Experiencing kernel error or random crashes on TruckersMP Island? ×

Multiplayer on a mac?

OneSloZ

Question

20 answers to this question

@OneSloZ Mac is currently not supported.

@sgpch1983 Eventually, SCS will stop supporting ETS2. It's going to happen, even though it may take several years. At some point it's more beneficial to develop a new game rather than supporting an old one for them, and they will do that.

When it comes to recruiting own developers for linux or mac, this isn't an easy job as the mod itself is complex, and we need to be able to guarantee a certain quality, and we need to have updates ready fairly quick, in order to update all clients at the same time, to ensure compatibility with our servers.

Having our current developers do it is an option, but again, it's a massive increase in workload for very little benefit, as we would not gain very many users by doing so.

• Upvote 1

HumaneWolf - Website - Twitter - GitHub

Ex-Developer

^ Wine no longer works, as the OS X version of Wine lacks 64 bit support.

I made a guide for OS X users who can use boot camp for dual booting with Windows here on the forums.

Whether you can see it or not because it needs accepting, I don't know, but it's still there if it does work/gets accepted.

Edited by heyhococo
Removed dead link- Topic deleted?

/\ Alright Microsoft have been doing some pretty weird things since Windows 10 was released. That still doesn't make them redundant. They're willing to support the community (mostly users using Windows 10). Windows is simply better for gaming since the OS can handle mega graphics cards and intel chips. Linux is mainly just for internet and document use. Mac is meant for office work not for gaming on steam or origin/other. We all have our own idea on which OS is best. I don't want to put you off any OS with my comments on them.

Hopefully you see the light of my point.

- Beefy32659

If my comment helped, Please give a Positive Rating above ↗ ↗ ↗

sry but graphics card drivers from intel, nvidia and amd work perfectly fine in linux.. and cpus anyway.

i did/do play games in linux and it works quite well.. sometimes with more fps than in windows.

many developers incl. scs software allready support mac and linux (aka *nix plattform) and there are hopefully many developers to come.. dont know why a mod should not support what the game allready supports. the only reason i can think of, is that the developers aka mwl 1. dont like mac and linux - which is a not so intelligent reason not to do it. 2. dont want the extra work or 3. dont know how to do it which would mean thay need to add to the team some linux/mac programmers.

the best way would be going open source, but that was discussed and denied (for reasons - for me, unknown/not understood).

oh well.. i just leave it here and keep the hope up.. at least scs is working on there own multiplayer, and im sure thay will build it for all 3 plattforms.

hope dies last!

sysp-73354.png

There is a difference between a company developing for multiple operating systems and a small team doing it for free as a hobby.

Remember that Windows, Mac and Linux are working different in many ways for programs (Memory allocation for example), which means that every patch will be delayed due to porting.

Once ETS2 isn't supported anymore by SCS, our devs can add some awesome features that are very complex to update every time a patch is being released. At this point, we can think about supporting multiple OS since updates won't be in a forced way as now -> A patch from SCS means we need to patch.

So basically, supporting multiple OS is causing too much work to support for our devs at this moment.

Scar | Retired Legend

You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.

Banned: HELP! - Report a player - Help - Rules - Staff recruitment - Complaints/feedback

Let's just say that Windows is most common and widespread, so the devs have chosen Windows over other OSses. Once SCS discontinues support for ETS2, then the devs can really get to work and come up with all sorts of new things such as other OS support, and possibly come out of alpha stage.

Also with regards to @Beefy32659_YTs post, I own both Mac and Windows, and I can say that (In my point of view), Windows is for regular use and gaming, Linux (All Distros) for recovery CDs and light web browsing and office programs, and Mac OS X for professional applications such as music technology, photo editing and video editing. However OS X also makes for a very reliable and less virus prone computing experience, so it's just up to the users taste.

And with everything else above this, OS X has a very different file structure. So instead of C:\Program Files\Truckers MP\launcher.exe, it's Volumes/Macintosh HD/Applications/ETS2MP.app so it's a big learning curve for the devs, and if they can't do 32 and 64 bit support simultaneously, good luck getting them to do Windows and OS X together..

(That got quite rambling... Didn't want to look bad and have 3 different posts. ;))

the problem is.. scs sayd thay will never abandon ets2.. there is no (until the scs own mp is finished) new europan trucking simulation game!

edit: also i play on slackware and windows.. i want that to end befor i have to switch to spydows 10. Windows must be gone befor windows 7 has its end of extended support. and it would be very sad to lose mp than. lets hope scs finishes its mp till than :D

• Upvote 1

sysp-73354.png

It would be helpful if the Windows-only requirement was made more obvious on the website. Some people (ahem) might end up buying ATS and playing the 2 hours requisite only to find an unusable .exe when it finally lets them download the mod.