, you just need to do the same procedure as you do for syncing, but use the “Clear Jobs” button instead of the “Sync Jobs”. When you load the save, the Freight Market will be empty. Just call Assistance (i.e. F7) and the game will generate new jobs for you.

Download link:

http://sync.dsantosdev.com/

Source code and license:

https://github.com/davidsantos-br/ETS2Sync-Helper-4

Edited by David [BR][pt/en]
Added screenshot

Wow! Excellent work.

I'd just love to know why this functionality isn't in MP by default, there's no issues with it in theory and would save alot of headaches.

You might want to release it from GitHub itself to help you track releases, rather than through a website.

EDIT: Confirming this isn't malicious software. It works fully! Perhaps you could make an ATS variant working with http://atssync.de/?

Yeah, a few days ago I posted on the atssync.de page on reddit, asking them to provide an API to download the job list. I'm waiting to hear back from them. I'd rather it be compatible with that website, but if that doesn't happen I might just figure out a way to create my own job list to be used for ATS.

Great project, hope it will reach more people in time. By the way, I translated your project to Turkish, and uploaded GitHub.

Best Wishes, ;) Good Job.

^^ I understood that it synchronizes the work with others players, so you can find the same delivery/load that your friends and "make a convoy".

"app to help players sync their job lists with the list provided by ETS2 Job Sync" (ETS2 Job Sync bellow)

NOTE: This is about an older version of the program.

New version: 3.2.6

Added Turkish language (thanks, @MT2Atakan).

Edited by David [BR][pt/en]
The OP was updated for v4.0.0 beta

On 31/05/2016 at 2:24 PM, David [BR][pt/en] said:

I wrote an app to help players sync their job lists with the list provided by ETS2 Job Sync (http://www.ets2sync.com/).

Languages: Brazilian Portuguese, English, European Portuguese, French, German, Spanish, Swedish, and Turkish.

Download link and instructions:

http://sync.dsantosdev.com/

Source code and license:

https://github.com/davidsantos-br/ETS2Sync-Helper-2

Video Tutorial below (audio in Portuguese, CC subtitles in English).

Note: the video tutorial is still valid, but it was made with version 2 of the app. Since then, some things changed:

• Since version 3.0, it's not necessary to change the save format anymore. The app can sync with the default save format, which is zero.
  • Since version 3.2, when the app is open it monitors the game settings folder. That means that when you create or overwrite a save, the app detects it automatically. With that, the “Reload” button became redundant and was removed.

Please note that AVG antivirus may show the app as virus. That's a false-positive. As far as I know, other antivirus software don't have this issue. The app is clean, and you can temporarily disable AVG in order to use it. If you'd rather not risk it, you can still sync using the website (see below).

parou de funcionar,

Capturar.PNG

Hi!

Nice job!

I have two questions:

1: Does this tool make a backup while synchronizing?

2: Is it possible to make shortcut (key binding / hotkey combination), that allows you to synchronize job having ETS on fullscreen (without minimizing)? Example: save game in ETS2 -> press key combination -> some beep/sound after successfull sync -> load save -> enjoy

@pablo19_1f,

1. No. That might be added in a future version. For now, you can save the game twice, with different names, before syncing. Then after syncing with one save, you'll still have the other one to go back to if necessary.

2. It is possible, but I don't think it's worth the work. People aren't supposed to be syncing every five minutes anyway, so, though such a feature might be cool, in the grand scheme of things it wouldn't make that big a difference.

If enough people report having a computer with so little RAM that minimizing the game takes too long, I might reconsider that, though.

As of now, reinstating the ability to sync with binary saves is my top priority with regards to this app. I'd also like to add support to ATS at some point.

@David [BR][pt/en] Myself and my friend cannot for the life of us get this working. We downloaded the app, changed our saves to text, synced, loaded the game from the load menu as instructed, but we do not get the same jobs :(

Are we missing a step somewhere? Could this be to do with ets2sync.com being offline?

UPDATE: ”Game Change Detected” issue fixed.
There were some issues with the job list, which would cause players who don't have Scandinavia and/or Schwarzmüller DLCs to get a “Game Change Detected” message after loading a synced save. That would trigger a reset in the game's economy, undoing the sync and sending the player back to their home garage. If you had this issue, please try to sync again, because this error shouldn't happen anymore.

UPDATE: Cycle through job lists.
Since the app uses its own job list now, instead of the one from ets2sync.com, there was only one list for ETS2 and one for ATS. Now there are eight lists for each game. Every Thursday at 00:00 UTC the server will switch to the next list. The week after using the eight list, the server goes back to the first.

Note: These changes were not made in the app, but on the server from which the job lists are downloaded. If you have ETS2Sync Helper version 5.0.0 these fixes are already active for you, so you don't need to download an update.