Experiencing kernel error or random crashes on TruckersMP Island? ×

Steam Virus - Important / Warning

StuartD

I agree with all said posts, thanks for the warning Stuart.

As also mentioned, whatever you do, do NOT click on any links given to you through Steam. Always verify it with your friends first.

It wouldn't (and hasn't yet) affected me, as I haven't got them messages, and I have Norton Internet Security which has protected me from many "Back Alley" websites... I could do with renewing it though. It's running out.

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

WARNING: Somebody sent me a link even though i didn't know them and kept spamming me it and do not click it, I haven't: 

Spoiler

youareanidiot.org/

so if anybody gets this spammer please report immediately and don't click link it's a flash player virus as i found out on the web.

Edited by God
Hidden malicious URL.

vkdg7t.jpgbanner

I know there are not a lot of victims on ETS2/ATS2 compared to other games, but do take care about persons that want to give you a picture link of their CS:GO items but, instead, it will automatically download a virus. NEVER click on a really weird link and be cautious whether it is a not known person or a friend.

5383666413.png76561198169027512.png

• 1 month later...

This thread is rife with misinformation.

Nothing will happen if you open the website. It's when you open the downloaded file that things go wrong. Do not open files you don't recognise. Also, note that it shows the extension. Windows, normally, wouldn't do this, however, he has named it "blahblah.scr.exe", and windows will not show the ".exe" because it's a recognised filetype. This is why, in my options, I have it set to always show filetypes.

I also don't download things from websites I don't trust.

On 7/28/2016 at 9:10 PM, Sharpthy said:

This thread is rife with misinformation.

Nothing will happen if you open the website

Uhm... Not really. 

I know this isn't related to Steam Virus' but it's still an occurrence for people on Steam to get set IP grabbing links for DDOS attacks, especially during Streaming or online gaming. 

The best bet is to just avoid links in general, that way no harm done. 

• Upvote 1

?q=76561198010396994&theme=Default

On 2.6.2016 at 11:19 PM, SgtBreadStick said:

WARNING: Somebody sent me a link even though i didn't know them and kept spamming me it and do not click it, I haven't: 

Hide contents

youareanidiot.org/

so if anybody gets this spammer please report immediately and don't click link it's a flash player virus as i found out on the web.

As far as I know, youareanidiot.org is not harmful anymore. The whole thing is really old and back then, it opened a huge amount of browser windows with a blinking smiley singing "you are an idiot hahahahhahaha" and then it crashed your PC. I recently visited the website in my virtual machine, completely without any security, and it only showed the animation [youareanidiot.org/youare.swf], nothing more. Even though some antivirus programs might warn you, it is safe to visit. Just turn your volume down if you use headphones ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Somebody sent me a file known as "SONAR.JSDownloader!g3" and i later reported them and then i found out it was latest virus and is now protected but, the 'Username' of the person that sent me it was SinlistyKiller93 but was later blocked completely removed from Steam and nobody can find him but there are people who copy that name. Whoever got this sent to them please say.  But this virus is now gone and removed from web and is protected! :) 

vkdg7t.jpgbanner

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just don't add anyone on steam you don't know IRL and don't click on any links unless you trust the person. Problem solved.

PS: Those who post pictures here you should redact part of the link because chances are someone will come along and manually type it in to their browser. 

On 10/30/2016 at 7:56 AM, InstantAvant said:

this never happened to me.. i have steam guard enabled

Steam guard or not, that won't protect you from links. It just protects you from someone trying to log into your account.