Steam Virus - Important / Warning

StuartD

Firstly, I can't stand people who are out there to make trouble for everyone else. If you think about it, each person who (in my opinion, stupidly) clicks on links sent via bots ultimately lose out on their entire steam library.

Call me old fashioned, but the ol' trick of "Reading it backwards" works for me every time. The amount of times I've seen people get fooled with links that look like official links to large trusted websites. Not only this, but I have a tendancy to ask about the link.

"What is this link? Where does it take me? what does it do? Who ARE you?"... A bot won't reply, or if it does, I doubt it'll have the Artificial Inteligence to distinguish between multiple questions in one message, and it will definitely not be able to tell you something personal about the person the message is supposed to have come from. "I'm your (personal details) friend from (country/state/provinence).. why'd you ask?".

This trick works rather well with all bots that send phishing links to people via (back in the day) MSN, Skype and other instant messaging protocols.

Edited by DrToxic
  • Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

Quick tip to everybody, set your profile comments to friends only/private. The phishing bots are now attacking public profile comments with 10+ comments including the same text and the same phishing link :/

You can set them to friends only/private by going to your profile - clicking on 'Edit Profile' - clicking on 'My Privacy Settings' and then by choosing the friends only/private option

y1u9Gtd.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Just a heads up if anyone doesn't know this already, do not even click the link. Clicking the link itself can result in the webpage grabbing your cache/cookies meaning your passwords are gone anyway. I recommend not accepting invites from anyone you don't know, OR do not accept any from Private or level 0 Steam accounts. 

?q=76561198010396994&theme=Default

Miles: technically not possible unless there's quite a major bug in any of the major browsers (which there are no CVEs about).

Please stop spreading crap like cache or cookie grabbing sites, since all browsers have protection against that, there was a couple of bugs back in the late 90s, but since there's been few of those kinds of bugs and if there have been it's mostly been because in-experienced people have rolled their own browser engine, not because a browser most people use have a bug.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...