Ace_McIntosh

TruckApp [Android / Windows 10 Mobile] – formerly Unofficial ETS2MP Companion

Unofficial ETS2MP Companion  

228 members have voted

1. 1. Would you use an Android application to check on basic data about servers/players etc.?

• Yes, I would
    • Yes, but I don't have an Android device
    • No, I'm fine with my trusty web browser
    • No, I don't care for such data – I just play the game

Hello, I'd like to introduce a new tool to you – an Android application which might come in handy for some ETS2MP players. Since the original concept was to make a quick overview app for my needs (I like to check up on the numbers to know how crowded/empty the servers currently are and I like to keep my Android tablet at hand), first and foremost a crucial question comes to mind – even though the information gathered and displayed by the application is a few clicks away (especially with the handy Steam overlay), would you use such an app on your phone? Please cast your votes about this into the thread's poll.

BREEDING GROUND FOR IDEAS
The major advantage of an Android application is that it's very flexible and extensible platform that allows for many ideas to be materialised and incorporated thereinto. So, if you are positive on using the app on your pocket device, you also may have some ideas as to what feature would you like there to be. In that case please speak your mind and I'll gladly look into it.

CURRENT FEATURES

• Server list displaying the current number of players
    ets2mpcomp_1.png

• List of convoys and meetings organized by the players (which you can filter by place, name of the organiser or language via the search field)
    ets2mpcomp_2.png

Information displayed by the app is gathered from these sources (big thanks to their authors):

FULLY OPEN TO TINKER WITH
The source code is available to everyone on GitHub. It's under the (infamous, but I'm personally fine with it) unlicense, so everyone's simply free to grab it, modify it, publish it as they see fit, where they see fit and how they see fit, without any obligations or constraints.

If you will and if you are familiar with Java, you can – and are welcome to – help shape this up (or, since the unlicense permits this, even take the source code and run / start a competition) to your liking.

GET IT NOW BUT WATCH OUT FOR BUGS!
Because the application is in ALPHA stage, please try it only if (and ONLY IF) you are okay with its rough shape. Errors may occur and data will be used (a single refresh of the meetup list can take up to 60 kB of data since the entire HTML code of the homepage has to be downloaded and parsed). Thank you.

en-play-badge.png

IMPROVEMENTS ARE COMING! DO YOU WANT TO BE THE FIRST TO TRY THEM OUT?
If you like to always be on the bleeding edge and don't mind that the features are yet incomplete and rough around the edges – and that bugs will likely occur – you can opt into the application's beta programme on the Google Play Store via this link: https://play.google.com/apps/testing/cz.uruba.ets2mpcompanion.

When you sign up, just download the application via the Google Play Store as normal, the beta versions will be automatically distributed to you as regular updates. Should you want to opt-out, you can do that through the aforementioned link too.

Current beta iteration:

• not in progress yet

CHANGELOG

• 0.27 (Apr 2, 2016)
    • renamed the application to "TruckApp – TruckersMP Info"
    • added a new settings option for auto-refreshing the lists
    • when a [server/meetup] list is not refreshed manually or by the auto-refresh mechanism, it is read in from a file cache (to save on the data usage)
    • one minor UI fix (centered the "last refreshed" label when the game time is hidden)
  • 0.26 (Mar 1, 2016)
    • significantly reduced data load when refreshing the meetup list – improvement suggested by Hydraulics
    • improved visual feedback to the user when no meetups are found (while filtering them)
    • updated the links to the various TruckersMP sites
    • Ice Cream Sandwich support re-introduced – at a request from jackrv
    • tweaked the refresh button placement for pre-Lollipop Android versions
  • 0.25 (Feb 21, 2016)
    • fix for the new ets2c.com site update
    • added Google Mobile Services library (currently used for Google Analytics)
  • 0.24 (Feb 9, 2016)
    • downloading server data should now be more reliable (sorry for any inconvenience!)
  • 0.23 (Feb 7, 2016)
    • added labels distinguishing the ETS2 and ATS servers (for both main application and the widget)
    • new filtering ability for the server list
  • 0.22 (Jan 31, 2016)
    • ability to filter the list of meetups by a server – feature suggested by darkneon2002
    • small changes to some text strings
  • 0.21 (Dec 31, 2015)
    • label displaying current game time on the SERVERS tab (accuracy +- 5 seconds) – feature suggested by darkneon2002
    • links to ETS2MP homepage, forums and ets2c.com convoy site – feature suggested by Raveen
    • option to customize description of a player meetup event saved to the calendar
  • 0.20 (Dec 7, 2015)
    • added a possibility to display each meetup's detail in a WebView (directly at the ets2c.com page, with a "mobile-optimised" layout)
    • each meetup can be added as an event into the device's calendar
  • 0.15 (Nov 30, 2015)
    • slightly changed some of the colour themes
    • the widget's title is now clickable (opens the main activity)
    • progress bar colour tinting for Lollipop and above (overrides the default colour) – you will probably see the change only if you have some of the proprietary launchers (e.g., Samsung users, who had the progress bars always blue, regardless of the current theme)
    • fixed appearance of the colour chooser dialog for pre-Lollipop devices
    • the "magnifying glass" icon is now initially hidden and displays only when applicable
  • 0.14 (Nov 28, 2015)
    • new option to change a color theme (suggested by AmazingAndreaz)
    • improved widget behaviour and feedback to the user
    • various fixes (thanks to The Leeds Lad for a bug report)
    • dropped support for Ice Cream Sandwich
Edited by Ace_McIntosh
  • Upvote 6

Thank you guys for the comments, really glad to see that you like the idea and that you actually would/will use such an app.

Now of course there's a big room for improvement (not even speaking of the dire need to polish that what's already there), for example the meetup list is currently just a raw interpretation of what you can see on the website http://ets2c.com (again big thanks to the creator, I myself use it glad and often) so that's quite inconvenient since it gets outdated practically the minute that goes by without a refresh (I'm referring especially to the text representing the time remaining to the meetup) – which can make the things a tad confusing since "5 minutes left" can actually mean "20 minutes ago" when it goes unrefreshed for 25 minutes.
But because the the date and time of each meetup is available on the website too (though sadly it's behind a Steam login "wall" and no public API is available – so it will be a challenge of its own to get to it), it will actually be possible to extract it and display the time remaining that's always up to date without the need to refresh it or – for example – use it to create a reminder in the phone's calendar. That would actually be the kind of an "added value" that I've been looking to provide with this application (otherwise it'd really be only an interpreter of data that can be readily found on their respective websites).

Also entirely new features can certainly be added (open for suggestions) in the future, sky (and of course data availability :D) is the limit in this regard.

If you've got anything on your mind, feel free to share it.

I know you are probably really busy (with this application) and already have a lot of your own ideas, I'd want to tell my ideas/suggestions. I'm not sure if you've noticed them yourself, so excuse me if I'm only being annoying.

- Swipe to the left/right to switch between the tabs (meetups and servers)

- Dark mode

- Ability to choose your own theme (for the header)

• Upvote 1

Thanks guys for the input.

I know you are probably really busy (with this application) and already have a lot of your own ideas, I'd want to tell my ideas/suggestions. I'm not sure if you've noticed them yourself, so excuse me if I'm only being annoying.

- Swipe to the left/right to switch between the tabs (meetups and servers)

- Dark mode

- Ability to choose your own theme (for the header)

Certainly not, this is exactly the suggestion feedback that I was asking for, so really appreciated that you came forward with it.

Dark mode and ability to choose the colour theme are both very well possible additions. I've noted this down and I will get in touch with you later if you don't mind to discuss this further.

Also, swiping between the tabs should already work from the jump (there is a ViewPager component that enables this), but if it doesn't please send me what phone/Android version (you can via a PM) do you run so I can investigate.

This is so cool! Now to buy a phone that will have enough space to install it D: 

Stupid Samsung with only 2 GB..

Hey, it's just 2 MB, it should squeeze in just about anywhere :D But 2 GB of memory, do Samsung phones really ship with such a low memory? :o (assuming it's a storage memory)

Certainly not, this is exactly the suggestion feedback that I was asking for, so really appreciated that you came forward with it.

Dark mode and ability to choose the colour theme are both very well possible additions. I've noted this down and I will get in touch with you later if you don't mind to discuss this further.

Also, swiping between the tabs should already work from the jump (there is a ViewPager component that enables this), but if it doesn't please send me what phone/Android version (you can via a PM) do you run so I can investigate.

Of course I'd like to discuss it further [emoji6] I'd love to help improving this app.

And yes, excuse me. It does work. No idea why it didn't work the first time, but it does now :)

Oh, and maybe another thing: notifications about meetups you "follow"?

So if you choose to follow a meetup, you get a notification (like 30 minutes before) as a reminder.

Excellent! A great replacement to my not-so-good App made in App Inventor...

Edit: I'm getting crashes when I refresh the server list, and nothing appears there. Running 5.0.2 (I think) on a Samsung Galaxy A5

Of course I'd like to discuss it further [emoji6] I'd love to help improving this app.

And yes, excuse me. It does work. No idea why it didn't work the first time, but it does now :)

Oh, and maybe another thing: notifications about meetups you "follow"?

So if you choose to follow a meetup, you get a notification (like 30 minutes before) as a reminder.

Alright, I have already started working on adding the ability to change the color theme as a settings option so I will send you a test version when I will have the basics working (hopefully in a couple of days tops) and then we can shape it up together based on your feedback.

Also regarding the notifications – yes, I would like to add it too, but the main problem now is that it's not straightforward to get to the precise time of the meeting (it is available only after a Steam logon on the page, which would have to be somehow dealt with in the application), only that what you can see on the homepage (which can in theory be parsed too, but the problem is that it's getting more imprecise the greater a time unit gets – i.e., with time remaining displayed as "in x hours" you can be as much as 59 minutes off when you presume that it might as well be in fact x hours and yz minutes).

Excellent! A great replacement to my not-so-good App made in App Inventor...

Edit: I'm getting crashes when I refresh the server list, and nothing appears there. Running 5.0.2 (I think) on a Samsung Galaxy A5

Thanks for the report, I know that this happens when the list is empty (due to inability to load data – i.e., when the data connection is not available – but it should give you a message, which I don't see in the video, so it's likely that this is something different) and you press on the button too quickly after the previous attempt to load the data [note: it can also be right after the start of the application, since it attempts to load the data then]. If this is the case, I'm already trying to work it out, so in the next version it should be working all right. If it is not, please hit the report button on the dialog "Unfortunately, ETS2MP Companion has stopped", it will send  a crash report with a stack trace (which would help me in identifying the cause) to me.

Alright, I have already started working on adding the ability to change the color theme as a settings option so I will send you a test version when I will have the basics working (hopefully in a couple of days tops) and then we can shape it up together based on your feedback.

Also regarding the notifications – yes, I would like to add it too, but the main problem now is that it's not straightforward to get to the precise time of the meeting (it is available only after a Steam logon on the page, which would have to be somehow dealt with in the application), only that what you can see on the homepage (which can in theory be parsed too, but the problem is that it's getting more imprecise the greater a time unit gets – i.e., with time remaining displayed as "in x hours" you can be as much as 59 minutes off when you presume that it might as well be in fact x hours and yz minutes).

Awesome. I'll see a test version soon then :)

And yes, I see the problem. I'm not sure if this is possible, but is asking to login with your Steam account if you want to the times exactly and receive notifications not an option?

Good luck with your application, again :)

Thanks for the report, I know that this happens when the list is empty (due to inability to load data – i.e., when the data connection is not available – but it should give you a message, which I don't see in the video, so it's likely that this is something different) and you press on the button too quickly after the previous attempt to load the data [note: it can also be right after the start of the application, since it attempts to load the data then]. If this is the case, I'm already trying to work it out, so in the next version it should be working all right. If it is not, please hit the report button on the dialog "Unfortunately, ETS2MP Companion has stopped", it will send a crash report with a stack trace (which would help me in identifying the cause) to me.

Just done that report now. Hopefully we can get this sorted soon :)

Just a little update – since it will take some polishing before the next update can be released, I have now enabled a beta-testing program (a.k.a., testing a beta version of a beta version :)) on Google Play for anyone who wants to test out the new features and give feedback on them (and he/she doesn't mind that the application can be grossly unpolished and/or partially – if not completely, but it shouldn't come to that :) – broken), into which you can enroll here: https://play.google.com/apps/testing/cz.uruba.ets2mpcompanion.

In the latest beta-beta version, there is some basic functionality (due to be polished up) regarding the colour themes suggested by AmazingAndreaz and the crashing reported by The Leeds Lad should be fixed. Some colourful screenshot collage:

ets2mp_colours.jpg

If you would like to test it out, sign up on the link above and as always, any feedback is welcome (you may also come up with your own colour schemes, for now I have included 15 of basic Google colour sets, but of course more can be added by you).

• Upvote 2

Version 0.14 is available – please upgrade as soon as possible (the previous version can't refresh the list of servers anymore, since the JSON input stream is too long with the addition of the third European server – the hard-coded length limit was too stringent, which is something I overlooked)

I wanted to test the beta version a little longer and tweak the colour schemes a bit (since some of them make the UI elements almost unreadable due to insufficient contrast), but that's something I'll do on the fly – unfortunately I didn't branch out the beta version earlier so now I'll have to ship the whole package, along with the aforementioned fix.

Changelog

• new option to change a color theme (suggested by AmazingAndreaz)
  • improved widget behaviour and feedback to the user
  • various fixes (thanks to The Leeds Lad for a bug report)
  • dropped support for Ice Cream Sandwich

Since this should still have been a beta version, please be on a lookout for errors and if you encounter any, you can report them here.

I'm especially worried about the colour chooser, which I haven't tested thoroughly on older versions of Android. Currently it's supposed to look like this (it's an ordinary GridView with custom shape views as members):

screenshot_colour_chooser.png

If it doesn't look like this on your device, then it's wrong and I'd be grateful if you reported any issues to me. Thank you.

Version 0.15, a.k.a. a "polishing" update, is now available. It changes some of the colour schemes slightly and makes some other tiny user interface changes (see the changelog). If you have any remarks/wishes as to the colour schemes, you can of course post them/message me about them and I'll gladly address them.

Other than that, I'll slowly shift my focus to the meetup page and work out how to display meetup details in a WebView, along with an ability to create reminders for meetups in the phone's calendar (but not gonna promise anything just yet).

Changelog

• slightly changed some of the colour themes
  • the widget's title is now clickable (opens main activity)
  • progress bar colour tinting for Lollipop and above (overrides the default colour) – you will probably see the change only if you have some of the proprietary launchers (e.g., Samsung users, who had the progress bars always blue, regardless of the current theme)
  • fixed appearance of the colour chooser dialog for pre-Lollipop devices
  • the "magnifying glass" icon is now initially hidden and displays only when applicable

Also have to thank you guys for the reviews that you've been leaving on the Google Play page, it's great to see that you find this application useful.