GPS Friendlist

Miles!

Suggestion Name: Ingame GPS follow list

Suggestion Description

This might seem more like a custom plugin for a player to make, but regardless I think it would  something to consider. 

Just like on the menu, I think it would be cool to have a tab which gives GPS locations of what cities you and your friends are in, Also adding a destination might be quite good too but the GPS alone is good. 

-Add a player via their ETS2MP profile number/Link it to your forum account and track your forum friends/Steam added, On the main menu, click someone and then press the GPS button to add them to list

-Spying? No ofcourse not, visibility options, Public, Private, or 2 way authorization. 

Why should it be added?

Will be useful for setting up and tracking convoys, Seeing where other plays are and who is missing from the start location

If anyone crashes and has to go to the nearest city you can see where they are

When you meet people in the game for the first time and your only chat is PM, instead of them typing saying where they are and how long they are gonna be, you can just track them ingame on the GPS. 

See where your friends are! If you have a lot of friends ingame it could be quite interesting to see if a friend is currently in the city you are heading to. 

I know this is a pretty big task and might not seem worth it, personally i'd love the feature and use it a lot, interested in hearing others opinions. 

Image:

1991f877cdd1ff7789517c6de7768b3f.png

• Upvote 6

?q=76561198010396994&theme=Default

I would add the destination (heading to) in TAB to know where people are going, it would be usefull anyway. And about the Friendlist, it´s a +1 from me. However, as the ID changes... maybe it could be hard to safe the friends as they would change their name sameway.

I would add a Search button to search just in the moment you need for the friend you are searching for (by name) and thats all. Tags with company names should be helpfull that way and the interface is all OK to know where they at the moment.

lkRjRkb.png

I don´t really see it as unnecessary. Let´s say you got 30 friends who you met ingame or known earlier, who currently play a game. Now texting to them 1 by 1 asking where they are, is pretty time consuming. And after 15 minutes or later, you might want to find out again where they are.

Now on ETS2MP website you already got map ( http://ets2map.com/ ), where you can track every player, even select which server you want to display players from. This page, you can also watch while not logged in, but if possible, maybe add "Friendlist" menu under Options, which is displayed only if user is logged in.

l03Y5t.jpg

Under friendlist you´ve got following options: Add friend (using player ingame nickname) and Remove friend.

Ok we got it. There is steam and friendlist won´t be added.

But still i´d like to continue this discussion.

Now, if i understand this correctly. You can see player ID from steam, but does "Player ID" stay always same?

I think it does stay same, but i´m not sure.

Using ETS2MP Map ,you currently can use search function only to find landmarks, like cities, fuel stations, etc.

Could it be possible to add option, so we could use search function to find players using their "Player ID"? This way, if "Player ID" stays same every time, we could make text file for ourselves, and just use search function to locate where our friends might be, on this very big map.

Of course, as with every thing, there is negative side too, if you can search players using their "player id". In theory, maybe player hates someone for some reason and wants to ram him/her. Using search function he/she can locate that player this way, but if this might happen, we got report system already in place.

So many want this yet it's pointless because Steam is invented, if you want to meet your friends message them on Steam. -rep

-Thanks, Sami

I think it's fine how it is and the friends list is unnecessary.

-Thanks, Sami

^ Again there is a application called Steam and this I can guarantee will not be added.  

-Thanks, Sami

-Rep to yourself 

So what if steam exists and even tells you the ID of the player?

It still doent show the town/country he is in nor the distance to said point also Shift tabbing makes you loose complete control over the truck while driving while with the ingame box you just have it there at a push of tab without letting go of the controls.

Cant believe how one can be so much against a good idea and go as far as beating down every single comment in favour of this idea.

-Thanks, Todd

• Upvote 1

vvv Steam vvv                                                                                                                                                             vvv Elite Dangerous vvv

76561198004707172.png    17892.png?1454296225

but how do you sort out the distance limit on the tab list?

if they are close anough to end up on the tab list, you can ask where they are in the chat?

And, having to send more data to more players, i think would be a bad idea for the time being, since the servers are kind of struggeling as it it now

Dude, this is an internet forum. You can't expect people to read stuff. Jeez.

And we want players who can behave, I'm afraid we can't have what we want :(

"Just remember...if the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off. "

but how do you sort out the distance limit on the tab list?

This is how. You don´t measure distance betweeen you and other person. You rather measure target(s) (friend) distance to nearest city. You´ve got City-A and City-B. Distance between these cities is 100 miles. If target is 40 miles outside City-A, it shows that he is near City-A. If target is in midpoint, 50 miles to City-A and to City-B, it will still show that target is near City-A, but if balance goes to 49 miles - 51 miles, it will show he is near City-B. On tab list it just shows friends name followed by nearest city. If player might want to know more, how far from city his friend is, you just ask via chat (steam).

Now how to solve that, how far your friend is from city problem. I would say about 50% of this task is already done, by this ETS2MAP . Since players are already tracked where they are on the map. With some coding, you probably can make a tool, which can measure distance between target and nearest city. And when this is done, then all what is needed is only ingame friendlist window, which displays only players who are added manually to ingame friendlist. OR, if possible, get friendlist automatically from steam. So that, ingame friendlist only shows players, who are your friends in steam.

• Upvote 1

I guess sami6540 ran out of objections. Kinda quiet this thread now.

About this:

^ Again there is a application called Steam and this I can guarantee will not be added.  

-Thanks, Sami

Imagine, that, its year 2003 right now. There is this thing, called Myspace. Now let´s be amazed that, you are in 1 room with Zuckerberg and he tells you this awesome idea of creating Facebook. But you simply answer to him: "Why? There is this thing called Myspace, and i can guarantee this will not be popular". If he would have thought, yeah, probably, not best to even try, we wouldn´t have this thing called Facebook today.

Message is simple. Don´t look back, to all things we already have, look forward, what can we do to make things better or create something new!

Way ot, but I'm not sure if that wouldn't have been a good thing...

If facebook hadn't existed I meen

Dude, this is an internet forum. You can't expect people to read stuff. Jeez.

And we want players who can behave, I'm afraid we can't have what we want :(

"Just remember...if the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off. "

People, guess what...if you don't want to use it then don't use it. Message them on steam if you want to do that. 

Not everybody plays with more than one monitor, so the etsmap website wouldn't do much good unless the person stops which is also time consuming. Why do people want to make it hard? If you don't want this then don't argue with the people who do want it. 

Processes:

WITH this implemented, Buttons pressed 2

W/O Impelentation, many more depending on message size. 

Im pretty sure I'm not the only one who wants to make it easier. 

+1

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Useful feature, would like to see it soon in game. +1

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

“Anyone who thinks sitting in church can make you a Christian must also think that sitting in a garage can make you a car.” ― Garrison Keillor

“Stupidity isn't punishable by death. If it was, there would be a hell of a population drop.” ― Laurell K. Hamilton

• 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...
  • Game Producer

Accepted.

There will be an icon to open the list and see some information like ID, names and location of Steam friends. In the tab list settings, there will also be an option where you can indicate whether you want to appear on other people's Steam friends list in the tab.

• Like 1
  • HaulieLove 1
  • Awesome! 3