- use your map and reduce offramp usage that would require reducing more speed

You too can get this mileage out a 6x4 with a V8

14t:

MIFI2pj.png

24t:

DH2eouE.png

Independent driver

On 8/28/2018 at 2:16 PM, caff!!! said:

to quote Revolver Ocelot: I love to reload shift gears during a battle delivery.

2. Do not switch your engine off, turning it back on uses lots of fuel.

This is true in real life but I'm not sure this is simulated by the game. I once saw a video of someone on the forums here (forgot who it was), participating in a topic that was about setting records. He was going for highest fuel efficiency and he got first place. In the video he made to prove it, he turned his engine off and on all the time to safe fuel and at the end his efficiency was was ridiculously high, which lead me to believe starting your engine has no effect on overall fuel usage. Or perhaps SCS patched it by now.

^to add to that, irl studies have shown that turning off a car engine for 10 seconds and starting it again consumes the smae energy as an engine running for 10 seconds.

Larger engines do need more fuel to start, but save a lot more when they are turned off which leads to my assumption that turning off your truck engine even at a red light is very fuel conservant.

Oh and another tip is to configure an automatic retarder with a tollerance of aprox. 5kph / 3mph. That way your truck doesn't need to recover the lost kph on a hill down which saves a lot of fuel if you pass by all those small hills even on the highway.

Edited by RayRay5
  • Upvote 1

"Just because others break rules, does not grant you the permission to break the rules as well"

Please drive respectful on the servers. Thank you!

This is true in real life but I'm not sure this is simulated by the game. I once saw a video of someone on the forums here (forgot who it was), participating in a topic that was about setting records. He was going for highest fuel efficiency and he got first place. In the video he made to prove it, he turned his engine off and on all the time to safe fuel and at the end his efficiency was was ridiculously high, which lead me to believe starting your engine has no effect on overall fuel usage. Or perhaps SCS patched it by now.

This may be true, I might get round to testing this in the future.

76561198136556412.png

• 3 weeks later...

Cool tutorial, actually the game is much funnier when people are being realistic and driving like normal people.. 

Im getting annoyed sometimes when i get overtaken by someone with a trailer that tells you clearly that this trailer/cargo is heavy and dangerous with 70-80 signs in the back of the trailers. But some people actually dont give a shit about the signs, they drive 110 no matter what.

I actually have been driving in 110 some times but thats when i see rammers so then i wanna pass them so if they manage to hit me they hit the trailer, but that doesn't always work well :/

Imagine how it would be if everyone in ETS2MP was driving realistically.

Employed in: Viva Trucking (VTC)

Nice guide, appreciate it. I just have some doubts about the "engine on/off" thecnic and seems to be solved already. I think that´s the only thing I wont be doing, but nice tips overall. I think my fuel consumptions are just at 32l / 100 because of the weight I use to deliver and... ok, maybe I like to hear the engine a bit more sometimes lol.

• Upvote 1

lkRjRkb.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

^ Depends on multiple factors. The area you're driving, the weight of your cargo, the engine you're using. 

A 750hp will consume less fuel to pull 25 tons than a 400hp, since the 750hp requires less throttle to pull it than a 400hp. However, for lighter cargo's the 400hp will be more efficient. Also, a V8 consumes more than a V6. On average a good consumption would be 25 - 30l/100km. Anything below that is extraordinary good, but almost unrealistic. 

• Upvote 1

Some very nice tips there.

Super late but that's me! :D  I did that video before SCS implemented a hotkey for Neutral to reduce rolling gear resistance.  Turning engine off made the truck act like it was on neutral so I was coasting downhill.  Also even on the hotkey neutral, the engine seems to consume 2.0L/100km.

I drive a little bit faster than advertised limitson the Scania R490, 90km/h on highway, around 80km/h on rural roads, adjusting speed as necessary around bends.  My long-run average is 29.4L/100km for the last 15,000km or so when SCS introduced the feature in which the average consumption figure on the dash does not reset even after existing game.

• 2 years later...

typically on american rigs, everything is built to be optimal at 55mph (and if you are like me, even in my "hay day"... the lead foot always won).  things we know from actually studying fuel economy (like listening to Kevin Rutherford https://letstruck.com/)  staying in the top gear as long as possible, using the cruise control as much as possible, if you are running light freight, stick to the 7spd allison trans, every shift hurts your econ!  i run heavy loads.. so i pretty much ignore econ issues anyways, running the 625Cat on the 18spd automatic.

that said... lifted axles, smallest engine, 7spd trans will take you a very long way!!  typically you can save 7-9% econ by getting unneeded tires off the ground (lift axles), most "econ minded" owner ops in the usa opt for the 11-12.3L engines instead of the godly 15+L engines, and aero dynamics is brutally key... if you are hauling box/reefer trailers, for goodness sake, use a bulkhead on your tractor to create an airfoil around your trailer!  and... when its not super hot outside.... try bringing up your tire pressure 10-15PSI, the rounder the tire, the less drag you have

all that said.. ive only been playing the game a few days and havent bothered yet crunching numbers, this is all just "learned data" from the years i had on the road

• 7 months later...
2 hours ago, TurklerRS said:

>1200-1300 RPM

Mate, the Scania 750HP engine idles at about 4K RPM, what?

The RPM scale is different between cars and trucks. In a truck when you see its at 15 on the gauge, its at 1500, not 15000.

htup_0709_04_z+1996_civic_dx+tachometer.display.php?id=207801&width=490

RPM scale is at x1000 in a car.

And x100 in a truck.