too many servers got us separated from each other

reinramirez

While I appreaciate the purpose of having lots of server for different geographical locations, It just feels wrong that I havent played  MP in the last month because the roads are very empty in the asian server, but when I try to connect to EU1 id just get disconnected because of poor ping.

Im not a network kind of guys but hopefully there is a way that the other servers can be used to make our connections to EU1 much faster, hopefully.

thanks, this is just whats in my mind.

Im not a network kind of guys but hopefully there is a way that the other servers can be used to make our connections to EU1 much faster, hopefully.

That's not how it works, the other servers cannot be used to fix the latency issue your experiencing, because that is your issue. 

You PC needs to communicate with the server, meaning sending and receiving information about your position and others position. The time for each packet to get from your PC and back is called latency and it cannot be reduced, we live on this huge planet and we cannot make smaller :) adding more servers will make no difference. 

That's not how it works, the other servers cannot be used to fix the latency issue your experiencing, because that is your issue. 

You PC needs to communicate with the server, meaning sending and receiving information about your position and others position. The time for each packet to get from your PC and back is called latency and it cannot be reduced, we live on this huge planet and we cannot make smaller :) adding more servers will make no difference. 

But when those servers are connected to each other and would make 1 game server that would be awesome. Has already been discussed though, it would cost a lot of money. So unless we have a rich player among us who would like to donate a few thousand dollars, i'm afraid you'll have to do it with an empty server buddy..

No it's not expensive esp if servers exist... servers have almost direct connection to each other. Fewer transfer points. Residents can go threw many points before connecting to the true web.

My Quebec vps (USA server location) getting pinged by my France server (not the same location)

TC3mu3j.jpg

While in mp I get a avg of 120ms ping in eu1, I get 20-35 ms ping on USA so a 5 ms difference, not huge but I cut potentially dozens of extra connections in doing so.

Now ping has 2 enemies. Your location and the servers location. As mentioned distance matters farther you are long it takes data to travel.

If you lived in the south pole and the server is in the north pole. Even in a straight line on fiber will still be massive. If you lived next door to the server (literally) and had a direct connection your ping should be no more than 3 ms.

Can server communication improve ping? Yes, but by how much? It depends on the user and server location near them plus time to the central server which prob should be kept as France.

One huge benefit of server communication is users should be less prone to ping spikes due to a connection point getting overloaded :)

Signature removed by a wondering ghost

SUS0M9O.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Archived