turning right on red

Movvy

Hi,

is it allowed to turn right on red as (i think) you can in USA?Ofcourse you gotta give way when turning on red.

thanks upfront, Movvy

would be nice if someone from usa could make a topic with diffrence in rules/signs compared to europe.as a european im slightly confused in some situations :P

^ what signs confuse you?

I hope it's not the stop sign... tho it puzzles me as to why most intersections with working lights have them...

when you exit the highway and arrive on a T junction theres sometimes yellow signs with i believe a circle or something on it and arrows.

i have no clue what these mean as they dont exist in europe.

also im not entirely sure how lanes work on highways etc.are you suposed to drive as far right as possible? can you undertake?do you have to clear the right lane so traffic can enter highway safely?

its maybe silly but i find it important to drive correct on EU highways and find people picking wrong lanes very annoying.so i find it normal that i want to avoid picking wrong lanes etc on US roads.

I think they put those signs in because idiots where just turning right w/o stopping :D either that or they are like Montreal with no rights on reds... but still not all lights in game have stop signs but all intersections allow you to turn right on reds.

I think I got tickets for red light, turning right, sometimes.. I'm confused.

One of 2 things you didn't have your signal on or you where too far out of the lane.

when you exit the highway and arrive on a T junction theres sometimes yellow signs with i believe a circle or something on it and arrows.

i have no clue what these mean as they dont exist in europe.

also im not entirely sure how lanes work on highways etc.

I'm looking for a sign like that but w/o a pic I can't really say...

are you suposed to drive as far right as possible?

trucks are too be in the right/middle lane except for passing or due to low bridges highway 400 is a great example of this for both. Due to some sections being steep making trucks under 80 at times (hazards required) and other times low bridges requiring them to be in the middle lane (if they won't fit)

can you undertake?

Yes, just the driver in front of you is required to move over but simply does not most of the time >_>

do you have to clear the right lane so traffic can enter highway safely?

No, despite what the topic says in the guides section you do not have to in any way yield to merging traffic. As stated if the 401 here had such a thing enforced there'd be accidents 24/7/365 because merging traffic would be singing "move b**** get out of the way ***" (it's a Youngbloodz song that I use on bad drivers XD)

California:

http://test-www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/hdbk/merg_pass.htm

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displaycode?section=veh&group=21001-22000&file=21800-21809

21804, basically if it's unsafe to merge you can't force your way in, they don't have to yield for you, however if the right lane is clear for you to merge into highway traffic is forbidden to get in your way.

Nevada:

NRS 484B.263 

(Be warned this site screams Ontario's elaw site :D)

http://www.leg.state.nv.us/nrs/nrs-484b.html

Both states require merging traffic to yield if the merging traffic causes a accident due to not yielding in real life they'd get charged, in game ¿¿¿

Signature removed by a wondering ghost

SUS0M9O.gif

I hope it's not the stop sign... tho it puzzles me as to why most intersections with working lights have them...

Because it would be quite a hassle to start mounting them every time a traffic light fails, or the power cuts. The priority pyramid tells you that traffic lights have priority over signs, just like police officers have priority over traffic lights. That means that the stop sign only applies when the traffic lights don't work. Obviously, having a stop sign at an intersection does not mean that you can't turn right on red. In that case, the "turn right on red" rule would be useless, as every traffic light has a stop sign in backup.

We have the same thing in Europe as well, except we use give way-sign on the lower priority road entering the intersection. Just have a look at every traffic light intersection in Europe / where you live, and you will see it.

480x.jpg

Umm in most places in both USA and Canada when the lights are out they are too be treated as a 4-way(all way) stop, only exceptions are where yield signs exist, but I've yet seen one at a functional light ;)

It's free to implement laws, it's not free to erect signs :P We went cheap :D

Signature removed by a wondering ghost

SUS0M9O.gif

Yes you can turn right on a red light but you need to make ur stop first and do not forget ur right signal. also you are not obligated to turn on the red light u can also wait for it to turn green,

also people who horn at player on red light please be patient... it does not mean that the person in front is turning right, he can also go forward,

It not because you are on the right lane and at a red light and you need to turn right that the person in front also going to turn.

usually left lane is for people going faster and turn  left or go forward and the right lane is to go forward and right. stop horning.

anyway so far , from what i saw nobody do their red light they just keep going and do not care about ticket.Am i the only one stopping at redlight lol?

i got hit/ram at full speed in the back twice at the red light and both time they said they would report me for blocking... There is a red light......

Pretty sure you can turn right unless there's a sign that says otherwise (pictured below), regardless of whether there's a stop sign or not.

No-Right-Turn-Sign-K-9763.gif

Except in New York City, where it's the opposite (in terms of turning right on red that is...).

220px-Rightonred.JPG I've been fined at every light with a red stop sign next to it

Signature removed by Donald Trump.

Just to confuse it more in some states in US you can make Left turn on red if its from a One way street to a one way street though in some places can be from a 2 way in to a one way...doubt very much if SCS will bother to programming that all in though ;)

CEO - The Lazy Truckers

VTL

Click here to join The Lazy Truckers

It's amazing how the the brain ignores the "the" before the second "the"
Read that again....

Archived