Being able to view DLCs without owning them (Maybe?)

El Barto

To start off. I already know that developers said no to this. I'm just writing down an idea of how to do it (maybe?), without giving DLCs for free to the other users.

Suggestion Name: Being able to view DLCs without owning them.

Suggestion DescriptionWell, we all know that to be able to see the DLC skin of another truck (and now the Raven tires from Christmas Gift DLC), we've got to own this DLC ourselves.. It's kind of bothering, as we aren't able to see the full customisation of other player's truck, unless we own the same DLC as they are using..

My "solution" to this, is kind of simple. ETS2MP is a mod, what this mean is that it changes the game for us to be able to play all together. I believe, that ETS2MP folder should have a folder or maybe a .zip (or whatever format they prefer to use) containing all the skins and modifications from the game (obviously, except for map DLCs). This folder should be encrypted/with password, so that normal users can't access it.

Now here is the part where a little bit of coding comes into place. Developers will need to change the route (or create a command in ETS2MP game) so that everytime a truck from another player comes into the screen (each time a truck is rendered) instead of looking for it's skin/upgrades in the normal ETS2 folder, it will look for it's skin/upgrades in the ETS2MP folder. Allowing each user to view the upgrades/skins of each others truck.

This would be like Live For Speed skins, in a way... They get downloaded into another folder (not the skins of the local player) Making it so that every user can see the rest of the vehicle's skin.

Any example images: Images aren't necessary, I believe.

Why should it be added?: To be able to view the skins (and now upgrades) of each others truck.

Suggestions are accepted, I'll answer any questions if I didn't express myself correctly (as english isn't my mother tongue, I don't know if I expressed my idea correctly)

I'll kindly ask the readers that aren't developers/admins of the MP mod, to not say this won't be done. As you aren't the ones who take the final decisions here. Thank you.

• Upvote 2

PbF4Qgv.png
Retired Team Member
// Report // Ban appeal // Ingame rules // Support //

^

I already own them  ;)

What I meant is an encrypted copy (maybe in lower quality) inside the ETS2MP folder, this way we can view trucks with them, but cannot use them, if we don't own them.

(This is meant so that players without the DLCs can see the trucks of the people who do own them).

Edited by Anriandor
Removed unnecessary quotation.

PbF4Qgv.png
Retired Team Member

Uhm, a way to explain it... It would be like in a typical online game in which there is people who pay for some benefits.

Maybe like Need for Speed Online, in which you can pay money to buy modifications (like tuning, engines, whatever) and the rest of the players can see this user using them, but they won't be able to use it unless they pay for this benefit too.

About SCS, I don't believe this will affect them in any way, rather than just advertising their paid DLCs to show to the rest of the users how they look (¿?) I'm pretty sure that if we ask them, they should understand and allow us to do this, as we ain't gifting their paid DLCs, just showing them.  :)

PbF4Qgv.png
Retired Team Member

I Completely agree with this, otherwise you are unable to see any DLC´s.

For an example, a trailer without wheels.

And yes, people can see the DLC´s but not use the DLC´s cause they are not in their Steam library

You are right, BUT in order to make it happen the server will have to DISTRIBUTE the DLC and that is NOT legal. That is infringing the copyright.

- I'm not saying I'm Wonder Woman; I'm just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman in the same room together.

^

That's why I said lower quality encrypted, inside the MP files and not the actual game. This way, users won't be able to use it.

Technically you aren't distributing an illegal copy as it is not for personal use. You won't be able to use it, only see it if the other truck owns it.

Edited by Anriandor

PbF4Qgv.png
Retired Team Member

but the server will still have to distribute it which is not legal.. distributing is happening when the MP mod makes it visible, aka distributing it to make it visible to other players that havn't paid for it.

- I'm not saying I'm Wonder Woman; I'm just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman in the same room together.

^

Approximately 5 posts above, I wrote: 

About SCS, I don't believe this will affect them in any way, rather than just advertising their paid DLCs to show to the rest of the users how they look (¿?) I'm pretty sure that if we ask them, they should understand and allow us to do this, as we ain't gifting their paid DLCs, just showing them. 

And yeah, it's true we are only showing what they are selling.

If we ask them and get a special permission or whatever, we for sure will get it, as we aren't using their DLCs for what they are meant to be (modify the local user's truck), but we would be using them to modify the truck which has actually paid for the DLC.

You european have too much laws  <_<  And all of you take them way too strictly...

Edited by Anriandor

PbF4Qgv.png
Retired Team Member

^

Yup, maybe it won't, if developers act like you and be negative about it, of course it'll never happen.

The only possible way for it to happen is doing things. Asking for a special permission to SCS about it, is the only thing needed for this to happen. If they say no, okay obviously not gonna happen. If they say yes, we are allowed for this to happen...

It's incredible how just asking makes alot of difference, between thinking this won't happen.. And asking and later on being sure that this really can't happen or than this actually CAN happen..

Edited by Anriandor

PbF4Qgv.png
Retired Team Member

^

SCS doesn't officially support any mods. So why would they? I would love to see this happen, but lets be realistic. It wont.

Edited by Anriandor

^

They say that, because they don't want to be responsible of any mod braking the game..

"...Why would they?.." That question has got a really simple answer... MP mod is the most popular mod in ETS2 and it has helped SCS Software in getting much more people buying their game legally, instead of getting a cracked copy. If it wasn't because of the MP mod, I'd be playing a cracked copy of the game right now, and many other users too..

Also, there is people who bought (or get to know about the game) because of the Multiplayer mod.

So, yeah... If they are an intelligent company (which I'm sure they are) they would help the MP mod from time to time (like for example with things like this) to make themselves more earnings and speding no money at all...

Edited by Anriandor

PbF4Qgv.png
Retired Team Member

^

I get both sides here. Obviously it would be illeagal to distribute them, but as El Barto said, asking doesn't cost anything

If they say no, ok then, won't happen, but what if they say yes? If we don't ask, we won't ever have a chance

Edited by Anriandor

Ea2GOtu.png

Add this to your signature!

[img]http://i.imgur.com/Ea2GOtu.png[/img]

The quality of the material is not a legal factor to determine whether someone performs an act of piracy. It's doesn't matter whether I rip an MP3 with 40 kbps or 320kbps or add some banner telling others to buy this tracks. The owner of the content did not agree with that way of distribution. It's that simple. No way around it.

While you can't see exactly the contents of a DLC, ETS2 does have a fallback mechanism that does show for instance just an empty trailer (with a helicopter) to someone if they don't have the High Power DLC, or it reverts to a default color of the truck is you're missing a skin DLC. Players that don't have the Going East DLC also can't visit Hungary and within a few weeks a certain amount of the players won't be able to visit Stockholm when the Scandinavia DLC comes out.

The ETS2 DLC's are very often on sale at the steam stores. Especially the non-skin DLC's.

510 Horses and one lucky bird at work

Simulators: Prepar3d V4, X-Plane 11, DCS 1.5 + 2.x, ETS2, ATS, Farming Simulator 17, Omsi 1 + 2

System: Intel i7-6700K @ 4700Mhz, 32GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance LPX, GTX970,  HP LP2475w monitor (1920x1200)
Devices: Logitech G27, SKRS Shifter, CH Products Throttle Quadrant, Trustmaster Hotas Joystick, TrackIR
Storage: 2 x SM961 - 250GB (raid 0), Samsung 850 pro 1TB disk, Samsung 850 EVO 2TB disk.

^

I was referring to skins and truck upgrades (such as the new Raven wheels) to be seen by the rest of the players. And not maps.. (of course that giving the DLC maps is illegal, that's pretty obvious).

But when people buy skin DLCs, what they want is to show off their truck, and making it possible for the rest of the players to see it (not use it).

In any other online game, people can buy DLCs and expansion packs and the rest of the users can see that the other user bought it.

☺Going back to my example: I buy neon lights (with actual money) in Need For Speed Online. The rest of the players can see I bought this benefit, but if they want to use it, they'll have to pay for it too..

☺Another Example: Heroes & Generals: I can buy soldier DLC packs, I use them (as I bought them) and the rest of the people can see it...

The only thing that I'm saying is that we can ask SCS about this.... Instead of just going to a complete negation statement and say "No, this is illegal"

As myluki2000 said: asking doesn't cost anything

Edited by Anriandor

PbF4Qgv.png
Retired Team Member

I understand where you're coming from, but as stated by other users copyright would be an issue. Myself, I would love if there was a way for this to work; but at the moment I do not think we'll be seeing this anytime soon.

0cRIb6g.png

SCS Software - Senior Beta Tester

Former Community Manager - Former In-Game Administrator - Former Squirrel.TV Moderation Team Member

Did I provide useful information? Please click "Like This" if so!

• 1 month later...

Putting paid dlc in for people who have not paid for it would be breaking the terms of ETS2 and could get ETS2 MP in trouble.

No Sorry it's not that, I am just being misspoken

for example, if I do not have the DLC and that player was in front , it would be nice that one can see his skin !

In any case I wanted that we can have the DLC for free

I edit the post

1532623929-signature-domi-3.jpg