How to avoid accidents

CurtisVL

How to avoid accidents

(some of them at least)

Tip 1:

This is something you'll learn when you drive IRL (At least in the UK). Mirrors, Signals, Maneuver.

That means, when you want to do anything, you should follow that. For example; You want to turn right off a road:

Firstly, you should check your mirrors for traffic behind you that you might be stopping in front of. (Mirrors)

Secondly, turn on your indicator and let it run for a little. (Signal)

Finally, maneuver; Start to slow down and make your maneuver, in this case, turning right. (Maneuver)

Tip 2:

When travelling down a highway/interstate, if you see someone coming down the on-ramp, switch lanes so they can join the outer lane.

A lot of people do not check their mirrors when joining a highway/interstate, although they should do that, you should also be giving way to them whenever possible.

Tip 3:

If you see someone trying to turn a corner in front of you, sit back a bit so their trailer can move more freely.

If you get too close to the junction, it makes taking the corner a lot more difficult for the other person and also risks them crashing into you.

Tip 4:

On single-lane roads if you are travelling with the wall to your left, you should pull over to the right to allow oncoming traffic to pass. Flash your lights at them to signal them to continue on.

This is just a suggestion I have found, if the traffic with the wall on their right tries to pull over then they are usually off-roading, which is not a good idea.

Tip 5:

This tip is specific to the multiplayer mod; When entering any depo, do not barge through the gate if someone is there, a lot of the no-collision zones start/end right on the gate - You will crash and cause damage to them/you, be patient.

Tip 6:

Know who has right of way at an intersection.

If you are attempting to cross a junction, for example, turn left and cross oncoming traffic then you do not have right of way, the traffic coming straight does.

If you attempt to race across the road in front of traffic travelling straight, then it can end badly for you and them.

Tip 7:

Keep a safe distance between you and the vehicle in front.

If the vehicle in front suddenly stops, you need space to stop behind them. Consider that if you are hauling a trailer and they are not, they will stop a lot quicker than you.

Tip 8:

Don't forget to check the position of your trailer.

When you are on windy roads, your trailer can easily start cutting across the other lane; This can quickly cause accidents. Always check your position.

I'll try to update this guide with other tips I find. The main thing to do is to use common sense.

Good luck, and happy trucking!

(Sorry for any typos, I will attempt to fix any and also add images at a later time)

• Upvote 3

kvt_truckdriver_bar.png

Nice tips, common sense mostly.

What i'm confrunted with, is that, even if you take every precaution possible, some random guy can still smash into you while you wait at a stop sign, or purposely hit you because you're not doing the speed limit and you're in his way.

Some accidents on MP cannot be avoided, but at least make it so that it isn't your fault.

Keep updating the post, it's good stuff !

stvsmaller_zps107050c2.png

Doing the Multiplayer Hardcore Challenge on the Europe #2 Server - Currently level 15

Good guide! Let's hope people pay attention and look at this. Could I add another tip if I may:

Make sure you know what side of the road you'll be on at UK to Europe ports. Many times I've seen people not intending to ram me but they do because they forget which side of the road to drive on. Left in the UK, Right in Europe. ;)

You're in the ATSMP-specific guide forum.

Nice tips, common sense mostly.

What i'm confrunted with, is that, even if you take every precaution possible, some random guy can still smash into you while you wait at a stop sign, or purposely hit you because you're not doing the speed limit and you're in his way.

Some accidents on MP cannot be avoided, but at least make it so that it isn't your fault.

Keep updating the post, it's good stuff !

That's something that really bothers me.

Now, I don't usually follow the game speed limit, I usually follow the server speed limit when safe to do so; However, I respect people that are following the game-set speed limits and don't just carelessly try to slam past them at any opportunity.

As you said, some accidents can't be avoided, but at least make it so that it isn't your fault. :)

Thanks for the feedback!

kvt_truckdriver_bar.png

Should also mention visual courtesy. Use your signals and lights to alert/thank others, let them know they've cleared you when overtaking, etc.

That's a fair point actually and is also something mentioned in the rules for the MP mod I believe.

When overtaking it is surprisingly useful to have the person behind you flash their lights so you know you can pull back into the lane.

It's also useful for other situations, such as when people are totally clueless about 'right of ways', for example; You're waiting to pull out of a fuel station, someone on the road stops to let you out, so you flash your lights at them because they have right of way. I see a lot of people complaining in chat about situations like that, even though the other person is being nice to you, they are also in the wrong. :) 

kvt_truckdriver_bar.png

• 4 years later...

Hey!

I read all the lines you wrote. There really is very useful information under each title. In fact , I would like many players to read this topic and learn detailed information. I hope the players will regulate themselves. Thank you so much for the information you gave You are good man.

King Regards
Scanva Diesel A/S

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Whatever you do, you cannot avoid accidents, I guess you should take care and be careful, thanks for the guide.❤️

1797472539_TMP.webp

---------------------------------------

• 2 years later...