ASUS GeForce GTX 960 STRIX 2GB - Any good for this game?

KGT l xTH3xMoDsZx l UK

Hi there,

I have ordered myself a ASUS GeForce GTX 960 STRIX 2GB and was wondering if this card would be great for this game and multiplayer?

It seems to be great for games like Battlefield 4 and all that - so I was wondering if any of you guys would have this card?

Here are the specs:

• Video Memory
    GDDR5 2GB
  • Engine Clock
    OC Mode - GPU Boost Clock : 1317 MHZ , GPU Base Clock : 1253 MHz
    Gaming Mode - GPU Boost Clock : 1291 MHZ , GPU Base Clock : 1228 MHz
  • CUDA Core
  • Memory Clock
    7200 MHz ( GDDR5 )
  • Memory Interface
    128-bit
Hope you can help!

Many thanks,
Alex

ecNR1ul.png

169325408_role_RetiredTeamMember(1).png.

In Game Administrator - 2014 - 2019

@ClashinJon May you give me one good argument for why it's the "true gaming experience"? I don't want micro stuttering when my card reaches the 3.5MB of Vram, whenNvidia said the card had 4. (500MB Fragmented memory) Also, we're unsure of how the 900-series will handle DX12 soon. Btw, the 970 is quite out of the price range.

@extremealu

No, no, no. The GTX 960 have no good price-performance.

Go for a R9 380 4GB istead :P

krav i have a AMD R9 390 8GB card and none of my games are buggy in fact i could run ets2 at 5760x1080 with everything maxed out and scaling at 400% but i'd get terrible frame rates and if i wanted to i could even run the witcher 3 maxed out but i don't wanna kill my graphics card

YouTube_logo_2013.svg.png

@ClashinJon May you give me one good argument for why it's the "true gaming experience"? I don't want micro stuttering when my card reaches the 3.5MB of Vram, whenNvidia said the card had 4. (500MB Fragmented memory) Also, we're unsure of how the 900-series will handle DX12 soon. Btw, the 970 is quite out of the price range.

@extremealu

Go for a R9 380 4GB istead :P

That memory issue is technically not really noticable. Let me put it this, check every benchmark around the launch of the GTX970 and GTX980. None of the reviewers did notice any performance problems..

It is not now you know that the last 512mb is processed differenty than the first 3,5GB the performance of the card is different. The card still has the same performance that the reviewers praised and many reviewers gave it a performance award mainly for price/performance reasons. 

I have a GTX970 myself, my settings are on ultra and even in Rotterdam I don't experience any lag and that is with NVidia ShadowPlay running in the background. When I also run OBS for Twitch broadcasting I do notice a little decain in performance, but basically I then have two recorders running, both OBS and ShadowPlay (make reporting very easy).

About Microstutters: The fact that you need special benchmarks software to even measure those microstutters, should tell you the real world impact on games. The thing about microstutters is that none of the reviewers can reproduce the conditions those stutter moments. That is important tell which is often ignored because most people on watch charts and have little to none knowlegde about what they are really watching. Because if you get different results for the same card on different runs, how can you even start comparing the stutter results? In fact, how clean is the AC power that goes into the PSU itself? AC Power contains a lot of noise and most (quality) PSUs can minimize that noise and almost remove all power rimples. Chances are that those power rimples are amplified by the GPU's which starved by power will show a performance decrease, hence the stutter. I have an scientific background and we have a saying, rubbish in equals rubbish out. And randomness does not belong in an scientific approach to GPUs because you can't reproduce the results..  

510 Horses and one lucky bird at work

Simulators: Prepar3d V4, X-Plane 11, DCS 1.5 + 2.x, ETS2, ATS, Farming Simulator 17, Omsi 1 + 2

System: Intel i7-6700K @ 4700Mhz, 32GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance LPX, GTX970,  HP LP2475w monitor (1920x1200)
Devices: Logitech G27, SKRS Shifter, CH Products Throttle Quadrant, Trustmaster Hotas Joystick, TrackIR
Storage: 2 x SM961 - 250GB (raid 0), Samsung 850 pro 1TB disk, Samsung 850 EVO 2TB disk.

@Zyprexia
I don't know what you're on about... The memory issue is noticable in for example GTA V. Nvidia is lying to the customers, both the Vram, and now DX12, and that is not acceptable in my opinion. You might not need 4GB Vram now, but when you buy such a expensive card it should be safe in the future. I'd not call it safe in the future when it's already meeting problem in the latest games.

^^

Well, i've seen it myself. It's chocking how people can think it's okay with Nvidia lying the customers up their faces.

I like to get value for money - why not just get a titan Z all sorted ;)

Pro Twitch Streamer > Clashin_Jon.png                                                     

this is completely off-topic but alot of companies lie about their products just look what happened to Volkswagen or VW when they lied about how fuel efficient their diesel engines are

Well, it doesn't make it right. But it's definitely worth pointing out that the only two GPU manufacturers are as bad as each other, both are guilty of lying to customers in some way, and I'm not talking within the last 5 years, I'm talking within the last 1-2 years.

GTX 970 VRAM facts... Because... Why not?

^^

Both are guilty, yes. But Nvidia have been playing very rough compared to AMD. I'm aware of the whining sound on AMD Fury, but they were lettting the customers return the card. That didn't Nvidia do. I'm having a Nvidia card myself, nd i'm very happy with it. But there's no reaseon to protect Nvidia after those two scandals as some people are doing.

^^

not amd, they're buggy (well mine is) and i hate them xD

like gaming experience is buggy

and they're slowly dying as a company

krav i have a AMD R9 390 8GB card and none of my games are buggy in fact i could run ets2 at 5760x1080 with everything maxed out and scaling at 400% but i'd get terrible frame rates and if i wanted to i could even run the witcher 3 maxed out but i don't wanna kill my graphics card

Their cards are rock solid and for the price better than nvidia, the issue is in drivers... Their drivers suck end of story...

For me most games run better than when i used my 640, except ets2, it manages to blow up the drivers... Ive tried everything and nothing works they have even managed to botch up the DX diagnostics tool and i have tried everything to fix it and nothing works... Last thing to try to do for ets2 is reinstall windows... But im not going to do that... I'll reinstall Linux (upgrade), and get MP to run in it. Its possible, either VM or WINE :D

Edit: When i upgrade my GPU again it will be Nvidia because AMD is a huge pain to get working...

Signature removed by a wondering ghost

SUS0M9O.gif

^ For your CPU? wat

@extremealu

Go for a R9 380 4GB istead  :P

If he'd go with a R9 380, I guess he'd have to upgrade his PSU, bcuz AMD is power hungry 

explains it, im on 8

I think he mean don't use 8.1 drivers on Windows 10..

The NVidia drivers for Windows 8.1 are rock solid on Windows 8.1

510 Horses and one lucky bird at work

Simulators: Prepar3d V4, X-Plane 11, DCS 1.5 + 2.x, ETS2, ATS, Farming Simulator 17, Omsi 1 + 2

System: Intel i7-6700K @ 4700Mhz, 32GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance LPX, GTX970,  HP LP2475w monitor (1920x1200)
Devices: Logitech G27, SKRS Shifter, CH Products Throttle Quadrant, Trustmaster Hotas Joystick, TrackIR
Storage: 2 x SM961 - 250GB (raid 0), Samsung 850 pro 1TB disk, Samsung 850 EVO 2TB disk.

Archived