[SCS Blog] Coming soon to World of Trucks

wotr_logo.jpg

The upcoming major Update releases for Euro Truck Simulator 2 and American Truck Simulator will contain a host of improvements: from general map tweaks to AI improvements or improved gear shifting code, from xinput support to additional support for CSIO Technologies cool SKRS transmission shift knob to hardcore trailer connecting mode - more on this later). But today we'd like to focus on enhancements coming to World of Trucks contracts.

The biggest overhaul is hiding under the hood - a lot of our early experimental code running and storing data on our private server farm has been adjusted to run on way more scalable Amazon server infrastructure. As World of Trucks will be adding more game features over time, eating even more bandwidth, we realized that we have to move to the "cloud" pretty much with everything. This change removes several bottlenecks and frustrating hick-ups you may current experience when connecting to World of Trucks.

ats_truck_highway.jpg

External Contracts will work across all of the official map content in the games - full support for American Truck Simulator is coming to World of Trucks at last, as is support for the map DLCs in Euro Truck Simulator 2.

We have improved the client part of Contracts, so you will be able to take jobs directly from the game, without the need to Alt+Tab to the web browser and back. It's more comfortable and streamlined, making it equal to Freight Market experience in the standard game. You will be able to easily see the closest jobs around your truck's current position in the world, so making your choice should be simple. But of course you don't get "teleported" to the trailer, you always have to actually drive your truck there.

We have introduced regional setting into World of Trucks, so you will be able to adjust the units according to your local preference.

ats_external_contracts.jpg

We are now in "code freeze" stage for the upcoming game Updates - already firmly in closed beta territory - bugfixing and polishing the new features with our private group of trusted beta testers. We still have a bunch of issues sitting in our bug tracking database that we want to squish before switching into open beta mode. We are looking forward to another open beta, it's always great to see people interact with the new features, but we are still a couple of weeks from that moment. Stay tuned!
E_rpUwGD_tU

View the full article

I am so excited to receive my CSIO Technologies cool SKRS transmission shift knob. It is going to be so more realistic, and I am glad SCS is making it plug and play. Playing with a real eaton shifter is going to be awesome. I am excited to hear more about the hardcore trailer connecting mode, sounds like you need to have the truck straight on with the trailer unlike now where you can pretty much pick it up from any direction. Contracts for American truck is going to be nice, can finally record some of that stuff. I hope the update comes with the 389 Peterbilt. Seems like a monster of an update, hope its not too long after release the MP team is able to update their game. Probably a couple weeks. This is good news, some good new content and Arizona is on the horizon.

I am here to help, I hope I helped in some sort of way.

Come check out my Youtube channel, post videos every 2 days

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcwBdDxIYboOD73dPPZ8SAQ

I want Arizona...

Like the hard core trailer stuff but... Maps <_<

No word on Arizona means:

"Lookie at this, in attempts of you forgetting about the map content or the lack of"

Nice try, map now please. You've had 3.5 months for something that should of shipped on delivery date...

Signature removed by a wondering ghost

SUS0M9O.gif

@Darth Wazawai

for goodness sake, give SCS the time they need, you don't know what other projects, issues, time wasters and other such things they have going on, for all we know, they could have a serious issue with the new maps compatibility and so postponed it till its fixed.

Personally id rather wait for the content and have it bug free and perfect from day 1 than have something that is so broken and unplayable that its a joke.

Personally Ive been kinda hoping SCS would make some improvements to WoTs since ATS first released, the talk of hardcore trailer rigging sounds amazing, something that's been on my personal improvement list for quite some time, along with ETA time and distance being shown on the internal GPS as well as the Route Advisor.

All in all, im Glad SCS are even bothering to give us any sort of thing, no matter how small it might be, be grateful for what you get, not what you want.

So thank you for the info.

Can someone tell me exactly what hard core connecting mean? Well does it mean that wires will be connected when coupling the trailer or is it going yo ge more realistic meaning you have to couple from certain angles or straight up? It sounds like major improvements are in the works. To say that scs has just pushed an update to production,  those guys are fast.  Thanks so much for the update on what's going on, though I am still having issues with connecting ATS to my world of trucks account.  It always says connected to another account,  and yes the PW and username is correct.

Trucking in multiplayer and helping others where I can. 

In game rules.

^ at the very minimum I'd expect you'd need to line up the pin and hitch within a margin to hookup. Beyond that Idk, I've not clicked the link to see if extra info is included

@megadethsteve666 I know all about delays, trust me... If you don't than Google bear simulator...

steamcommunity.com/id/Egg-Roll

You want issues and delays plus a bad programmed game? Buy that game, I paid $80 for it and tell you the truth the base price is the same (I just paid more for benefits), and it has about as much to do in it as ats right now...

But if you have issues  you should never hide it... If you have issues let your clients know... While I love the realistic hookup idea which I'm fully willing to pay for, I want what I paid for first. If they apologize and offered something than great but right now I'd just take the map extension... If they release more at the same time great but not before unless it's a game breaking bug for a few or more players...

SUS0M9O.gif

^the thing is, you font know for sure what is going on, how do you know SCS have enough time to write posts? how do you know that they aren't snowed under with development issues?

plus you don't have to lecture me about bad games, just look on steam under simulations and chances are you'll see a game that is poorly made by an indie dev. who only has one thing on their mind.. £ $

the thing is, you GOT what you paid for, you got Nevada and California, which was what you were offered on release, Arizona was a promise that we would have it sometime after release along with new trucks, that was what we all signed up for on day one, Nevada, California and the promise of Arizona and new trucks AFTER release, and just to be clear, SCS never gave us a specified date or time that Arizona would be ready, just a promise that it would be next and that it would be a free DLC.

Personally, one thing I hate are people who complain and complain that they aren't getting what THEY want, so what? I want to be able to stick my head out of the open window and start yelling at idiots, but have I got that in the 4+ years ive been playing ETS2 and ATS? no, the crucial thing is, patience is what is key, the more you jump up and down demanding you get what you want, the less likely youll get what you want, the people  who are patient and supportive will get what they wish for first, while you stand there kicking up and down ad throwing a temper tantrum. The Realistic hookup is something that a lot of us have wished for since ETS1, same as paintable wheels, MY personal opinion is that SCS are working away on Arizona, but are finding it hard going, in the mean time, they are releasing new features and content that has been requested for years and years while they have the time and tech to do it.

The thing that you should always remember is Majority comes before Minority, if the Majority wish to see more customisation and new features and let map updates be worked on in the background, that's the way things will run and visa versa, all that I will say is patience is a virtue when it comes to games, the more you kick up and demand, the more you look stupid and like a spoilt kid, the longer you are patient and wait, the more dedicated you look.

^ dedication doesn't mean patient... The only reason why I've not bailed on ats all together isn't because of scs, it's here. Last time I looked at the comments I'm not the only one annoyed, in fact I'd say I'm the least annoyed based on some of those foolish comments... If the hookup is free than fine I  guess. but that's not going to bring me back to ats esp since ets2 is getting it too. There's literally nothing they are pushing out to get me back to ats.

Also you're wrong, retail version was supposed to have Arizona from day 1 stream users shortly after... Plus a state every 4 months or something like that...

Now don't get me wrong I've been a software user/fan since 18wos and other trucking games including the one from the 90's which the name surpasses me right now... I'll always patronize them unless they become EA which looks like they might be... Only difference is "for now" they actually fix the game for free :lol::lol::lol:

Also ats is kinda a cash grab indie game... It's basically a Scandinavia copy with new trucks (justifies the price difference) loads(aka trailers) and some new textures. I'm happy they released a American one after years I truly am it's just they've not kept some promises which I would love them to keep...

What happens in real life for normal people like you and I when we become over optimistic? We usually fail, scs is currently demonstrating this perfectly...

SUS0M9O.gif

Would rather they brought out new trucks and maps for both ETS2 and ATS instead of silly little things like "hardcore trailer" mode or whatever it's called. They said about 2-3 years ago they were going to bring out a DLC with Coaches in it for ETS2 and even put Bus Stations in the game.......yet nothing has appeared since!

SCS should try to work on one thing at a time instead of telling people that they are doing stuff and then leaving it half done.

^actually that's wrong, they were going to bring out a Bus Sim game using the same map as ETS2, but the idea fell to the back burner and never really surfaced again, hence why nothing appeared and we have phantom bus stations everywhere.

the thing is, making games and game DLC costs money, for a big company like EA or Rockstar that's no issue, but for indie companies like SCS, every penny counts, so if you're struggling for money, what do you do? make small DLCs for people to buy which makes enough money to finish the project, if the money cant be found, then the game cant keep being developed and the game comes to a close very fast.

@Darth Wazawai

Well you must have got a different press release than us in the UK because in Squirrels stream and in the blog leading up to release, both retail and steam versions were being released with Nevada and Cali only, with Arizona still being worked upon, that's the official blog a week before release, so I think your information is totally wrong.

Also, just because youre not "satisfied" with ATSs content etc etc etc, doesn't mean ALL of the world agrees with you, for me, someone who strongly backs SCS and has done for the best part of 10+ years, development has always been slow, but quality is high, if you want quality you have to wait for it end of, if you want to go to SCS HQ, pay them a couple hundred thousand to put into development and dedicate thousands of man hours working on the DLCs, be my guest, if not, sit back and zip it. youll get what you want, when its ready for release, not a day before or a day after.

theres the difference between you and I, for you, youre disappointed because you haven't got what YOU wanted, whereas for me, I got what I wanted, a game with big American trucks that I can play the life out of over years and years and years and enjoy no matter the size or detail of the game. Besides, youre contradicting yourself there anyway, you've been wanting a ATS game for years, youre given one and then you complain and call it a cash grab indie, which is wrong, a cash grab indie is like half the indie Sims on Steam which are buggy as hell, barely playable, crash every second of the day and have physics that are as much good as FS16.

My optimism is based off of what I know as fact which is ATS will get developed over years and years with the game flourishing into a title breaker like ETS2 become, that's my optimism, based on facts.

3 minutes ago, megadethsteve666 said:

making games and game DLC costs money, for a big company like EA or Rockstar that's no issue, but for indie companies like SCS, every penny counts, so if you're struggling for money, what do you do?

IDK.....who would've thought that publishing exactly the same game twice in a row with the same price and 1/3 of the content and by flooding piantjob DLCs instead of bigger packs (e.g. wheels DLC, Scandinavia and so on) will have such results?

^personally, I never see the exact carbon copies that people keep talking about, the only things that are the same are the engines themselves, the basic UI and the basic mechanics such as drivers, buying trucks and all that good stuff, everything else is different compared to ETS2, ranging from not really distinguishable unless you look closely to blazingly obvious differences. What I cant stress enough to people is that games aren't a 5 minute thing to develop, they can take weeks/months/years to perfect and hone correctly, indie games are the most effected because the low numbers of people able to work on the game plus high costs for licensing and other expenses will always mean that a game will come out in fits and starts.

Hell when I cut my teeth with coding for games it took me 3 months solo to perfect a basic AI and UI system, even before going into the games detailing such as background and foreground mechanics and displays as well as the coding, all in all it must have taken the best part of a year to build and what did I have to show for it? something that a big time developer could build in the matter of minutes, so when SCS says that it will take them a few months to get Arizona ready, I personally know it will taken them that long, especially depending on their time scale and other things.

@megadethsteve666

Maybe you're right about the release... idk thought it was supposed to be bundled with it... no matter.

You're right i dont think the whole world agrees with me... You pay $20-30 depending on region and you get maybe 80 hours of unique content, after of which w/o MP it would become repetitive and even in MP it still becomes repetitive... I'm willing to give them time... It's just all they do is tease us w/o any real detail upon release dates... It's kind of like teasing a hungry wolf with a nice chunk of fresh beef, something is going to give in and it usually doesn't end well for the one teasing. Not to mention all these "tiny" dlc's (last one for both games i bought, and i'm going to be buying the new country flag dlc's soon), just makes it look like they are "working" on it but we care about your money more than giving what we promised. A free update is still a update, take those off of the paid dlc and release the free dlc asap, free's more people to produce better dlc's.

I'm with you i bought ATS for the years of enjoyment but i'd expect to be given what was promised. Sure they will release it eventually, but deliberately throwing a "free update" into Development Hell just to say it's being worked on btw heres a micro transaction dlc for a buck is a deplorable way of doing business. I get it ATS is going to be huge and ETS2 is old. ETS2 micro payments is fine but how long are ATS users going to let SCS leech money off of them before they say f-it and leave? I'll forever by a dlc i like from them, if i dont like it or not in a rush to own it i'll wait for the inevitable 40-50% sale in 6-8 months time. I bought ATS for 3 reasons NA Trucks, SteamPunk DLC, NA Map. So far they gave 1 more truck with more to come i got the SP DLC all im missing from what i want is the map promised. Would i love realism? Hell yea, would i love more maps? Well Duh, NA isnt 2/3 states... Like i said i was expecting Arizona to be released... If they where to release it tomorrow i'd be one hell of a happy camper. i dont care if they release it with 20 dlcs along side it, tho i would blame them for being money hungry over completing promises...

And as it stands now ATS looks like one big cash grab... Here in Canada its: 28.99+3.29

What do we get?

3 Trucks

2 States

Some Rims DLC

ETS2:

Main ETS2 Map

Scandinavia (about the size of Cali maybe bigger)

Benz name (finally)

4 paintjob DLC's

Some Rims DLC

If you exclude the base map and benz as they where pre ATS but include Scandinavia for the sake of equal quality etc

Total? 24.15 No sales included. plus base game and going east if you really want...

Sure ETS2  has been around for 3 years and many updates have happened, but i dont feel like waiting 3 years to get all of the USA at a cost of $400...

They also stated that Arizona is possibly the only state map that will be free. So depending on the price we are possibly looking at MS Train simulator... lets say every state avg's 10 a pop thats 47, or about $470... Whos going to spend that? You? Me? Well maybe but what about others? Than you include Canada Mexico and if they get broken up too... Plus all those DLC's during said time... Currently ets2 at full price is about $110 which is fine with all the DLC's but ATS could be $1000 by the end of it...

as for copycat ats the only one i can find real fast and obvious is the repair shops...

There are more but these are the easiest to spot...

LXkfjnk.jpg

zm9CMuT.jpg

SUS0M9O.gif

I can't imagine all states will cost the same as they vary in sizes and likely in content. I can't imagine paying the same price for Texas as I would for Massachusetts. 

Personally, I only care about Oregon and Washington due to living in the area. Though, I know I will b**** to myself incessantly about inaccuracies as I already do with what little I am familiar with in California. 

American Truck Simulator is nothing but a scam, pay £20 for a game that isn't even half finished, and then we will have to pay even more to get the rest of the map.

They worked on that game for well over two years, there is no reason why they couldn't release the full map from the start. They say they are still working on it, but I'd bet my life that the map is already fully complete and they've decided to take parts of it it out of the release version so they can con us out of money later.

And before anyone says "you don't have to buy it".................I damn well won't be!

^ I really hate hearing that they are limited. They have a staff of 50 plus, thats not a little game company. Maybe at one point but expectations are greater. i dislike all the dlc crap for ets2, people keep saying it doesnt interfere with ats updates. YES it does. Thats a small group of people that could be getting arizona out other states. I really dislike how long it takes them to create a map, when 1-3 people can come out with a mod, within a couple weeks. They misspend there money and they are too invested into ETS2 dlc. Im not saying i dont like there product, I love that were back in the states with kenworths and soon to be better peterbilts, but come on your not a small company, this map create should be faster, and less expensive.

I am here to help, I hope I helped in some sort of way.

Come check out my Youtube channel, post videos every 2 days

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcwBdDxIYboOD73dPPZ8SAQ

Archived