[SCS Blog] Coming soon to World of Trucks

5 hours ago, jukeboxknox said:

^ I really hate hearing that they are limited. They have a staff of 50 plus, thats not a little game company. Maybe at one point but expectations are greater. i dislike all the dlc crap for ets2, people keep saying it doesnt interfere with ats updates. YES it does. Thats a small group of people that could be getting arizona out other states. I really dislike how long it takes them to create a map, when 1-3 people can come out with a mod, within a couple weeks.ate should be faster, and less expensive.

How would the few people who make the skin dlcs would help in making maps, as they are graphic artist, not 3d Modeler or Developers.

And there is a reason why some people can make mods with a map in a few weeks.....mainly because the 3D artists at scs made the models which are in the game, and most of the mod (Map) makers only have to copy & paste the stuff around the map, and not build everything from scratch (including making the prefabs, textures, etc.).

And keep in mind that a company does not completly only is made of developers for one area, the most usually have different parts for which they got hired......and  of course more people working on one thing does not mean that it gets finished faster, as the workload for checking/merging the content will take longer.

@McNair I only used it as a example but it wouldn't surprise me if they did...

@ShirBlackspots yes they are a small company but for 2 games same engine? They are a medium size game company a small company in today's standards would be under 25...

The issue is they want you, yes you, to leave your home likely with no compensation next to maybe fight and possibly freight... If they used a contracting method and offered $10,000 +5% of profit from the dlc, they'd likely have all maps done by years end or at least the roads... Look at what promods did... 

In another topic @RootKiller said they're seeking to hire map makers but the documentation associated with the game doesn't work. Promods afaik doesn't use the games map editing fiction, which feels too complex and under powered... Not saying it's impossible it's just down right annoying.

I'm not really going to bother learning how to make maps I tried but it's more complex than it should be, and with non fictional documentation that I can't look up stuff these no wonder why they are having a hard time getting people who can make maps...

Signature removed by a wondering ghost

SUS0M9O.gif

@Darth WazawaiThe thing you keep missing is that they HAVE given you what they promised on launch, they have given us NV and CA off the bat, the W900, updates on Arizona and its progress, amongst other things. The thing you have to remember is that SCS never assigned an exact date, time, month that Arizona would be ready, they only stated that it would be some time after release day, so that could mean 1 hour or 1 year after.

Furthermore, Map designing can be easy or hard depending on the game, genre, platform and level of detail, if you want a map that is barren and has only the main infrastructures done, then it can take a month to finish alongside the rest of the game and other games, the more detailed the map, the longer it takes, with SCS, until they have a large library of Assets and Textures to work from, every asset and texture has to be made, saved and copied to make the map, that slows development time considerably because you cant just go to the asset library and drag and drop the assets you need to make your section of map, you have to build the asset from the ground up and test to make sure it acts as it should, its physics are right, its positioning is correct, its shadowing is in the right position and its boundaries don't cause issues with other assets, that takes time, once you have a library of premade assets that are all working correctly, its much faster to make a map area because you can simply add the assets you want, ,adjust and fine tune them for their position and then move on to the next part. its simple.

Also, if you read the blogs from SCS, they said ALL the states will be a mix of paid and free DLCs, which means that some will be totally free, some will be paid for, as for price, no one knows what they will cost, if they will be singular or bundled, etc. etc., so surmising cant be done. for all we know, the states might come in groups of 4 at £15 a set, some states in between will be free, its all circumstantial so saying that it'll cost exactly this and exactly that, is wrong, besides, if you love the game, you don't care paying £10 every 6 months or so, its not like "oh here's your game, now give us £400 for all the DLCs straight up" its an "affordable" path where you can buy them over TIME, not all at once.

@coldo121I think you are mistaken on the time scale that the game has been worked on, it was mention a couple of years ago, but didn't really go into slow development until 18months ago, plus SCS are a small Developer so working on 2 games at the same time takes a lot of time. Also, if you go to steam, search simulators and by all the indie Sims there, you'll find ALL of those Sims that cost about £7 a game average put together, have the same amount of content as ATS at £15, so ATS is cheap in comparison easily.

12 hours ago, jukeboxknox said:

^ I really hate hearing that they are limited. They have a staff of 50 plus, thats not a little game company. Maybe at one point but expectations are greater. i dislike all the dlc crap for ets2, people keep saying it doesnt interfere with ats updates. YES it does. Thats a small group of people that could be getting arizona out other states. I really dislike how long it takes them to create a map, when 1-3 people can come out with a mod, within a couple weeks. They misspend there money and they are too invested into ETS2 dlc. Im not saying i dont like there product, I love that were back in the states with kenworths and soon to be better peterbilts, but come on your not a small company, this map create should be faster, and less expensive.

well that's the thing, they are limited, they have 2 games to work on, about 100 team members split 50/50 between ETS2 and ATS, that's not many people to push a game out the door really, I mean, look at Rock star, EA, they have hundreds of thousands of people working for them to pus the games out, yet look at GTA5, it was at least 5 years after GTA4 came out that GTA5 released. Furthermore, as I said before, Map creation is a varied thing from game to game, some games are fast to make the maps for because everything is plug and play, other games require the content to be made from scratch for each map section, which takes time and a lot of resources to do.

^ yes but it's a bad example... GTA V and GTA IV  don't have the same engine afaik even if it does the detail and extra components and game play content justifies the time. Ets2 and ats are the same engine, the only difference is ats has Scandinavia graphics quality which is more file end than engine. Sure before Scandinavia the engine needed updating but only for graphics compatibility...

@megadethsteve666 yes they've kept their release promises however of they are going to take 4-9 months (depending when they started Arizona) per state most of us would be nearing retirement, I my self would be retired! (assuming 9 months) see the problem?

I want a complete game before 32... Preferably 30. It's doable but they need to get cracking.

Have you even ventured into the map editing function? I bet not.... It would take literally 6 hours to make the whole hwy 1 for Canada assuming making hills is as easy as curves and if you know how to change road styles w/o it looking f'd up...

The only thing to their maps is custom buildings nothing else.

Also their latest update stated that Arizona could be the last free update for maps, it's on steams news somewhere. I'll find it later and place the link in here, my phone loves refreshing and losing everything.

As for money point, you're right, however I have my doubts they'll just let maps go the size of half of Scandinavia for under 10...  States like N.Y.or Miami will likely have a premium to them. Plus nothing is stopping them at putting free dlc's a state between each other forcing you to either console over initially, or buy the state in the middle...

15 for 4 sounds great but I've got my doubts... Them rims where 3 a piece, buying them first week was bogo. If you where a game maker would you settle with 3.75 a map when the counterpart sold for 5x that? Or based on quantity 2x that?

EDIT:

here you go most of not all maps after Arizona will be paid:

"but most further map expansion DLCs, if not all, will be paid."

Source: http://blog.scssoft.com/2016/01/american-truck-simulator-map-dlc.html

SUS0M9O.gif

@Darth Wazawai Look, assume and estimate all you want, I've ventured  well past the "map editing" crap, hell its suffice to say that im working on a full game with some friends of mine, so yes, I DO know about map making and map editing and everything else, as I said before, its all dependant upon the game, genre, quality of product and number of staff per section. The lower the expected quality, the faster the map can be produced, the more, the slower, its as simple as that. How ETS2 was made and developed so fast was the ready filed textures and assets set from ETS1, which just required a bit of tweaking and that's it, ATS uses a whole new library, which, till there's a sufficient bank of assets and texture, map creation will be slower, once there's a big bank, the maps will be pumped out more frequently, its that simple.

You're wrong about the only thing to SCSs maps for ATS being custom buildings, look at the road textures, look at the trees, look at the vehicles, look at the road layouts and cambers, there's so many different and unique things that aren't copy and pasted from ETS2 especially.

As for price, there's no point saying, oh this is for sure what's going to be and that and this etc etc etc etc etc *same old record, different day* no one knows yet what SCS are planning to do, they always work off of a supply, demand business, if enough people buy the last set of maps, then the next will go into production, if people don't, then the game stalls where it is. simple.

AS a note, im done arguing with you because its just like banging my head against a concrete wall, you have your views and you stick 1000000000% to them without a second take on anything, I look at things from a player, business and development view where things are ever changing and things can never be one thing and one thing only for the rest of eternity.

@megadethsteve666 I'm not talking about any other game... I'm talking about ats and ets2. I don't care if you're making your own game unless it's from 100% scratch in house game engine etc. Unless you've tampered with the map edit fiction in game you've got no idea what you're talking about, because every game has it's own map making tools.

You're right roads cars are different but roads are a endless loop of a small textures... Cars are basic designs with thousands of references... But if you looked hard enough you'll see similarities, not from ets2 base game but from Scandinavia...

I already agreed with you about no one knows about pricing but I'm just pointing out $3 is too little for maps with such work put into them... Scs clientele isn't that big...

As for supply and demand yes, however unless scs or you have seen the future no one knows the demand for ats dlc content now do we?

Furthermore I doubt they'll stall ats development because of a failed batch of dlc's... Else ets2 would of dropped dead by now... They've invested way too much money to give up on ats just like that.

"AS a note, im done arguing with you because its just like banging my head against a concrete wall, you have your views and you stick 1000000000% "

I doubt I'm that bad... Else you'd be dead... Also if you dont want to talk to me than simply dont reply to my posts... Problem solved, im not the problem here you typing in @Darth Wazawai and replying to me is.

Seriously tho you say I suck to things yet my post a few up contradicts this very statement making you look like a fool and a "know it all". Fact is I stick to my opinions till proven wrong, you on the other hand when you get proven wrong you get mad about it and state stuff like this...

Also the fact you claim you're looking at this as a user maker and business person it's quite laughable...  ask any respectable game maker or business person if they'd jerk their clientele on a short leash of hope for the time scs has with Arizona, they'll say no, as we are approaching 4 months soon from the release of ats with one paid dlc before the free one. Ask any gamer of Arizona dlc is overdue they'll likely say yes.

I went to school for business ok, i know things never stay the same but thats not what we are talking about now is it? What SCS is doing to us with Arizona defies everything business... Simply put because they never gave us a date other than "soon" doesn't mean you drag your feet with it and release other things that cost us money. It's like selling a broken car and forever refusing to fix it hoping it will go away...

SUS0M9O.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Archived