[ARCHIVED] Your Survival Guide to American Traffic Laws/Signs

Message added by Phon,

This guide is outdated and may not contain updated, recent or correct information. Please bear this in mind if following this guide.

traffic lights dont usually flash yellow (unless it is a light tailored to people who are color blind) usually they will flash red, which then they are a 4-way stop

Around here (and everywhere else I've been in the US), around 11pm-6am all lights at non-major intersections flash red or yellow (Major intersections function as normal).  Flashing yellow tends to be treated as a green light, as the other directions always have a flashing red light that is to be treated as a stop sign.  This has unfortunately caused quite a few accidents for me in single player before I realized it, and some real close calls because of habits in MP, as the game's quite a bit off when it comes to realism with the layouts and whatnot :(

Neat article is neat

Great guide, though!

Rawr

^ no lights around me change unless a power outage happens... I find it a bit odd that the game does it in mp and not sp... I'm used to 24/7 traffic light control.

Also merging traffic does not have the right of way in either state, it's just nice to let them in...

https://forum.ets2mp.com/index.php?/topic/26713-turning-right-on-red/(second page my long post)

Signature removed by a wondering ghost

SUS0M9O.gif

Change to #4: Traffic entering the highway/interstate gives way to traffic already on the highway/interstate. Traffic entering the highway never has the right of way. I have looked at the Driving Manuals from MA, NV, CA, FL, WA, WI, MN, MI, KY, ME, TX, AZ, OR, CO, NH, VT, CT, RI, and NY and all of them say that a driver entering a highway yields to traffic already on the highway (1 or 2 of them don't specifically mention right of way or yielding, but are written in such a way that communicates that you wait for conditions on the highway to be safe, not that drivers will make it safe to enter).

Also it would be a good idea to address the lane markings that we use, I have noticed some overtaking on double yellow lines (where in Europe there may be broken white lines on the same kind of road). So here is a quick explanation:

Broken yellow line: This is just like a broken white line in Europe, it separates 2 lanes of traffic going opposite directions, passing is allowed.

Broken White Lines: Separates traffic going the same direction.

Solid White Line: Used to mark the right hand side of a roadway, or can separate 2 lanes of traffic moving in the same direction, you should not cross this line, unless it is to avoid a collision or other hazard.

Solid double yellow line: Separates 2 lanes of traffic going opposite directions. You should not cross these lines unless directed to do so, or to turn into a driveway, make a U-Turn (where legal), or turn into or out of a private road.

Solid double white line: Separates 2 lanes of traffic going the same direction. Crossing these lines is not allowed.

One solid and One broken Yellow Line: One solid yellow line and one broken yellow line separate opposite lanes of traffic. If the solid yellow line is closer to you, you cannot cross the lines. If the broken line is closer to you, you can only cross the line to pass another vehicle when it is safe to do so.

Edited by ColCrunch