Support for more languages in game

SprinterFS

Suggestion Name

Support for more language in game, including usernames, tags, and chat messages.

Suggestion Description:

I believe this has not been suggested before. I searched for multiple key words (Chinese, Language Support) and got no related result.

This problem may be caused by the partly unsupported Unicode, so I searched "Unicode" in forums and found this.

The suggestion is "Done" but apparently the problem was forgotten and left unsolved.

This suggestion is not just for convience issues. I only understand Chinese and English, so I only talk about Chinese and Taiwan ETS2MP players here. Because ETS2MP does not support Chinese characters, Chinese players have to use Pinyin(Very hard to understand even for native Chinese speakers!) to communicate. One day, ETS2MP updated (Sorry, I forgot the version, but it was around May 2015) and Chinese characters were displayed in TAB menu correctly. Chinese users were very happy about this update, and many predicted that ETS2MP would gain full support for Chinese language in chat. However, after the next update, everything disappeared and every user was disappointed. Chinese ETS2MP players are complaining in their own community all the time after the ETS2MP first release, and I was surprised that my question was never suggested before. This does NOT show that ETS2MP officials are doing perfectly. The fact is: Chinese users are not feeling welcomed by the ETS2MP community. I am not expressing this feeling for myself, but for all users whose languages are not supported in game.

I sincerely hope that one day (hopefully soon) all languages will be supported in ETS2MP.     If this could not be done in a short range of time because of any difficulty, please tell me the reason so at least these Chinese users will know the difficulty and understand the ETS2MP developers.

Any example images

First, I logged in ETS2MP with a Chinese name. Meaning of the name is "Chinese Language Test".

wEyRJbi.png

Then, I opened tab menu and saw all Chinese characters turned into question marks. In the best update that I mentioned above, it was displayed normally in Chinese.

bWsbBLz.jpg

I sent a test message and my username also showed as question marks.

M9fKNgJ.png

When I tried to input Chinese words into chat, all of them are also turned into question marks.

Why should it be added?    

The most simple and direct reason: for the convenience of all users. ETS2MP is a global community so its in-game language has to be global.

For some more reason, please read the warning and continue.

This part may include prejudice and racial topics. 

Users: Please stop here if you feel offended. 

Moderators: Please edit or close this thread if I break any forum regulation.

Here are some feedback from the Chinese Sub-forum of the ETS2MP language forums. Both posts were originally quoted from Chinese ETS2MP users with clickable links, and do not affect my personal opinion because I do NOT agree with them. In this part, I am only a translator showing you how some users think about us. Because if I do not, you will never know.

On 10/1/2015 at 9:30 AM, Asia said:

唉!團隊都是 非中文人員,就算你有辦法,他們歧視就飽了,上Ts3就知道。

Translation: None of the ETS2MP staff speaks Chinese. Although you have the ability, they will look down upon you because of discrimination. You will know more if you go to their TS3 server.

On 1/15/2015 at 6:32 AM, congyueying521 said:

有什么好高兴的,我们被隔离了!

Translation: There's nothing to be happy about, because we are in an isolation!

The "discrimination" is more about a prejudice than a truth, since I've been here for quite a long time and I'm feeling good with everyone here. However, there are many users who actually believe in the prejudice, and there is a very clear and direct reason why they think so. We do not feel the discrimination because people do not behave in the way we prefer: we admit that we are a minority of ETS2MP community, and English is the global language. We feel the discrimination because we do not have the rights to display our names and communicate in game using our own languages. It becomes a shame for us when we have to abandon our own language to get a name instead of some meaningless question marks.

--------edited multiple times to fix pictures and links.

Edited by SprinterFS
Fixed Link
  • Upvote 4

-- One banned troll means one sad troll. Conserve banning. The trolls will appreciate it.

҉  PEOPLE'S REPUBLIC OF RECKLESS DRIVERS

SprinterFS.gif

I get to see users with question marks in their name all the time, I don't know if this is the cause or they just like question marks.

Firstly, this has nothing to do with discrimination. It's just a technical issue that hopefully will be solved very soon. We proudly welcome players from all over the world.

About that first quote: we have staffmembers from different places around the world, but that doesn't mean we all speak every language. Some of us speak only 1 language while others are able to speak up to 4 languages. Translating some languages through translating services like Google Translate mostly don't work well, so it's very nice if more people from different countries would sign up to join the team.

Scar | Retired Legend

You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.

Banned: HELP! - Report a player - Help - Rules - Staff recruitment - Complaints/feedback

i actually disagree about the 2 feedback, the first one used the word"歧視", which means discrimination and the second one used the word"隔離", which means isolation .But all the people in ETSMP crew doesn't speak or knows how to read Chinese, so how can they develop the system with a language that they don't know?? That isn't a sort of discrimination.

Rather than keep asking the MP team to add the language, than why don't you apply to join the MP team, then you can do what ever you want. I strongly believe that the MP team are working their very best to improve the support of different languages.

^ "how can they develop the system with a language that they don't know??"

It's not a case of understanding, but rather which encoding is used when the text is received, sent, processed and displayed.

Now, this is something that will probably be fixed eventually, as it might not be a priority right now as they're currently working on a 64bit client to replace the current 32bit one.

HumaneWolf - Website - Twitter - GitHub

Ex-Developer

i actually disagree about the 2 feedback, the first one used the word"歧視", which means discrimination and the second one used the word"隔離", which means isolation .

I don't agree either. See thread and I think you will find my sentence.

all the people in ETSMP crew doesn't speak or knows how to read Chinese, so how can they develop the system with a language that they don't know??

My problem is not about developing or translating the software itself. It's about player's username and in-game chat, as our CM said above. 

why don't you apply to join the MP team

Well now I'm in the team, and I disagree even more with the "discrimination", "isolation" and other hated stuff.

Also, it will be even nicer if people from other parts of the world can join the team as well!

Edited by SprinterFS
Updated Contents and Fixed Quotes
  • Upvote 1

-- One banned troll means one sad troll. Conserve banning. The trolls will appreciate it.

SprinterFS.gif

Update:

A Chinese user told me that ETS2MP used to support Chinese usernames and chat messages when it was first released.

So I think it's completely possible to add it back.

The upper-left corner says the patch was completed May-15-2014.

5CZIkHK.jpg

Also, I understand that there are more priorities like the 64bit version and ATS-MP. I just want the suggestion not to be forgotten, and developers to bring back the support after all important things are done!~

SprinterFS.gif

• 1 month later...

Added: Font test. This is the only font I know that seems to work a bit for Chinese language, while also compatible with most western letters.

jl53qCi.jpg

SprinterFS.gif

• 2 weeks later...

^

If 20,000 is small enough to be pointless, I would never come out with this suggestion or do all my tests.

Yes: Twenty Thousand, and the actual number should only be more than this number. The largest Chinese ETS2 Forum has over 40,000 registered users. Assume that around 1/3 of them are MP players, that's somewhere over 10,000 players. Also, there are thousands of players from Hong Kong, Taiwan, Korea, Japan, and Thailand --- None of their languages are supported in MP.

Also,  I don't think cool usernames a bad thing.

For showing off -- Why not? It's actually a good thing w

The in-game and web report systems are based on a fixed player id number, so there's basically nothing to do with usernames when it comes to administration issues.

• Upvote 1

SprinterFS.gif

• 4 years later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 3 months later...