ATS US Semi Traffic Laws..

sgpch1983

Hi there,

Could please someone from the US (maybe a real driver), point me European where i can read about the CA and NV Semi Truck Traffic Laws? I'll looked around on google, did only find the laws for normal car traffic.

Or maybe someone from the US (maybe a real driver), can explain the laws and roles?

Thank you :)

sysp-73354.png

I can see i'm not the only one that tried to find some information about US's traffic laws. I actualy found this, it's quite general and not only for CA and NV, but it can be usefull as it explains the complicated thing with the red lights.

http://www.route66guide.com/driving-usa.html

kibatsume.png?width=1442&height=213

[FR] Admin LIVE sessions > My Youtube Channel < Admin LIVE sessions [FR]

Aka Raichu [BE]FrightenedAntiqueDaddylonglegs-size_rest

CA: if it emits anything you cant drive it (seriously your truck needs to be certified for low emissions in order to even drive it inside the state, EVEN IF ITS REGISTERED IN ANOTHER STATE)

NV: drive anywhere in vegas and you'll get a ticket

on a more seriousness note: 

With the red lights, right turns are legal unless there is a sign that says "no right turn on red" usually there is a separate turning signal.

Roads (especially residential ones) can be weight restricted, which will be designated on signs. Trucks making local deliveries (meaning somewhere on the road) on weight restricted roads are exempt.

Bridges that are weight restricted are another story, you'll be warned about the weight restriction, and then have another sign directly at the bridge. which is different depending on how big your truck is. Example:

170px-Bridgeweight.svg.png

Clearance signs are similar to the EU ones, except they are yellow and are larger and usually there are more of them. the left number is feet and the right number is inches.

e53_1351184775_sf_1.jpg

(this sign reads that the clearance of the obstacle ahead is 11 feet 8 inches)

Other signs unique to america:

43309835-right-curve-with-advisory-speed

Advisory speed sign, shows a description of what to expect ahead, and the number designates the advisory speed for the curve(in miles per hour obv) the advisory speed can also be on a separate sign below the sign. (THIS IS ADVISORY AND NOT A SET SPEED LIMIT)

w4-2.gif

lane ends sign, varies to reflect which lane ends and what lane it merges into

37324861-us-road-warning-sign-merge-ahea

lane merge sign. warns you that whichever lane is shown on the sign merges into a lane (either right or left) commonly used on freeway entrances.

728px-Understand-Traffic-Signs-Step-2.jp

stop signs, pretty self explanatory, except that the sign underneath designates which traffic of the intersection ALSO have a stop sign (two way means oncoming traffic also has a stop sign but cross traffic does not, 3 way is usually used on intersections with more than two directions of travel)

m1-1a.gif

interstate sign, similar to motorway signs in europe, it tells you what interstate you are on and usually has a sign above or below that says what direction you are travelling (northbound, southbound, etc.)

sign-road-route-highway-u-s-route-101.pn

state route/highway sign. Unlike interstates state highways are usually smaller, travel at a lower speed, and usually do not go out-of-state

iy7118.JPG

grade sign, means that there is a steep grade ahead (will usually say the percentage on the sign or on a separate sign below it)

as for highway signs i made a diagram:

Iqq3Z4X.jpg

ALSO: Hazardous materials are not allowed on some county/state highways! There will usually be a sign before any onramps onto the highway that will say "no hazardous materials on US (or state route) XX"

DOUBLE ALSO: there is a trick with exit numbers, they usually are how many miles away from the next/last state border the interstate crosses

that's all i have for now, may add on later.

jesus i went a little overboard

CA: if it emits anything you cant drive it (seriously your truck needs to be certified for low emissions in order to even drive it inside the state, EVEN IF ITS REGISTERED IN ANOTHER STATE)

NV: drive anywhere in vegas and you'll get a ticket

on a more seriousness note: 

With the red lights, right turns are legal unless there is a sign that says "no right turn on red" usually there is a separate turning signal.

Roads (especially residential ones) can be weight restricted, which will be designated on signs. Trucks making local deliveries (meaning somewhere on the road) on weight restricted roads are exempt.

Bridges that are weight restricted are another story, you'll be warned about the weight restriction, and then have another sign directly at the bridge. which is different depending on how big your truck is. Example:

170px-Bridgeweight.svg.png

Clearance signs are similar to the EU ones, except they are yellow and are larger and usually there are more of them. the left number is feet and the right number is inches.

e53_1351184775_sf_1.jpg

(this sign reads that the clearance of the obstacle ahead is 11 feet 8 inches)

Other signs unique to america:

43309835-right-curve-with-advisory-speed

Advisory speed sign, shows a description of what to expect ahead, and the number designates the advisory speed for the curve(in miles per hour obv) the advisory speed can also be on a separate sign below the sign. (THIS IS ADVISORY AND NOT A SET SPEED LIMIT)

w4-2.gif

lane ends sign, varies to reflect which lane ends and what lane it merges into

37324861-us-road-warning-sign-merge-ahea

lane merge sign. warns you that whichever lane is shown on the sign merges into a lane (either right or left) commonly used on freeway entrances.

728px-Understand-Traffic-Signs-Step-2.jp

stop signs, pretty self explanatory, except that the sign underneath designates which traffic of the intersection ALSO have a stop sign (two way means oncoming traffic also has a stop sign but cross traffic does not, 3 way is usually used on intersections with more than two directions of travel)

m1-1a.gif

interstate sign, similar to motorway signs in europe, it tells you what interstate you are on and usually has a sign above or below that says what direction you are travelling (northbound, southbound, etc.)

sign-road-route-highway-u-s-route-101.pn

state route/highway sign. Unlike interstates state highways are usually smaller, travel at a lower speed, and usually do not go out-of-state

iy7118.JPG

grade sign, means that there is a steep grade ahead (will usually say the percentage on the sign or on a separate sign below it)

as for highway signs i made a diagram:

Iqq3Z4X.jpg

ALSO: Hazardous materials are not allowed on some county/state highways! There will usually be a sign before any onramps onto the highway that will say "no hazardous materials on US (or state route) XX"

DOUBLE ALSO: there is a trick with exit numbers, they usually are how many miles away from the next/last state border the interstate crosses

that's all i have for now, may add on later.

jesus i went a little overboard

This would be good in the guides section

• 2 weeks later...

Archived