Linux Version

Slimey

Question

4 answers to this question

As much as I like Linux, I think a Linux version should not be one of their priorities... at least, for now.

The thing is, the mod is still in alpha. As far as I know, they have to hook into the game's memory in order to implement multiplayer - rewriting the code just because Linux manages memory in a different way (that's my guess) would just be a waste of time that could be used to implement new features in the Windows version.

There are way more gamers using Windows - that's a fact.

And then there's testing for compatibility between different distributions... yeah, in my opinion, not the best idea now. Maybe once the Windows version is fully ready, but definitely not now.

• Upvote 1

Clarification:

We have never said we don't support linux because it is too expensive. We don't support it because it is too much work for little benefit for us, we don't have the time to maintain two different versions. The same applies to Mac, we don't have the resources to maintain multiple versions effectively.

HumaneWolf - Website - Twitter - GitHub

Ex-Developer