OBS recording broken after windows 10

aaaMArtin

Question

Hi guys!

This might not be the right place to ask for help on this, but I thought you might have some answers regardless.

So here's the problem. I just upgraded my PC from windows 8.1 to 10, and afterwards, recording with OBS has been nothing but a mess. It's very unpredictable in the way it handles. Now, OBS is the software I use to record gameplay in ETS2MP, and it has worked like a charm until now. What happens is that when I watch the playback of the video the image freezes and changes up every now and then. Sound doesn't seem to be affected. What's odd though, is that when I'm in the menu, everything is as it should, and that really messes with my head. I uploaded a video so you guys can see for yourself. Watch it till the end, and you can see the difference between being in-game and in the menu. 

Also, there has also been cases where it is simply a black screen all the time, yet sound is still as usual. Not sure what makes one happen over the other.

If anyone has any clue whatsoever on what could be happening here, I would be very thankful! I have tried messing with settings, both on obs and euro truck with no luck. I tried running them in compatibility mode for both windows 8 and 7, but still no results. I even reinstalled obs, but that changed nothing as well. So, yeah, this is pretty frustrating, but maybe you guys know something I don't! 

Thanks in advance!

Regards
Martin

Just a question that came up: Is your OBS version compatible with windows 10?

Edit: I just saw your video, looks weird.. Have you checked your OBS settings? 

Edit 2: It may be the windows 10 thingy, I read some articles on the internet were people complain that they are having issues with OBS on Win 10 too.

yea i agree with your second edit. ive seen a lot of articles on the obs forums and windows 10 forum about OBS not working properly. i dont believe it is a ETS2:MP problem, i believe it is a Windows 10 problem...!

76561198087568434.png

DONATE TO HELP SICK CHILDREN HAVE SOME FUN!

S6Jgkwa.jpg

4605508797.png

^

Should people have different builds though?

Well, it says on the homepage of OBS that it is compatible with windows 10, but maybe that's wrong. 

my OBS is working fine, same exact install that was on my windows 7 (just dragged and dropped. i know, im lazy) all i had to do was reinstall my plugins

doing 2+ hour streams with no issues

what it might be is that some of your settings got messed up

Hmm, that's odd. It shouldn't be a difference from streaming and recording.. I did go through my settings, and as far as I can tell, all the settings are the same as before the upgrade. Is there any particular setting I should doublecheck?

Also, I've noticed that regular screen recording doesn't work either. If I try that, all I get is a black screen. However, if I run it in compatibility mode for windows 7, that problem sorts itself out. 

Try switching between "Game capture", "Monitor capture" and "Window Capture". I've heard that the first one is not always working well on Windows 10.

And make sure the bitrate is stable.

Uy7RSMH.jpg4574906475.png

^ Oh look at my speedtest results, they're totally legit! Internet straight outta hell! ^

So what I've figured out is that Game Capture still behaves the way it did in the clip above. Monitor Capture simply gives a black screen and shows nothing. Window Capture on the other hand does work as it should. But I must say that it is a pain to play in windowed mode :/ 

And make sure the bitrate is stable.

Forgive my noobness, but how would I know this? 

Forgive my noobness, but how would I know this? 

When you start recording with OBS, on the bottom right part of the window you'll see the bitrate (make sure you're recording the game while checking it!). If the square on the left to it is green, it's fine. If it's red, it means your PC is not keeping up with encoding. If that's the case:

• Make sure you're using accelerated encoders. Intel QuickSync (requires an Intel CPU that supports QuickSync) gives a good boost. NVENC (requires an NVidia GPU) accelerates encoding even more. If you have an AMD GPU, you can use AMD VCE. Although you'll need to download a special version of OBS to utilize this function.
  • Modify other encoding settings. Try lowering the max bitrate or mess with advanced settings (this will require you to use Google to find out how each option affects the stream)
  • Free up system resources - close programs running in background.

I can confirm that OBS works perfectly fine with ETS2MP on Windows 10 so there's a specific issue with your PC.

Also install "Visual C++ Redistributable Packages for Visual Studio 2013". I had to install these to make OBS fully functional.

^ Oh look at my speedtest results, they're totally legit! Internet straight outta hell! ^

First of all, thanks for all the help!

When you start recording with OBS, on the bottom right part of the window you'll see the bitrate (make sure you're recording the game while checking it!). If the square on the left to it is green, it's fine. If it's red, it means your PC is not keeping up with encoding. 

I set up an extra screen to test just this and noticed something wierd. While I'm in the pause menu in game the box is green and the bitrate is stable around what I set as max bitrate. What's strange though, is that once I press drive in the menu, OBS seems to freeze. The preview shows a black screen, the square is green, and the bitrate is completely frozen at one value. Once I get back to the menu again, it works as it should again. However, as the change from game to menu is done, the bitrate goes crazy. Even if my max bitrate is set at 3000, the value it shows jumps up to ~40 000! That's insane. It's like it's backing up all the bitrate while I'm in game, and then it's pouring out when entering the menu again...  :wacko:

• Make sure you're using accelerated encoders. Intel QuickSync (requires an Intel CPU that supports QuickSync) gives a good boost. NVENC (requires an NVidia GPU) accelerates encoding even more. If you have an AMD GPU, you can use AMD VCE. Although you'll need to download a special version of OBS to utilize this function.
  • Modify other encoding settings. Try lowering the max bitrate or mess with advanced settings (this will require you to use Google to find out how each option affects the stream)
  • Free up system resources - close programs running in background.

Usually I've been using x264 as coding, but tested out both QuickSync and NVENC. However the results are the same. (I have an i7-4700MQ CPU @ 2.40 GHz, and an Nvidia GeForce GT 750M) Also tried to lower the bitrate with no success. I rarely run anything else when I'm playing games in general, so there's not much else that could be running in the background. 

I can confirm that OBS works perfectly fine with ETS2MP on Windows 10 so there's a specific issue with your PC.

Also install "Visual C++ Redistributable Packages for Visual Studio 2013". I had to install these to make OBS fully functional.

Hmm, that's odd. I'm not sure if I can agree on that one. As said in my first post, everything was running smoothly until I upgraded to windows 10. That tells me there is a conflict between the new OS and OBS. I'm hoping for a fix from the developers of OBS, as I've heard I'm not the only one with problems. They are currently working on it, so if I'm lucky, that will help my case as well :) Btw, I installed those packages, still with no luck. Thanks for the help regardless! It's much appreciated! :)

Your GPU doesn't support NVENC but your CPU should work with QuickSync so you can stick with that encoder.

Also try updating your drivers from NVidia website (32-bit, 64-bit), these were updated very recently (literally yesterday).

or use another program to record and if i do understand correctly you have NVidia ?

then i suggest shadowplay for now until obs fixed the problem 

Shadowplay is only supported for GTX GPUs (OP has GT750M). Although there seems to be some kind of trick that might force Shadowplay to work.

Okay, so I did some more testing with OBS on other games, with varying results. ETS is still acting as it does in my first video. Everything is up to date at the moment I'm writing this. So I tried to record some SpinTires to see how that was working, and the results are exactly the same. Then I tried it with a game called Pulsar: Lost Colony, which worked absolutely perfect. I have no idea what this means :P

or use another program to record and if i do understand correctly you have NVidia ?

then i suggest shadowplay for now until obs fixed the problem 

As TheReduxPL said, my card doesn't support shadowplay, so that's not really an option. 

Shadowplay is only supported for GTX GPUs (OP has GT750M). Although there seems to be some kind of trick that might force Shadowplay to work.

I read the article, and I guess I could do that, but I don't really want a program that's not actually meant to function with my graphics card. If I were to do that, I would expect plenty of problems, especially if things get updated or patched. 

What version of MP do you use? DirectX or OpenGL?

FYI there are some known issues with OBS + OpenGL in ETS2.

I've mainly been using DirectX, but I tried once with OpenGL as well, however that chopped up my frames pretty bad. And as far as I remember there was no difference between recording DirectX or OpenGL. Same issues. 

I use OBS on Windows 10 (Fraps broke £24 wasted :angry: ) and its fine for me go check out my channel if you want my latest 10ish videos are using OBS some are not even out yet.

I believe you :P I'm not sure what makes it work for you and not for me though.