Experiencing kernel error or random crashes on TruckersMP Island? ×

What do you think about this overtaking?

Folriden

^

It was an area where overtaking is allowed, he used his blinker to signal his maneuver to both leave his lane and return to it, he didn't touch the other truck or anything else, he only switched back to his lane when he had enough distance from the truck he was overtaking and still with enough distance from the oncoming truck on the opposite lane, he had enough speed to complete the maneuver and in no moment committed any mistake other than not checking his right mirror before changing back to the right lane. So how exactly is there something wrong with his maneuver? Please, explain what's wrong. Enlighten us.

Overtaking while approaching a blind corner with 110km/h where 50 km/h is allowed is dangerous. He was lucky the oncoming truck wasn't driving full speed, otherwise this would've ended much differently. Also, he is overtaking completely blind by not using his right mirror. What if the truck he is overtaking decides not to release throttle? Sorry but if he would overtake me like that on the same spot i would've braked and also kindly told him to take some driving lessons. You say he didn't touch the truck or anything, but if he did, it would already be too late. You're looking at it wrongly. In real life, you learn to look further. This is something all beginner drivers fail at, they don't observe far enough. Although his intention was right, using his blinkers etc, he should've stayed behind the truck until the road was clear enough to observe and overtake. OP here was completely focussing on the overtake maneuver itself forgetting about everything else. 

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That looks risky. I don't like overtaking on those roads. I do it only if the other truck is very slow.

But you did it correctly. Taking a look if there are other trucks than those you see, using TAB. The only obvious thing is the one coming shortly after you go back to your lane.

That's why I quite never overtake on those roads. Several truck showed up on the TAB window at the last moment and you were still overtaking. A couple of seconds more and that was a crash. And in that case you would be the one to blame.

I'm shocked by the community's standards in terms of overtaking. If you think there was nothing wrong with this overtake maneuver, you are either not in the possession of a driver's license or you just don't take this simulator serious enough.

Serious enough by whose standards? Yours? As long as the rules set by the MP developer team aren't being broken, people can make up their own minds how serious they want to take this simulator.

Tell me why?

Let's analyse your video. 

At the start of the video, your TAB window is open. Before you illuminate your blinker you must check your mirror. If it's clear you may initiate the overtake. That's your first mistake here. Now, you're overtaking without looking in your right mirror. This also very dangerous, because you're overtaking blindly. You're driving using your senses in stead of your eyes. At the moment a truck comes around the corner, you're driving 110km/h and the truck you're overtaking was just 40m behind you. Without looking at your right mirror, you illuminate your right blinker and immediately start merging back in to the correct lane of travel, which is a panic reaction obviously because you choose the wrong spot to overtake. This entire situation was a close call and simply can't be deemed as safe. That's why sammaboss flashed his high beam. 

I would highly recommend you to drive using your mouse, and set the buttons 1,2,3 to different camera angles. 1 = left, 2= center, 3= right. This makes driving a truck in the virtual world of ETS2MP much easier and safer. 

Have nice day

We are not talking about rules here, we are talking about the overtake maneuver that the OP made there. It just wasnt safe. If you think it was, then you are certainly not playing by real life standards.

Have nice day

Correct observation. I am indeed not playing by real life standards, because this game is far from real life.

^ Your opinion. A simulator never is real life, that's why it's called a simulator. You call it a game, so that explains enough. 

In my opinion it's realistic enough, if you drive realistic. That you find it unrealistic because you smash your truck and trailer with 110 around the corner is your problem. 

Have nice day

Where have I said this?

I would have risked the same move, the other truck was going very slowly.  I tend to overtake if the other truck is doing 60km/h or less.

Also agreed with points raised about using mirrors.

The cutback was close but most probably ok although impossible to see without mirrors!  While I usually leave around 100m before cutting back, I often get flashed when I'm only 40 ahead to indicate it's safe to cut back.

I would also recommend checking the "Adaptive Auto Transmission" checkbox under the Controls option.  With that option checked, the gears will shift more aggressively.  In the case of your overtake, the truck would have kicked back to 11th gear for better acceleration with that option.

Here's me in a similar situation some while back.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2i9uq5_awkward-overtake-27-02-2015_videogames

Where have I said this?

Look  at the quote bellow...

Correct observation. I am indeed not playing by real life standards, because this game is far from real life.

As xhavefunx says, the game is what you make it. It is a simulator if you drive realistic, but it isn't if you choose to don't drive realistic. You say the game is to far from real life, but that's because you're not trying to get such a realistic experience possible. It is a game - it's not real life. But it is a Simulator - it should simulate real life. No simulator can simulate it 100%, but at least you can try to play the game for what it is. A simulator. 

Look  at the quote bellow...

As xhavefunx says, the game is what you make it. It is a simulator if you drive realistic, but it isn't if you choose to don't drive realistic. You say the game is to far from real life, but that's because you're not trying to get such a realistic experience possible. It is a game - it's not real life. But it is a Simulator - it should simulate real life. No simulator can simulate it 100%, but at least you can try to play the game for what it is. A simulator. 

1. No, xhavefun said I don't find it realistic because I supposedly smash my truck and trailer with 110 around corners.

2. How can I get a realistic experience from something that isn't realistic? No offense but obeying speed limits and drive 60 /80 on roads that are completely empty in front of me makes me want to hurt myself. And yes, I have tried. If that's what the 'realistic experience' is about, than thanks, but no thanks.

^ You are such a confusing person. What are you even complaining about?

No one cares if you can't drive 60 - 80km/h on an empty road. That's exactly what makes it realistic. Same goes for Flight Simulator X. If you take a flight from Schiphol to Ankara Turkey you'll be sitting there for 4 hours, because you can't go faster than 315 knots on 30.000 ft. in realistic terms. You are a person that would fly 450 knots just because "it's a game so it's unrealistic". No, you're the one that makes it unrealistic. Although the roads in ETS2MP don't have AI traffic, that doesn't instantly make it unrealistic. It's just a realistic feature that is not implemented. 

When loaded with more than 15 tons i don't even exceed 25km/h when making a turn. Because it feels more natural to do it like i would in real life, and there you have it, realism. So stop using childish arguements like how you could get a realistic experience from something that isn't realistic. You don't have the patience to play a game like this, so i would recommend a FPS game like Battlefield 4 to you.

But i'm sorry mate, you're losing this argument.  

^or players nearby list (the tab thingy)

But if you go by this, it wouldn't be allowed to drive over 100 kph in a 50 kph-zone! So please, when you say users have to follow real traffic laws, then make sure they at least more or less respect speed limits, otherwise you controvert your own words there. There's a good reason, why there are speed restrictions on the map, no matter if some people with a god-complex think they're not meant for them, but just for other trucks... But yeah, what should i expect from people who want the limiter gone and wished to be able driving around at least at 200 kph everywhere on the map because they think it's a racing-arcade...

if you insist on strictly following all rules, I'd like to see you obeying all the required rests.

Truth is that even if its a simulator, it is still a game and it'll be always different from the reality - so please, lets stop arguing

I'm not complaining, I have nearly 1800 hours on ETS2MP, it suits my needs just fine. You're the one who is complaining by saying how 'shocked' you are.

No one cares if you can't drive 60 - 80km/h on an empty road?

- Speak for yourself.

Experiencing things differently than you is a childish argument now?

Again, nearly 1800 hours. Seems I have plenty of patience to play this game.

Thanks for the recommendation, but I'm good.

Listen, Max Verstappen, i've already mentioned i totally don't care about your drive style. And yes, i indeed am shocked. I'm shocked by people like you who think that the OP made a safe overtake here while it was not. There'll always be people who drive like they want and people who drive like they would in real life. You just want to drive your cargo from A to B as fast as possible driving 110km/h? No problem, go ahead. I'll see you sometime in game, overtaking me. But it remains a simulator. That's why there are real trucks in this game, with real functions like liftable axles etc. Those functions has been put there for people like me, who play as realistic as possible. It really doesn't matter for someone like you, who plays for recreational purposes if the midlift is up or down, hell, i bet you don't even know it's purpose. But it doesn't make any difference for you. But for me, i'm not going anywhere without a midlift if i need to drive a 25t sandtipper.

So stop trying to ruin our experience by stating "facts" that the game is unrealistic etc. We're hardcore players and we play this simulator with passion for trucks.  

Archived