Newbie questions re: lights, jobs, companies, convoys

Caesius

1. I know that lights are required at night, but are there specific times that they're required? E.g. 7 to 7. It appears all players have the same in-game time regardless of location but it appears everyone has different weather, so even during the day it can be bright and sunny for you but dark and stormy for someone else on the road. So are lights only required from sunset to sunrise or is there an extra buffer to account for different weather? I personally always drive with at least parking lights on.

2. I read in the rules regard overtaking that high beams can't currently be seen in MP, but I assume that only applies to the headlights or has been fixed. I definitely see people running with their front and roof auxiliary lights though. I also notice in-game that when the aux lights are enabled they will be on but dim when headlights are on, can other players see this or will they only see aux lights that are fully on? Or will other players always see them as fully on when headlights are on? (i.e. what appears to you as dimly-lit aux lights appears fully lit to other players)

3. I notice people putting country tags in their name, this is part of their steam username right? So for my name to say "Caesius [uSA]" I'd have to change my Steam name?

4. Is there a list of companies by member count, preferred language, preferred activities etc.? I may want to join an English-language company with a lot of members that does convoys and racing but don't know where to start.

5. How do convoys work exactly? I notice convoys always run with cargo. Is everyone offered the same job in a city when they have the same skills? And when they take that job it doesn't remove it for other players? Do convoys know their destination in advance or do they just go with the available destinations from the job list in the starting city?

6. How often are jobs removed and/or repopulated? Could I be on my way to a job only for it to disappear when I get there?

1. There's no issue with driving with the lights on in day time but if you don't put your lights on(parking+low beam) at the night it will result in a kick or ban from server due to nobody likes Ghost riders on the roads :P
  2. The dim issue is scs issue, You cant blame mp mod for the dim-ing of the main head light when aux and front are running, SCS has made this function to implement as a real life situation after all it's a simulator. I tried the dim thing with my lkw mate and he could barely see the difference so yeah not a big issue of this dim of main headlights when aux and front are running on the truck. 
  3. It's not a rule nor a compulsion to put Country name in your steam name as the Steam name can be anything as long as it doesn't violate the rules of MP i.e Not an offensive name. So yeah you're free to do that. Add any sort and amount of tags you like to add to your steam name or just go to Game and press Tab and right click on screen then click settings and in player tag put country name with colour if you really want to do it, Looks better :)
  4. List of companies is over here→http://forum.ets2mp.com/index.php?/forum/43-companies/  No company does Racings on a legal state regularly but if you do it ilegally and in a populated area such as Rotterdam or Amsterdam or EP road You'll get banned for it. If you want to do a Company Race then make a topic in the Off-Topic if you are doing it in a small scale like Company only or a few participants or if You're doing it on a large scale then start a Topic in Major Events section . Secondly, Every company does convoys it just depends upon on How frequent they are and well organised or not, If you want a personal opinion then SFH(SoarFlyHaulage) VLC does regular convoys that are on Tuesdays and Saturdays from 20:10 BST or 20:30 BST approximately, They follow Professionalism and strict rules to have drivers to the mark of Perfection. But at the end of the day you're free to choose any VTC you like to join since nobody can force you to do so. :)
  5. Convoys mean a group of truckers/drivers driving from point A to B and so on so forth. Convoys work in 2 ways, With Convoy Controllers and without Convoy controllers. The difference and importance is that Convoy Controllers are required for large scale convoys 30+ people where as anything below 30 can be done by a convoy leader if skilled enough to lead them without losing any on the way. I'm a Convoy Controller for SFH aka SEMS(SoarFly Event Management Services) and our job is not only to guide people directions but help in designing a convoy route/event and alot of other stuff. ^_^ . You can find upcoming convoys on http://ets2c.com/and even make your own convoy!
  6. Jobs in singleplayer get changed/re-populated in a few hours whilst in Multiplayer they can stay for days and weeks since Multiplayer time is slower than singleplayer to You'll get 4800 Hours 30 mins for a job that takes 30Hours and 10 mins in singleplayer. More than plenty to do what you want, You can even go round the map and complete your job later on :P

Happy Trucking :) 

1. I know that lights are required at night, but are there specific times that they're required? E.g. 7 to 7. It appears all players have the same in-game time regardless of location but it appears everyone has different weather, so even during the day it can be bright and sunny for you but dark and stormy for someone else on the road. So are lights only required from sunset to sunrise or is there an extra buffer to account for different weather? I personally always drive with at least parking lights on.

There is no time that youshould have your lights turned on. But as soon as the lights at the road turn on, you should consider turning on your lights on as well.

Or just drive 24/7 with headlights on.

2. I read in the rules regard overtaking that high beams can't currently be seen in MP, but I assume that only applies to the headlights or has been fixed. I definitely see people running with their front and roof auxiliary lights though. I also notice in-game that when the aux lights are enabled they will be on but dim when headlights are on, can other players see this or will they only see aux lights that are fully on? Or will other players always see them as fully on when headlights are on? (i.e. what appears to you as dimly-lit aux lights appears fully lit to other players)

High beams can now be seen, also all (other) lights can be seen, in the state they have been set by the player driving the truck.

And it is annoying for the driver in front of you to drive behind him with high beams on and a distance of less than 50 meteres. So, turn off your hghbeams when you drive behind someone.

3. I notice people putting country tags in their name, this is part of their steam username right? So for my name to say "Caesius [uSA]" I'd have to change my Steam name?

Yes, you have to change your user name, or use the MP-tag system. ->tab->settings-->player-tag Btw this will put your country tag into the front of your name

4. Is there a list of companies by member count, preferred language, preferred activities etc.? I may want to join an English-language company with a lot of members that does convoys and racing but don't know where to start.

First of, racing is illegal if it isn't an approved event.

There were some projects of a vtc list, but idk if they are still active.

There might be multiple systems of administation for those VTCs. Not every system does support a database request on how many drivers which company does have. The best would be to ask the

company you want to apply, how many drivers they have. You can do this in the companies section of every lanuage's discussion.

5. How do convoys work exactly? I notice convoys always run with cargo. Is everyone offered the same job in a city when they have the same skills? And when they take that job it doesn't remove it for other players? Do convoys know their destination in advance or do they just go with the available destinations from the job list in the starting city?

Jobs aren't synced (yet). So you have to take your cargo at another city and drive to the convoy meeting. Or you get a cheat profile and teleport yourself around.

Btw, there is a WIP tool to "sync" jobs manually. take a look to the unofficial tools section.

6. How often are jobs removed and/or repopulated? Could I be on my way to a job only for it to disappear when I get there?

Depends. Some say around every 1000 hours, others say more or less. If you don't want to take any job you have, go to SP and sleep a few times. In SP there are new jobs generateed about

every few minutes.

Or just use the "WIP synced jobs" tool.

"Just because others break rules, does not grant you the permission to break the rules as well"

Please drive respectful on the servers. Thank you!

Thanks everyone, these replies are really helpful!

There is no time that youshould have your lights turned on. But as soon as the lights at the road turn on, you should consider turning on your lights on as well.

Or just drive 24/7 with headlights on.

High beams can now be seen, also all (other) lights can be seen, in the state they have been set by the player driving the truck.

And it is annoying for the driver in front of you to drive behind him with high beams on and a distance of less than 50 meteres. So, turn off your hghbeams when you drive behind someone.

That's good to know. I guess it's a good idea in-game to follow RL best practices with lights then.

Yes, you have to change your user name, or use the MP-tag system. ->tab->settings-->player-tag Btw this will put your country tag into the front of your name

This is exactly what I was looking for. I also found a setting to increase the draw distance, which is great since I noticed last night that the mountains in Austria were only drawn to a certain distance...

I gave myself a blue USA tag. (I was tempted to make it say "USA!USA!USA") Now I'll get to see how many people are rude to me for it! :)

5. How the current system works, alot of players just get random jobs and follow the person infront who in turns follow the convoy leader, sometimes you'll all get the same job (There is a new tool coming out soon which allows you to all do the same job)

Jobs aren't synced (yet). So you have to take your cargo at another city and drive to the convoy meeting. Or you get a cheat profile and teleport yourself around.

Ah, that makes convoys sound less exciting... There'd probably be more incentive to stick around and finish the job if everyone actually had a job from point A to point B. Good to see it's being worked on though.

At Southern Freight Company, we have a group of drivers who just like to drive together, and chat while in teamspeak. Not very serious driving, but we follow the road rules. If you're looking for an English-speaking group to convoy with, submit an application on our thread here, and someone will respond soon. Also come onto our teamspeak and have a chat! http://forum.ets2mp.com/index.php?/topic/2773-recruiting-southern-freight-company-sfc-australia-new-zealand/

3.png

I'm actually getting an Xbone Forza 6 bundle tomorrow and likely won't be playing ETS2MP for much longer, if at all, so if I do join a company it'll be after I get back into the game again. But even going solo I'm loving MP so who knows, I may come back to it sooner rather than later.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived