Major ping fluctuation, is it a server issue?

locomoco

When the server starts taking 1000 players plus, I notice my ping fluctuates more and it gets to a point where my ping (ms) intermittently fluctuates majorly (up and down 50-100 at a time)? I remrmber when I first started playing this game online and my ping was 15-20 now it starts at 28 in perfect conditions.

You're lucky... 28ms isn't a lot...

I've got 70/100ms. Always.

Only one year ago (the first convoy I did) I reached 43ms. Nothing lower than that ping.

And I think that more people are connected, more the ping goes up (but not of a lot of ms).

If you want to keep your ping low, disconnect other devices from your local Internet, keep closed YouTube (if you're watching videos) or uTorrent/Steam Game Updater (if you're downloading something, block it) and, if you have got Skype, disconnect from it.

5632256.png  | ❔ Need help? ❔ | Allowed mods | TMP Rules |  5632256.png      If you liked what I wrote, just click the "Upvote" button! Thank you! ↗↗↗

1275462519_role_VeteranVI(1).png.e3386be

Haha, you guys are super lucky! 

I'm currently staying in South Africa... my ping to UE #1 and #2 is about 205-220ms.... and to the American servers its like 300++ms...

Now I would like to explain (I've done research on this in the past), when you have more people online at the same time on a server everyone's pings will be different and will vary from person to person (depending on where they stay and how far away they are from the server as well as from you). And with this everyone's ping will be higher due to all the data packets coming in from different places all at ones (got to do with the PING and PONG factor in sending and reciving data packets).

NB: PING and PONG (in ms) will be determined by the distance that each player is from the server and from each other. This is due to the fact that the data packets have to be sent and recieved by everyone in order for the players to be in the same place and part of the virtual world at the same time (Or in simpler terms: to be able to see and interact with one another)

So for example... someone like you with 28ms (very good actually) are in a server and I come in with my (lets say) 207ms, will cause your reciving data to your computer to take longer (therefore increasing your ping levels) and for me it will aslo rise (but only a little in comparrison to yours). And with this (and everyone else online) ping levels will change with the amount of people around you and with the distance from you and them and the server. 

Hope this kinda made some sence... Feel free to look it up on the internet or even on YouTube (they explain it in much bettter detail and in a more understandable way).   

• 2 weeks later...

Archived