Experiencing kernel error or random crashes on TruckersMP Island? ×

What we are missing...

S2020

This will be kind of SCS rant, but recently I'm trying to get used to some other games like DiRT Rally.

Amazing and hard rally game it is, but I can't help but notice how amazing graphics are... No, I'm not going to compare genres and such, just graphics... Mind you following video is taken within in game real time replay of my crappy game with GTX 660 Ti (I recorded it with ShadowPlay), which is mediocore graphics card at best...

Yet, I can not help but think with 980 Ti now, I can not feel that much sense of realistic graphics in ETS2 in any way, even with highest settings available, Anti alising sucks, FPS drops to 40's inside cities etc. How crappy engine ETS2 have... Sadly, SCS is wasting great potential with old Prism engine, when actually newer engines utilising best of DX10+ even for faster paced games than ETS2... 

"Trucking is like love... Only newbies go fast and end up early

"

Suppose they could have taken eg. Cryengine and made a truck game in that, licensing Cryengine isn't horribly expensive (eg. indies can afford it)

Dirt have a lot more money then SCS ;)

Dirt costs same to end-user with ETS2 + Scandinavia DLC. I think ETS2 is not that "unpopular"

Not to mention ETS2 Cost a lot more to end-user just to have a decent smoothness without much FPS loss by buying high end GPU's...

"

SCS is doing it slow n steady. Why do you think ETS1 had more countries like spain and portugal and ETS2 didn't whilst they could easily copy it? If they start releasing and updating things too fast too soon they'll run out of options. They keep players by bringing new stuff. Which is a fair and good method. Over a year from now on ETS2 will be very different than it is now, very different. SCS is expanding slowly but this will make them very big in a matter of time. 

Changing graphics engine would not be before ETS3 , so I would not hold my breath "over a year from now on"

Point is that, they need to redo everything for such "immersive" graphics. They can't even change old world textures into new textures of Scandinavia DLC because it messes up a lot of stuff...

"

ETS3 will probably not happen anytime soon. However, you're correct. Changing graphics would require the game to undergo some major changes that will require a lot of testing, editing, etc. Changing the game engine means that the entire game code needs to be rewritten, as far as i'm concerned. So if they create a new, better engine they'll have to do it in a new game, like you say, ETS3. 

Dirt have a lot more money then SCS ;)

Not really a valid excuse :P a better one would of been the time and money to relearn and develop using a new engine could of crippled the company to the point of bankruptcy.

If you know you'll make money from it over the next 5 years get a loan. Even if they had to increase the price of ets3 by ten bucks if it means 10x better graphics handling and better quality many here would pay it

Signature removed by a wondering ghost

SUS0M9O.gif

SCS is doing it slow n steady. Why do you think ETS1 had more countries like spain and portugal and ETS2 didn't whilst they could easily copy it? If they start releasing and updating things too fast too soon they'll run out of options. They keep players by bringing new stuff. Which is a fair and good method. Over a year from now on ETS2 will be very different than it is now, very different. SCS is expanding slowly but this will make them very big in a matter of time. 

Not really SCS rushed the release of ETS2 but copying and pasting Germany and the UK from their previous games so these countries are the worst countries to drive in ETS2 as their boring and most unrealistic they could of made these countries from scratch like the rest of the countries 

Sad part is players are suffering with GPU's that can do wonders on other games, with simple graphics we have in ETS2 now.

You have to take the other half of the players into account who don't have powerful GPU's at their disposal. It's the same reason why World of Warcraft has been using almost the same graphics from 10 years ago. It doesn't do any good to have a game that only half the potential userbase can even play with decent frame rates.

But I agree with you. The graphics could and should have been a bit better.

lu2f-1-644c.jpg

I'm clueless about technology and graphics engines etc. etc. I can't even make an ets2 mod, but I'm shocked no-one has pointed this out yet.

Dirt has to load each stage separately, it will load 1 track a few miles long with some static scenery.

ETS2 has to have an entire continent loaded and ready to show you on your screen at any time you are passing an area and in SP also has to load moving AI traffic (and pedestrians if settings are high enough).

So comparing the 2 graphics engines is like telling a fish it is thick as it can't climb a tree.

I agree, they probably should use a better engine, but the 2 games are not comparable, you would need to look more towards GTA or Just Cause (open world free roam games).

Although, when you look at other driving sims (not racing sims) (OMSI is only 1 that comes to my mind) ETS2 possibly has the best graphics of them all.

Soarfly Haulage VLC Driver

What you're saying is actually untrue. If you "where"to load the whole ets2 map it woulda take you hours.

What open world games do is call on texture files when needed. That's why when I loaded GTA 4 on my p4 I got the game to load in but no textures showed up but the map icon XD

Signature removed by a wondering ghost

SUS0M9O.gif

All 32-bit games have like ~ 2.5 gb's of memory to utilize at maximum. All "Open map" games simply remove some of old textures and data and get new textures and data to memory instead of loading all stuff at once. Beside that doing that does not make them less limited. They can do everything other games can... Only can have some delay on I/O time reading from disk and all. Is not excuse for engine cumbursome, no AA or effects.

"

The game was made over three years ago. You want them to stop developing ETS2 already? Start on a whole new game? Lets wait for ATS first, eh? ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived