Steam Virus - Important / Warning

StuartD

Very important warning.

To add, the message can also come in other forms such as:

"WTF dude?

<insert image link here>"

According to my research that I did when my friend sent me the message:

- It can open up an invisible web browser window and automatically offer up your items for trade to someone else

- Can be used to spam the infected persons friends to infect even more people

Something like that was going around czech facebook community few months ago. The *.scr file is an executabe, same as *.exe files, this extension was used to add extra screensavers to Windows but now it's misused to send these viruses. Don't also download *.com and *.bat files if you don't know their origin, they may contain virus too!

• Upvote 1

This type of thing has been going on for a while already on Steam, the phishers just keep changing the type of message they send. But sadly a lot of people have fell for it =/ 

Just a few days ago 3 people who I have had on my friendlist for a few months sent me messages like the ones above, didn't really have any other choice except to remove, block and report them to Steam..

Just a few tips that have helped me a lot:

Well, first of all, the most important thing, never click links without looking at the link first. If it is something that looks really suspicious and especially when it comes with a message like the ones above, don't click it, even if the message was sent by somebody who has been on your friendlist for a while.

The phishers accounts usually are accounts that are private or have not been set up yet. So basically if you get friend requests from somebody on Steam and they have a private profile, it might mean that they just are showing their profile only to their friends or like in most cases, they are phishers.

Nowadays some of the phishers are using real profiles but the amount of games and the last played game (and when the last game was played) pretty much shows that the account is a phisher. They usually have about 5 games (or so) and the last time they played something was in 2008. (Once I had a phisher send me a request on Steam and I checked their profile, it said that they played Train Simulator 2015 back in 2008 even though that game was released just a few months ago lol)

In cases where the profile is public, check the comments section of their profile. If there is a lot of '-rep','This is a phisher',etc comments, it pretty clearly means that the account is a phisher :P

And make sure that your account is protected by Steam Guard. You can enable it from Steam - Settings - Account - Manage Steam Guard Account Security (it should be automatically enabled but it doesn't hurt to check to make sure that it's enabled)

• Upvote 1

y1u9Gtd.jpg

Thanks for the heads up Stuart.

I'm always skeptical of links from any sources other than trusted ones (photobucket, imgur etc.) and never click them unless I know what they are. 

Something like that was going around czech facebook community few months ago. The *.scr file is an executabe, same as *.exe files, this extension was used to add extra screensavers to Windows but now it's misused to send these viruses. Don't also download *.com and *.bat files if you don't know their origin, they may contain virus too!

^ This. Unless you know exactly what it is for sure, do not download it!

My personal gold rule #1 on Steam...

"Never open any links other than YT, on steamcomm with guys which i don't speak much, or i know 'his style' of writing."

Aaaaand ... That's all. Just every link sended on Steamcomm (with 'strange message') for 95% is about to hack your account...

Before opening this type of link, just check if this was sended by REAL GUY or BOT (or previously hacked/virused acc/pc)...

if i'm online you can FOLLOW ME ON MAP! //

if you have 'something' to me then write PM in English or Polish!

i don't accept anyone on steam!
photo.jpg facebook_48x48.png Twitter_logo_blue_48.pngdb7f21ef324bf7c1b313e517461a0ba9.png
3522842343.png

In my computer installed ESET Nod 32 and I'm protected  :)

Just because you got an Antivirus installed does not mean you can assume that everything is well all the time, there are plenty of viruses that hide from the AV in ways that makes it difficult even for the OS to know that it's there(there's even proof of concepts that makes it *impossible* to know you are infected without running a scan with a known(as if that is possible) un-infected machine).

*always* be vigilant and don't click on unsolicited links, if in doubt, don't click, be critical, you might think you are a small target, but the attacker don't care how small you are, you are still +1 to his botnet, or one more to scam, obtain sensitive infromation from.