OBS recording broken after windows 10

aaaMArtin

Question

Hi guys!

This might not be the right place to ask for help on this, but I thought you might have some answers regardless.

So here's the problem. I just upgraded my PC from windows 8.1 to 10, and afterwards, recording with OBS has been nothing but a mess. It's very unpredictable in the way it handles. Now, OBS is the software I use to record gameplay in ETS2MP, and it has worked like a charm until now. What happens is that when I watch the playback of the video the image freezes and changes up every now and then. Sound doesn't seem to be affected. What's odd though, is that when I'm in the menu, everything is as it should, and that really messes with my head. I uploaded a video so you guys can see for yourself. Watch it till the end, and you can see the difference between being in-game and in the menu. 

Also, there has also been cases where it is simply a black screen all the time, yet sound is still as usual. Not sure what makes one happen over the other.

If anyone has any clue whatsoever on what could be happening here, I would be very thankful! I have tried messing with settings, both on obs and euro truck with no luck. I tried running them in compatibility mode for both windows 8 and 7, but still no results. I even reinstalled obs, but that changed nothing as well. So, yeah, this is pretty frustrating, but maybe you guys know something I don't! 

Thanks in advance!

Regards
Martin

I'm guessing not enough data could be written to update frames, thus cut up driving while it would be fine in the main menu with less movement.

It kind of does make sense, but I don't get why it worked perfectly before the upgrade. 

Did you try to reinstall the software? Clean registry and try then. Or try to use other codec...

Yeah, I tried. I also tried to use the multiplatform one, but it was the exact same problem. I just feel like there is something about the match of win10, obs and ets2 that doesn't work... :/

I've tried earlier to reduce the bitrate, but that changed nothing. Tried approx. 1000 kb/s and nothing changed. Except the quality that is :P I don't think there would be a difference between streaming and recording, as it seems as if the problem is the fact that obs won't capture the game properly. Meaning that the stuttering will probably occur there as well. Btw, thanks for the help :)

^ Thank you!

So I did some more testing on the matter, and I think I have located the issue. I tried to record with my settings at the lowest possible (in-game settings, that is) to see if that made any difference. And to my surprise it did. It has been mentioned earlier that it might be my hardware causing this, and that my computer really can't take the strain, and to be honest that's what it seems like. If I played the game with solid 60 FPS (which I rarely do, but on the lowest settings it was achievable), OBS behaves as it should. That explains why OBS behaved naturally in the menus earlier, considering I would always get 60 FPS there. 

Another interesting point is that if I turn V-sync of, OBS does no longer manage to record the menus either (FPS would go up tp ~180). To me that seems like a resource allocation issue. It's like ETS has first priority on all resources, so OBS gets none (if that makes sense). I also tried the economic V-sync, which caps the frames at 30FPS, and that meant that OBS could function perfectly fine as long as I did not dip under that. If I got 25 FPS in that case, the recording would start to stutter as shown in my original clip. 

While I guess this does make sense in some way, I have yet to figure out why it didn't happen on windows 8. I have never recorded ETS2 with 60FPS, quite the contrary. In MP, I could get down to 10-20FPS at worst (Rotterdam, EP etc.), yet the recording was fine. If I lagged in game, the recording simply shows that I lagged, but didn't lag itself. 

I hope I made a somewhat understandable post, and would love to hear your thoughts on this! It's such a wierd issue.

this has been an long issue hopefully it get solved one day , i would like to move this thread to solutions because of the amount of players that use OBS ,and it might be helpful to others that also experience some problems, and can share there opinion and there solution to the problem.

• Upvote 1

Sorry for the massive bump on this, but I just found the solution to this problem. And it was annoyingly simple... All I had to do was to run ETS2 in compatibilty mode for windows 8, and now it works perfectly again. It just took me half a year to figure out! 

So if anyone else should have this problem, try running ETS2MP in compatibility mode! (Last time I only tried running OBS in compatibility mode, which obviously didn't work)

Cheers! :D

- Happy, and now safe trucker!

My OBS Working fine? If you are running OpenGL, I wouldn't suggest using OBS aswell. There are some known issues

High End Transport, Driver | WoTRDB, Support and Translator | Freelance Virtual Photographer                                          

KVVcvfk.jpg

Excellence In Motion

What? I don't understand your post. I solved the problem, it's working fine now :) This was a problem that occured after I upgraded to windows 10, and I never really though the game would be the problem. (Hence why I never ran it in compatibility mode before). I always thought that this was a problem between OBS and Win10, which it probably is, but "eliminating" windows 10 by running the game in windows 8 mode, removes the conflict somehow. 

Basically this:

Obs + win8  = works fine
Obs + win10 = disaster
Obs + compatibility mode to win8 = works fine again