Participate in MP development

PurplProto

I'm an avid programmer and have been programming for around 4 years now. Currently, I only know 4 languages but, I'm always willing to learn others. I don't have many projects that are worthy to say I've made or contributed to, and so I'd like to expand that list. 

Therefore, being a gamer and loving the multiplayer mod, I'd like to know if there's any way I can participate/contribute to its development?

Unhandled Exception:
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at Signature.GetSignature()

Maybe you should drop a pm to someone from the developers (preferrably mwl4) and explain yourself to him and that you want to participate. But always remember that avid != good.

"Just because others break rules, does not grant you the permission to break the rules as well"

Please drive respectful on the servers. Thank you!

18 minutes ago, RayRay5 said:

But always remember that avid != good.

Oh of course! That's why I want to get active in some projects to improve my knowledge :)

By helping others, I'm helping myself. At least, that's how I look at it!

And thanks, I'll send a message I just a sec. 

Unhandled Exception:
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Is there a suggestion box....  I'm a 40 year driver, 30 years a owner operator and hauled about everything under the sun... Was a CDL instructor, and AZ state CDL examiner.. Love to offer up what I know.

Suggestions: When you get AZ on the map, include some cattle trailers, feed lots, and process yards for "Fat Cattle" .  Is it possible to get Doubles in the mix?

Love the CB aspect. Still trying to figure out how to set up Windows 7 with my headset/mic so people will hear me.

Great sim.

^

This forum/website is not directly affiliated with the developers of the singleplayer-games "Euro Truck Simulator 2" or "American Truck Simulator", but only the multiplayer-modification of it.

For suggestions/feedback related to the content of the games, direct your attention at http://forum.scssoft.com/

PS: A post such as yours should normally be submitted as a new thread, instead of going off-topic in someone elses thread.

^ yea bit quick answer, doubles got broken the game chat thingy create a help topic for, everything else is scs related, tho if you bug them about doubles it might push them in making them :P

@PairedPrototype

Not to discourage you but last year I offered a server and boy was that a interesting discussion... Ultimately it got turned down, likely like you will be. You need to be trusted around here, possibly know a few higher ups (personally?) For a while before you get such a privilege... You're fairly new and low post count. 

What might help you is by providing work you've done (links to etc)

No matter best of luck :)

Signature removed by a wondering ghost

SUS0M9O.gif

6 hours ago, MrCreeper said:

if MWL is like na m8

you could always donate as a contribution if you want

Yeah, there's that! :)

1 hour ago, Egg-Roll said:

^ yea bit quick answer, doubles got broken the game chat thingy create a help topic for, everything else is scs related, tho if you bug them about doubles it might push them in making them :P

@PairedPrototype

Not to discourage you but last year I offered a server and boy was that a interesting discussion... Ultimately it got turned down, likely like you will be. You need to be trusted around here, possibly know a few higher ups (personally?) For a while before you get such a privilege... You're fairly new and low post count. 

What might help you is by providing work you've done (links to etc)

No matter best of luck :)

I'd have to say though, the server is slightly different situation (in my opinion) i.e. they need to guarantee server uptime, and they'd be trusting you with the entire server etc... Debugging any problems that occur, would have to go through you, which would slow development as well.

Of course, for contributing code, I'll need to see what they already have and what issues + plans that are in the works, in which I wouldn't mind signing an NDA. Also, they the don't like the code I submit, they can always refuse it and not add it to the game.

Last of all, that is my problem! It's like the vicious circle of the job market, you need the experience to get a job, and you need a job to get the experience...

Currently on my GitHub, there's just two projects I've made, one is a very small C# program that took under 2 hours to write and test etc... (I made it to make my life easier, and thought I would share it with others)
But the other is an Android app, it's being made due to my university course, so it's quite scruffy and not at all how I want it, but time is of the essence here, so I can't afford the time to make it look better yet.

Though, I have a project in mind for Twitch, (yes it's another bot however, it will do more). Not sure when I'm starting it yet, but I'll probably write it in java too for a bit of cross-platform support for those Linux streamers :)

5 hours ago, Taizun said:

^

This forum/website is not directly affiliated with the developers of the singleplayer-games "Euro Truck Simulator 2" or "American Truck Simulator", but only the multiplayer-modification of it.

For suggestions/feedback related to the content of the games, direct your attention at http://forum.scssoft.com/

PS: A post such as yours should normally be submitted as a new thread, instead of going off-topic in someone elses thread.

Agreed. If he does make a post in the correct forum, I'll be willing to help resolve the issue! :)

Unhandled Exception:

^I offered to sign a NDA as well and I simply would pay the bill, they would have full access to the server. Whether I did or not was their choice. The server would of been located at the same location as the current Europe servers.

I didn't mean for my post to seem offensive but I'm sure everyone higher than community managers have known each other for a while, or at least knew rootkiller.

As for the deadly job loop, it's actually incorrect esp in the coding sector... Every job I've gotten irl I've had 0 experience in, I've never been fired. For coding I self taught myself, if I wanted to pursue it as a career I would start out learning and help code open source projects (smf for web, Linux like Ubuntu for C* programming language). I've tampered in c++ (or a different one I forget now) php mysql JavaScript css html and can read codes and make sense of it usually, but I'm no expert nor do I wish to be. Back a few years ago yes, but now...

SUS0M9O.gif

^^

I do hope I successfully get a job then after university is over! Though, I'm actually more networking focused, just programming is becoming a hobby of mine, and I want to expand on it so it can help create later job opportunities should I need/want it.
C#, Java and Python are really my most knowledgeable in but, I have written MySQL, HTML and CSS as well. XML is rather simple (I mean in terms of using for data storage in programming), and I'm starting to get to grips with JSON too since my Android project requires me to use a few APIs.  
I feel the next step I should take a (let's say hardcore) lower level language like C or C++ as I've never even created a blank project in either lol. 

Unhandled Exception:

^Just for future reference i still get dinged if you use the @username calling like: @Egg-Roll

Plus Mod's dont like people quoting the person above (they'd hate a game i used to play with old friends years ago :lol:)

The likelihood of getting work straight out of school in almost any field of choice is low (not impossible), to increase the chances prob start looking 6 months before graduation (maybe even 12 months depending on your local job resources). Actually if you still have a few years left watch the job market for patterns from the big companies, that way you can have a better head start when you are ready to work. When you approach nearing graduation maybe send out your resume to places you wish to work. Just make sure you get involved (if not here somewhere else) in a few project that would still be active at said time.

I personally like CSV over XML, and i need to start learning (want too) JSON, the API here outputs CSV format(last time i checked).

For a from scratch C/++ project maybe a scheduler (or maybe a personal finance tool)  that's easy to use works on your computer and smartphone (app/program, could have a web interface too) with a cloud base style setup? somewhat like google calendar but if you could make it better than google calendar. they are kinda a dime a dozen deal but are usually easy to program easy to run minimal bugs. by doing the sync setup between mobile and computer esp if you set everything up your self server side (not saying blow $5000 on a server computer and hook it up to your internet connection, tho you could do that, just not a very smart idea with information).

Basically a all in one project that would test everything you have learned and and learning :)

SUS0M9O.gif

@Egg-Roll Ah, I kinda like it too, saves space in the message box :lol: And I have noticed that. I'm trying to only quote if I'm referring to a specific bit of the message ah. Just habits from other forums I guess.

Anyway, I still have the rest of this year, my placement year (a year of voluntary work for a company) and my final year (which I'm dreading already:unsure: ), so I'm still a fair time away from job searching just yet, but I mainly want to get a head start with experience in programming because it's becoming an increasingly valuable skill to have, and I just simply enjoy it (sometimes :lol: ).  

That sounds like a great idea, though, I could only use the network option on the LAN side, since I cannot port forward in my accommodation as we don't have direct access to the routers. The fact that they're real nice Cisco ones makes me want to get my hands on them even more though! But I do have my own personal router/switch/AP combo unit (just a normal broadband router to the everyday user) that I could use for this. I could try and mix in as many languages as possible for extra challenge :D maybe have a small MySQL DB too, and use JSON for data transfer between the devices. My PC should be able to handle the load fine since it would just be me using it anyway. I could play with JavaScript a bit more and maybe throw in some PHP for good measure as I've never tried that either. I like this idea, thanks! :) If I do try it, I might even go as far as attempting to make a small API for it to see if I could handle a task like that. 

One thing I do want to know, though, which I'll end up searching about at some point, is how does one force a program to run a foreign file/dll etc... I'm assuming C/++ would be needed because it seems a very low operation. But for instance, SCS never made E/ATS to use the MP files, so how did they force it to run? I understand there would need to be some kind of injection, but where, when and how? That's another reason I want to get involved. I want to learn how this all works. I just find it this stuff interesting/fascinating. 

Unhandled Exception:

I'm on my phone usually so I tend to leave stuff out or bad grammar lol...

To the best of my knowledge the game it self doesn't read the mp mod directly one could say. Afaik what this mod does is replaces the ai traffic with our trucks, just to put it simply. The delayed visual of trucks spawning in the current version is due to the new injecting system they implemented last year. The user interface and chat are simple overlay injections. The date and time injection is done server side (client gets the info from the server and forces the game to that time)

Also the game has a folder for 3rd party sources I forget where it is however.

For the potential project you could always rent a kimsufi.com (ovh) server or a ovh virtual sever. I've also got a server from one provider (it's about $15/month). Cheapest is ovh you'll need to install everything from scratch however, which might prove useful in the field.

SUS0M9O.gif

@Egg-Roll Pssst I use a Chrome extension called Grammarly ;) I'm usually good with grammar, it's mainly my spelling when I type too quickly -_-

Okay, I understand how that works, but it's the injection. I did a little Google last night about code injection, and only found examples for SQL in the form of XSS, which would seem far too easy to pull off on a pre-complied program... And I have noticed the game syncing up. More notably for me in ETS2 when I hadn't played for a while and I got £2m :D 

I might rent a server, however due to low budget, I'll need to wait till I've tested it locally before beaming it up to an external server ah. And I like to have the control on the server so that not a problem :)

Unhandled Exception:

Well, I've spoken with him, and it appears I'm not knowledgeable enough in the right areas. So I'm going to improve :)

I'm still going to stick around the forums though, so I'll see you guys around! :)

I guess this thread is no longer needed, so a mod can lock & throw away the key :D

Thanks all of you for the help! :)

Unhandled Exception:

Cool, just be careful Amazon might try auto charging your credit card....

"When your 12 month free usage term expires or if your application use exceeds the tiers, you simply pay standard, pay-as-you-go service rates (see each service page for full pricing details)."

SUS0M9O.gif

@Egg-Roll Oh, I'll definitely keep an eye on the usage. 

I've had a thought of trying to make a new job sync for ATS since apparently the old one is no longer working and the devs aren't active on the project anymore.

Another guy complained about needing to have .Net which makes me assume it was written in C#. So I'm tempted to have a crack at it in C++ as maybe my first proper project in the langue.

Maybe I could use AWS for the central point. At first, I'd have a small group of say 6-10 people to try it and see if it works, but also get an idea of how fast it uses the quota. By then I'll probably see how much interest there is for the job sync and calculate if it will go over the quota each month.

Unhandled Exception:

Luckily for you .net was released for Linux last year (assuming aws will permit it)

The issue with job sync is not everyone decrypts their files, so your server would have to do it. That really be the only thing needed everything else is a search and copy, than search and replace the other save files. Alt could create a custom load market but that takes more work... Maybe in the future?

If they have source files for the service you shouldn't have much of a issue in fixing it.  

Also I have 2 servers for this: https://forum.truckersmp.com/index.php?/topic/12912-the-most-comprehensive-suggestion-ever-xd/
(Topics kinda funny to read)

Neither are being used really so if aws doesn't work out I can prob make a folder/user (no ssh, just ftp, well maybe I'll have to look into it) for you to work with (no mysql however it's installed, flat file would work fine for your use)

One is a 1 vcore vps from ovh and the first one on this page: http://oneprovider.com/dedicated-servers/paris-france.  I have a Kimsufi as well but it's being used (mostly data)...

It'll take a little while if you want to use one as I hate using ssh on my phone, and don't carry my laptop (desktop does not have ssh access)

SUS0M9O.gif

@Egg-Roll Awesome, thanks and I'll have a little read on that thread :)  EDIT: Had a brief read, and it looks very interesting. I've said to my friends about wanting to see (even just a small bit) of AI traffic in MP, so you're right about players wanting it aha. And that pun about AI drivers was great lol. Anyway, as I say below, I need to get back to Java! So I'll read some more later. 

I didn't know .Net was brought to Linux, but I guess that's MS trying to jump on the open source bandwagon... I guess the application the user installs could decrypt the save, right? I'm not sure, I haven't done any research into it yet, or even typed a line in C++ lol, it's just ideas at the moment. And I'm far too busy with my Android project at the moment to even think about learning another langue and write a program lol. 

But I probably will try something. I'll have a look at their source, since like you said, it shouldn't take much to fix. And then I might try writing it in C++, just because I already know what I want it to do and the logical steps to take, but it will help me start my journey in C++ :) 

Unhandled Exception:

^ afaik .net is still closed source just now works on Linux operating systems.

I need to get back onto that project and with a laptop (not the best one but...) it should be easier to do so

My servers won't be going anywhere any time soon also. Just simply pm me and give me about a week ( :D yes I can be that slow)

SUS0M9O.gif

^ .net is MIT licensed like MS' other Open source projects, you can already find mostly functional .net in open source format here: Github

Heck, you can deploy asp.net webpages to docker with a few clicks in VisualStudio ;)

^ I get a little suspicious of MS at times... They're up to something. Like have you see what they're doing with Windows Store? Making games exclusive to them. :unsure:  There's got to be something going on with them, .Net and Linux. I have no idea what though. 

Unhandled Exception:

^ perhaps they're losing money on server licenses and this is a way of getting in on Linux? Maybe this part will be free but if successful they might expand other things that might not be :D

While I knew .net was free I didn't know it was open source :P

SUS0M9O.gif

Archived