ATS Euro 1 speed limits on Interstates should not ever force 37mph

Leopold67

I have much respect for this game, and I believe with the right direction and decisions from the developers this game could be one of the greatest PC games/mod of all times. I also acknowledge and greatly respect the fact the the MP MOD is at least partly, or entirely the donation of free unpaid efforts by World of Truck admins, coders, etc, who voluntarily put hard work into bringing this MOD for free to the community. 

However I strongly dislike the effects the speed limit setting has on the Euro 1 server (the consistently high pop server), when on Interstate highways (I-5, I-10 , etc -the red and blue divided highway limited access expressways for those who may not know American road terms*), that happens to periodically enter a city limit border (boundary). The admins should (IMHO of course) do whatever necessary to adjust either the zone definition of certain cities which have the Interstate highways section passing through so as to exclude those roads from the city limit, or exclude the highway from the speed limit effect (the imposed city 37 mph (miles per hour) limit) when entering a city boundary.

The situation at times borders on the absurd. For example when in San Francisco there are many street 'blocks', (hills even!) and stop light intersections -a very large part of the virtual SF area that somehow is not defined as being within SF's city limit, and thus has no imposed 37 mph, and players careen through that area at reckless top speeds, yet stretches of I-80 (interstate meeting my above description*) that passes through Reno Nevada, that is completely devoid of intersections and side walks (etc), and cross traffic (it is in the desert!), but yet for some reason the Reno city limit overlaps the Interstate, and players are forced down to 37 mph! The inconsistency and illogical aspect of this design is honestly appalling, and I'm stunned that it passed from developers and early game testers into the public hands in this state.

I do not accept and strongly reject any response (reply) that suggests that I should go to a different server that has no speed limits imposed. A player should not have to choose between a low pop server which does not have a defined speed limit system, and the main (and only consistently high pop) server which does have these egregious errors in the application of the city limits speed concept.    

Again, with much respect to the community and the admins/coders who made all this possible.

Leopold

I think a lot of that stems from the native game. There are parts on Freeway 99 where the speed limit drops to 35 for no reason at all. I've driven up and down 99 it NEVER drops below 65 mph for cars and 55 mph for trucks. Only time it might is during roadwork but that's it. 

there are a few areas which get annoying, such as when youre leaving southbound out of Sacramento, theres a restriction just as you climb up the hill before Stockton, usually when youre about to shift gears too, so you do tend to lose some momentum up the hill, the worst has to be the restrictions around Reno NV, the fact that they come and go so often on the run up to Reno and then you have the extended Limit pretty much from the first overpass till you get way out of Reno (I understand the length because of the straight roads and speed, but it can be frustrating for traffic leaving Reno, youre stuck at 37MPH for what feels like and eternity.

I've posted a bug report already about this issue. Nice to see I'm not the only one that gets annoyed by it. I've tried playing on EU 2 a couple of times but you just get people juggernauting past you as fast as possible, not my cup of tea thanks; hence why I stay with EU 1 even though the city limits send me mad.

Shiftin' gears and drinkin' beers

^EU2 has become the server everyone who loves driving doesn't want to touch, all it is are kids running their trucks at 100+MPH on back roads, wrecking themselves and others in the process and then respawning to do it all again for kicks, hence why most of us do stick to EU1 and have to put up with the annoying speed restriction (although im talking about the ones that don't deem to make sense where they are placed or are so short that it feels like a misplacement) there are areas I would personally like to see incremented speed limits, instead of complete limit that takes you down to 37, areas like Oxnard could do with low speed restrictions to try and space people out enough so that people don't get backed up at peak times as much as they do at the moment, not to mention areas such as the hill up into Nevada (down sorta toward Bakersfield and Fresno, cant remember the road number at the moment) but a fair few people take that steep and sharp drop down way too fast and careen into oncoming lanes frequently, that could do with a restriction to slow traffic coming down IMO.  

^ most of the ATS US1 drivers have been good sports, unlike ETS2 EU2 where every time I've played on it has resulted in some form of accident. I think the city location prefabs are a bit annoying but having to manually code any overrides seems like something that would be for a later time.

Independent driver

On 8/28/2018 at 2:16 PM, caff!!! said:

to quote Revolver Ocelot: I love to reload shift gears during a battle delivery.

I would appreciate a least a response from someone in the management/development of the mod, in some form of acknowledgement of the issue, and most ideally a pledge to address it some time in the near future. I fear that the issue might be 'back burnered' (set aside)  for a long time with the justification that players who don't like it can go to another unregulated server.

I do know at least a few players in my personal circle of friends who consider it much more then a 'bit annoying' (imo it nearly ruins the illusion of driving in a real world), and have quit playing and have moved on, at least partially because of this issue (this and the many road design and driving signs errors).

This is a simulation (of american trucking) -the word itself 'simulation' carrying with it a greater degree of expectation of realism, that the poorly designed speed limit system undermines.

I admit to speeding, well its never out of the 5mph grace but as soon as you mention something speed related to someone on an unrestricted server, you get the whole "go back to eu1 moaner" line. The other I was careered into going up an off ramp and it was my fault because I wasn't going mach 3, seems legit.

I don't mind slowing down a bit going through Cities but the real thing that annoys me is when I'm clear of City limits and hit a speed restriction.

Shiftin' gears and drinkin' beers

^ And as I have already I also do prefer what I call the regulated server (Euro 1) instead of the alternative 'need for speed' server(s)  as McDodge cleverly describes. Having a system a speed control is important, and I appreciate the need for it. 

The issue again is entirely only the application of the speed control concept when it effects the Interstate expressways. The speed should be a minimum of 55 mph, when near cities (never 37), and then later 68 mph is fine for the often congested rural sections of I-5, but in further remote areas of the map, the Interstates, to satisfy the realism that many of us expect or expected, should be 75-80 mph (like Nevada).

^EU2 has become the server everyone who loves driving doesn't want to touch, all it is are kids running their trucks at 100+MPH on back roads, wrecking themselves and others in the process and then respawning to do it all again for kicks, hence why most of us do stick to EU1 and have to put up with the annoying speed restriction (although im talking about the ones that don't deem to make sense where they are placed or are so short that it feels like a misplacement) there are areas I would personally like to see incremented speed limits, instead of complete limit that takes you down to 37, areas like Oxnard could do with low speed restrictions to try and space people out enough so that people don't get backed up at peak times as much as they do at the moment, not to mention areas such as the hill up into Nevada (down sorta toward Bakersfield and Fresno, cant remember the road number at the moment) but a fair few people take that steep and sharp drop down way too fast and careen into oncoming lanes frequently, that could do with a restriction to slow traffic coming down IMO.

It's true players go fast w/o speed limits enforced but I don't play on eu2 for ats, I play on the USA server and I've had the reverse of what you said -.-' eu1 has a bunch of bumbling idiots throttle down giving 0 ducks about you and won't share the sideroad during turns. On the USA server they actually try not getting banned and slow down 75% of the time.

I try avoid the winding side roads and stick to interstate 5, yes I peddle to the medal but I've not crashed around other divers nor crashed with a payload. I also tend to stay in the left lane tho that doesn't stop stupid people... as in one of my videos is another topic...

Ets2 eu1 ats USA 1, I find ats very slow at normal speeds

Signature removed by a wondering ghost

SUS0M9O.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Archived