Overtakes on continuous line on ATS MP

carlsagan

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why do people want to drive as fast as possible ? it's not a race , you don't drive a race car, you're...trucking.

I admit, if there's a long straight road and the guy in front of you has the odacity to go anything less than max speed , overtake him, but in a way that you don't clip his trailer or merge back 2 feet in front of him. Shouldn't be too hard on a long straight road. And yet, experience so far shows otherwise.

It's all fun and giggles to mock drivers who drive slow and - maybe striving for realism - but it stops beeing funny when "pro drivers" who are so sure of their abilities cause an accident and blame it on the guy who was doing 30mph on a straight road.

I find it revealing how so many conditions in real life are replicated in the game, and how so many mistakes are beeing done, just as in real life.

Speeding, overconfidence, not paying attention and disregard for others - those are the culprits. In real life, and, surprisingly, in ATS too.

stvsmaller_zps107050c2.png

Doing the Multiplayer Hardcore Challenge on the Europe #2 Server - Currently level 15

Why do people want to drive as fast as possible ? it's not a race , you don't drive a race car, you're...trucking.

Because if you're playing on keyboard - there isn't much fun in 'driving', except you're driving fast enough.

Playing with a good wheel and a shifter would simpy not allow you to drive that fast or will require good skill, which obviously isn't required with the keyboard and 'auto gear'.

The problem on that roads is that most people will go full speed (if in Nevada) and top 55 mph (in California). I usually drive by the speed limits and don't care if someone overtakes me. But overtaking a big truck with a very long trailer going 55 mph takes quite a lot of time, even if you're doing 68 mph ... And most people coming the other way will be doing 68 mph too, so there's a lot of chance to find someone in front of your truck while overtaking, in a map so small and with the amount of drivers in it.

I've had to hit my brakes to let the player overtaking to merge and avoid an accident, several times. Some other times, even after I started slowing down, the player decided it was safer to go left, out of the road, just to crash or flip the trailer. And then there's the players that don't respect any speed limits, so I may be driving 40 mph, someone is coming from behind, faster. The speed limit changes to 70, so I start accelerating, the player behind keeps approaching... And starts the maneuver to overtake... Man, I'm going 60-65 mph, you don't have the speed to overtake... Can't you see that?

Of course, all of this was playing in EU#1, but I think that in EU#2 it will be even more difficult, as players there are those who like to drive full speed.

Because if you're playing on keyboard - there isn't much fun in 'driving', except you're driving fast enough.

Playing with a good wheel and a shifter would simpy not allow you to drive that fast or will require good skill, which obviously isn't required with the keyboard and 'auto gear'.

Oh? I drive with keyboard and always have to deal with realistic understeer while the wheel drivers can make 90 degree turns at rediculous speeds. In addition, you can use sequential shifting when playing with keyboard just fine if you don't like automatic. Works for me.

^

Thats not the thread theme, no need to be offeneded, no one said:' All keyboard drivers are speeding or being a low skill drivers'. I said 'the amount of speeding and low skill players is much bigger with the keyboard then with the wheel'.
If you think driving a good wheel is easier, then you probably never had a hands and feets pain after a 10 hours driving. Pressing a key will never require so much skill as real driving or wheel driving, because it requires a little bit more then couple fingers.

Wasn't offended, merely making an observation.

I don't know about pain after 10 hours of using a wheel, I've never played that long, I will have to take your word for it. :)

BTW when playing with keyboard, making constant steering corrections to make you go in the right way is no picnic for your wrist either after a few hours. ;)

Ok so let's mess up everyones logic here.

Keyboard users: It is a million times easier to drive with a keyboard on this game compared to 18 WoS Haulin (if anyone ever played that era of SCS games here) where you would hit the A or D key and your truck would try and roll over cause your steering angle tries to go full left/right ect. Now its smooth and gradual, you can even steer with your mouse if you want to. You have driving aids like the gearbox retarder where it will brake for you and slow you down if you go X mph faster than what your cruise control is set to. So theres not really an excuse for 'bad' driving and going flat out everywhere just by saying "I'm using a keyboard, I can't help it."

Steering wheels: If any steering wheel user has bought the W900 (what a silly question) you may have noticed that there isn't a display for what gear you have selected. Now if you're going full tryhard like myself you will have an Eaton Fuller gear pattern with advanced gearing you will know the struggle. When you come up to a junction and everyone is driving like idiots, you gotta accomodate for other idiots going up and down the road at 68 in a 55 (if you play EU1 that is) so if you want to turn onto a single track road going into Nevada for example. You gotta wait for all the impatient people who speed up to close the gap on you pulling onto the road, wait for a few people to turn coming the other way. Then when you finally get going and a truck is right up your ringpiece giving the horn what for (I muted that straight away) and flashing cause you cant remember what gear you're in, what split your in, or worst case scenario what range your box is in then it can get pretty annoying when you have people who want to be Ricky Bobby in a semi-truck.

Shiftin' gears and drinkin' beers

Steering wheels: If any steering wheel user has bought the W900 (what a silly question) you may have noticed that there isn't a display for what gear you have selected. Now if you're going full tryhard like myself you will have an Eaton Fuller gear pattern with advanced gearing you will know the struggle. When you come up to a junction and everyone is driving like idiots, you gotta accomodate for other idiots going up and down the road at 68 in a 55 (if you play EU1 that is) so if you want to turn onto a single track road going into Nevada for example. You gotta wait for all the impatient people who speed up to close the gap on you pulling onto the road, wait for a few people to turn coming the other way. Then when you finally get going and a truck is right up your ringpiece giving the horn what for (I muted that straight away) and flashing cause you cant remember what gear you're in, what split your in, or worst case scenario what range your box is in then it can get pretty annoying when you have people who want to be Ricky Bobby in a semi-truck.

Fuller is quite simple to drive, compared to Volvo's or Scania pattern where it doesnt even fill all the gear 'slots' in the stick. You got 4 main gears forwards and thats it. if you drive with the 13 speed version. you dont even have split gears in the low range. and even in high range.. Why use them? you aint hauling anything "heavy". One thing i'm bothered by the game is that you cant shift without the clutch.. so when i'm driving my muscle memory just doesnt work with the game logic.. I try to shift without the clutch every time since i was used to doing it. Same with clutchbrake.. I try to push the clutch pedal through the maximum point for the brake when i'm putting the first gear in.

Obviously a cure for that is to just drive more and keep the gears in your head rather than cheating from the computer of the truck..

Attention span of 5 seconds, in best cases 15 seconds if its food. Patience of a newborn. Uncooperative in teamwork, unable to hold intelligent conversation. Four-wheeler's mistake triggers roadrage for hours.

My truck shows the gear :D

To the right of the mileage, that small white box

XKcXQugh.jpg

We do not ban for this, unless it results in an accident.

You should esp if there oncoming traffic, forcing us off the road or slow down...

doing 30mph in 70mph long single lane i'm sure its breaking the law.

Not with your hazards on warning you are slow :D ppl who do this irl irritate me when they are not under the slow vehicle laws (like farm equipment)

Signature removed by a wondering ghost

SUS0M9O.gif

One thing i'm bothered by the game is that you cant shift without the clutch.. so when i'm driving my muscle memory just doesnt work with the game logic.. I try to shift without the clutch every time since i was used to doing it. Same with clutchbrake.. I try to push the clutch pedal through the maximum point for the brake when i'm putting the first gear in.

Actually, you can float the gears in ATS.  Under the H-Shifter setup options, just set the "shifter layout behavior" option to 'advanced', then you can shift, split and range select without the clutch.  If you don't match the RPM correctly, it will just give you a "grinding" kind of sound effect and keep you stuck in neutral until you can get the RPM to match.

I understand why you don't ban for this. The map is slightly flawed in that is has double yellows on a lot of those Nevada stretches. That being said too many people think it's ok to go as fast as possible and give little to no thought about overtaking another truck. Just last night I got forced off the road twice by someone trying to overtake me without checking for on coming traffic.

Just my 2 cents into the conversation. From experience (admittedly, I am Canadian, but travel frequently into the US where I assume it would be similar) the letter of the law here states that yellow lines are suggestions, whites are requirements. I assume this at least mostly rings true in our southern neighbor as well. What that means is someone from the Ministry/Department of Transportation has assessed the road and deemed it one of 3 basic things (in my own words):

1 - solid yellow / double yellow - Passing NOT recommended due to either hills, corners or intersections

2 - dotted line / double dotted - Passing allowed when safe to do so

3 - one solid, one dotted line together - Only the side with the DOTTED line may initiate a pass. Often used in situations like down hills where only the traffic passing down the slope can see clearly to pass. A vehicle travelling up will not know what is beyond the hill or if it is safe.

Unfortunately, the game seems to favour solid yellows in most places, but I think if someone does a correct and safe pass in an appropriate area, the lines should remain a suggestion and not a "rule."

hHG9121.png

Archived