Parking skills?

sennybee

Hello guys, I am new to this forum and I am also pretty new to ETS2. I'm pretty excited to play multiplayer and am just waiting for the new update. What I would like to know most importantly is how skilled do I have to be at parking trailers in reverse? I've heard there are some veterans who can get it on the first go but at this stage it takes me a few tries and a bit of time to get the trailer perfectly aligned. What I would like to know is if taking too long to park trailers will cause any problems? 

Thanks.

I wouldn't worry too much about causing problems while parking so long as you remain within the non-collision zone. It can be a bit of a pain sometimes if someone is trying to park and they are obstructing your view, but I think most of us will understand that sometimes, reversing just doesnt go as smooth as we'd like.

I have close to 200 hours now between ATS and ETS2 and while I am a whole lot better than I was when I first started, I still have trouble sometimes. It will come to some easier than it does to others, just keep practicing and you'll get better with more experience.

just dont go to fast, also i zig zag back and forth (just a tiny bit) i find it helps me control where the trailer is at and it doesnt just start turning one direction when i think it will go straight, otherwise all the drop off zones are non collisions, so you dont have to worry about hitting anything besides the walls, and if someone gets impatient and drives through you while parking just wait til they move and it will make it easier (this is if youre doing it in first person, i cant imagine itd make much of a difference in 3rd or top down view)

EDIT

-------------------------

also forgot to mention that in ATS you can simply skip the parking if you have the game, however you wont get better at it if you dont do it

A little piece of advice, though:

Although it is a NCZ, I recommend you wait for your turn to park. Don't simply go in and rush through another player who's parking. Not only you will block their sight and make it difficult for them to do their maneuver (because they won't be able to see well what they are doing) but you will also block your own sight and mess yourself up. Be polite and patient and wait until whoever got there first finishes their parking. It will make the task easier for both of you.

Some people should really get a license before even thinking about buying Euro Truck Simulator 2 or American Truck Simulator. Drive safely, folks!

GP53e75.jpg

< < < Don't bet on sinking ships because they'll turn your chips to trash! > > >

41 minutes ago, Mike Dragon said:

*snip*

A thousand times this. I'm not super pro at reversing but I do decent at getting in and out of the way in as little time as possible, but some people will reverse in tandem with me because they cannot wait for me to finish, only to phase their trailer through my cab and trailer. Then they lose their sense of direction because their screen in just a mess of clipping polygons and they start sawing their truc back and forth through your viewpoint...

By now if he had of waited 2 more seconds, you would have easily been finished dropping your trailer and he could have been halfway through disconnecting his own but he had to be first. 

I almost wonder if it's a bragging thing. Like everyone has to be super quick at reversing to prove their worth or something. I'll wait for a yard to clear so I for one don't embarass myself while reversing and second I can actually see to reverse! 

──────       ▄▌█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█ ---
─── ▄▄██▌█                         BIG BAD HAULERS                        █
                                    ▄▄▄▌▐██▌█             THE OWNER OPERATOR GROUP           █ ----                            
███████▌█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█
▀(@)▀▀▀▀▀▀▀(@)(@)▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀(@)(@)▀▀▀ ----

Want to drive your own rig with your own paint and live the virtual owner operator life? PM me for more! 

To learn how to reverse avoid busy cities... So further away from Rotterdam the better ;)

My parking skills are a hit and miss lol I've got videos of me doing things players claim can't be done (gas station w/o leaving it) and being very patient than just owning the place lol. I don't upload my bad parking because... Perfectionist?

Signature removed by a wondering ghost

SUS0M9O.gif

@Zomb Lee

Exactly! I dare say I am pretty good at reverse parking (especially with the European trucks in ETS2. After all, they are much shorter than the American ones in ATS so that helps) but I do mess up whenever someone gets in my way like that. It really upsets me when I am doing my thing and someone rushes in. I can't see what I am doing, they can't see what they are doing and both end up messing up and taking way longer than it should to park the trailers. Sometimes I wish I could smack them in the head when that happens. WAIT FOR YOUR BLOODY FREAKING TURN YOU QUACK!! YOU ARE NOT GOING TO DIE IF YOU WAIT FOR JUST A FEW SHORT SECONDS!!

Some people should really get a license before even thinking about buying Euro Truck Simulator 2 or American Truck Simulator. Drive safely, folks!

GP53e75.jpg

< < < Don't bet on sinking ships because they'll turn your chips to trash! > > >

^

"Quack" is just the sound ducks do, just in case you are wondering if it may have any other meaning (if it does then it is not of my knowledge). It's not an insult. I could also say "you son of your mother". That's not an insult, either as far as I can tell (we all are sons of our mothers, aren't we?). Another thing I could also have done (and sometimes do) is simply type "<insert insult of your choice here>". I still wouldn't be insulting anyone. And either way, I did not really intend to actually throw an insult at anyone. I am well aware of the rules.

And honestly, say "you quack" is just as senseless and harmless in any way as saying "you meow", "you oxygen", "you tweet", for example. Now, if I had said the name of an actual animal (like, "you duck"), then that could be considered an insult. After all, nobody likes to be compared to an animal, do they?

But if an admin, for whatever reason, do disagree with it then whatever! I won't argue and instead will promptly rectify my post to reword the sentence. The last thing I want is violate any regulations and put a smudge on my crystal clean reputation.

GP53e75.jpg

@Darth Wazawai Nice work! I discovered the very realistic gas station delivery point in ATS at the unfortunate timing of having the triple axle tanker (longest tanker in game I think) while being online in a relatively busy hour. 

A man's gotta know his limits, so I'm not ashamed to say I skipped parking that trailer more for the sake of everyone else in the area...I didn't even attempt it lol.

I'm definitely better at reversing in ETS 2. Aside from the shorter vehicle lengths, I swear the Euro trucks have very very tight turn radiuses. Like you could turn on the inside of a dime in a truck from ETS 2 but you'd need a small stadium to turn around a W900 in ATS

──────       ▄▌█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█ ---
─── ▄▄██▌█                         BIG BAD HAULERS                        █
                                    ▄▄▄▌▐██▌█             THE OWNER OPERATOR GROUP           █ ----                            
███████▌█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█
▀(@)▀▀▀▀▀▀▀(@)(@)▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀(@)(@)▀▀▀ ----

Want to drive your own rig with your own paint and live the virtual owner operator life? PM me for more! 

3 hours ago, Zomb Lee said:

I swear the Euro trucks have very very tight turn radiuses. Like you could turn on the inside of a dime in a truck from ETS 2 but you'd need a small stadium to turn around a W900 in ATS

That's because they are a LOT shorter than the American trucks, like I mentioned earlier. Plus they don't have a "nose". The driver sits right above the front wheels. The shorter length gives them a much lower turn radius. You actually can get similar results with the day cab on the Kenworth T680 or Peterbuilt in ATS, btw (because of their shorter chassis). Their turning radius is definitely not as tight as any Euro truck, but they definitely feel a LOT more agile around corners than the big rigs with sleeper cabs. Especially the Kenny W900. That thing is awesome but it handles like a log.

Playing with a keyboard, for example, I can easily turn 90º degrees around a corner at 20 MP/h on my day cab Kenny T680. My sleeper Pete and W900, however, will not even think about turning a mere 50º if I don't drop the speed to 15 miles or less. On my Euro trucks, I can manage those 90º turns at around 25 miles per hour (just a a guess on the speed. I never really checked, mostly because I play ETS2 with kilometers instead of miles, like I do in ATS) just fine, though. Well, except for the 6x4 Mercs. Their chassis are quite longer than most other trucks in the game. They handle similarly to the day cab Kenny T680 in ATS.

GP53e75.jpg

On 4/16/2016 at 0:27 PM, Zomb Lee said:

@Darth Wazawai Nice work! I discovered the very realistic gas station delivery point in ATS at the unfortunate timing of having the triple axle tanker (longest tanker in game I think) while being online in a relatively busy hour. 

A man's gotta know his limits, so I'm not ashamed to say I skipped parking that trailer more for the sake of everyone else in the area...I didn't even attempt it lol.

I'm definitely better at reversing in ETS 2. Aside from the shorter vehicle lengths, I swear the Euro trucks have very very tight turn radiuses. Like you could turn on the inside of a dime in a truck from ETS 2 but you'd need a small stadium to turn around a W900 in ATS

i personally like the longer trucks when reversing, or the longer trailers i guess, i find shorter trailers turn way to fast and its much easier to jack knife one where longer ones (i.e. a 53') turn alot slower and you can get alot more precise maneuvers out of them, and yes the ets2 trucks do have a much tighter turning radius, however that comes at the cost of being incredibly easy to flip compared to longer trucks haha

If you drive into a yard and there are just one or two other trucks in the process of collecting/dropping off trailers, it can be fun to just stop and watch (fun as in added realism, not sadistic voyeurism). However, I really wish people would park their trailer and then IMMEDIATELY VACATE THE LOADING BAY! And yes, those capitals were intentional.

With regard to the original OP, don't worry about parking, it's just a game. I refuse  to park using any external views (for the added challenge) and my parking is atrocious. In fact, I am of the opinion that unless you engage forward and reverse at least 6 time (each) throughout the manoeuvre it isn't proper parking. I have an HGV license and I find parking real trucks much easier than ETS trucks. Also, I spent 15 years 'parking' 50,000 tonne ships and I daresay my colleagues would tell you I wasn't very good at that either.

No need to worry as was stated above most drop offs are in NCZ. With that being said I still try to wait my turn and no go through trucks or parked trailers. This adds way more realism and there have been times where going through a truck we both got damaged, so I try to not do that. I am no pro but if you just take a load to your shortest destination and do this again and again or even take a trailer and park in a random spot in any of the business. This way you're still protected by the NCZ but you can back up and park as many times as you would like. Practice is the only way, maybe watching a video or two may help a little, but nothing is better then practice.

I am here to help, I hope I helped in some sort of way.

Come check out my Youtube channel, post videos every 2 days

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcwBdDxIYboOD73dPPZ8SAQ

YouTube has the best tutorials pn learning how to better your backing. Personally my backing skills come from watching others do it in ATSMP then I'd go grab a trailer and do the same thing. Also some of the experience players won't get it on the first go so I wouldn't worry about being perfect. We all have our days :)

Trucking in multiplayer and helping others where I can. 

In game rules.

Tonight I managed to record what I can only describe as the greatest parking I have ever seen. Unfortunately I was eventually kicked for being AFK so I didn't get to see the conclusion to what I can only describe as a ballet on wheels. In absolute honesty, this particular manoeuvre began 10 minutes before I started recording.

^

The smallest and easiest trailer to park in ETS2. Plenty of room to maneuver and a small truck... wow....

Btw, you can avoid the auto-kick by simply opening the chat, pressing the Space bar once and then Enter every few minutes.

Well, now allow me to show a bit of my parking skills. (Bear in mind that I steer with a keyboard)

GP53e75.jpg

^That was great parking, particularly with a truck with such a long wheel base. I refuse to leave the cab when parking, because I am stubborn like that. I also don't use the pop-up wing mirror so I have to rely on peering at the tiny mirror on my right hand side. Needless to say, my parking is atrocious.

Very nice park job, I am about the same on that one, usaully need 1 or 2 pull ups. Once I got it on one go, probably wont happen again i keep trying and always end up with 1 pull up. I hope Arizona comes with some tricky spots.

I am here to help, I hope I helped in some sort of way.

Come check out my Youtube channel, post videos every 2 days

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcwBdDxIYboOD73dPPZ8SAQ

Thanks, guys. :)

Yeah, I don't like to use external cameras or additional on-screen mirrors when driving/parking (I also don't like the Route Advisor on the screen. I already have a GPS on the dash, after all). Especially parking. I love the challenge! Besides, in a real life situation, we'd not have those things to aid us in parking and since I like a certain level of realism, why to bother with those, right? And that's why I get SO upset when someone rushes in when I am parking and blocks my sight. It's really annoying to reverse and only see a mess of polygons on your face and mirrors all the time, not being able to see where you are or where you have to drive into.

ATS brought some very cool tricky parking spots and I am in love with them! :D

GP53e75.jpg

Archived