Server spitballing

Beefy32659_YT

Looking at the numbers using the US, South America, and Asia servers, compared to the EU servers, I'm curious as to why the numbers are so much lower. Is it just due to a lack of local relevance?

Anybody who can help me with the answer, please let me know yours thoughts via a comment on this post.

Cheers.

If my comment helped, Please give a Positive Rating above ↗ ↗ ↗

EU1 has always been the main server, people prefer to have higher ping and play with many other people rather than playing with 100 or less people in a very big map.

So, is it the case that there are lots of people on the EU servers who live in the US? or, have the other servers not yet managed to reach critical mass?

If my comment helped, Please give a Positive Rating above ↗ ↗ ↗

have the other servers not yet managed to reach critical mass?

US1 only saw it's peak back when EU1 was at 2500 players limit and there was ~3.5k players that wanted to play. outside of that, us1 has only been declining in population.

SA1 seems to have gotten a small, but dedicated population (200-500 depending on what day it is) while AS1 doesn't seem to have gained many players at all, this could be attributed to that some places in Asia mobile internet is the norm, so the brunt of the latency isn't from the distance to the server but the method of connection, while South America fixed connections like we're used to in EU and US are much more common. Additionally players from Oceania don't really seem to get a substantial ping benefit over playing on EU1 vs. AS1.

Ok just a random thought

Is it not possible for multiple servers in different locations to talk to each other so rather than having EU, Asia, US etc we have 1 server and you auto connect to the server with the lowest ping that has room for more players?

• DevOps

Ok just a random thought

Is it not possible for multiple servers in different locations to talk to each other so rather than having EU, Asia, US etc we have 1 server and you auto connect to the server with the lowest ping that has room for more players?

Almost anything is possible, it's just very difficult technically speaking to pull that off without some major changes, however it's a pipe dream feature we would love to have!

Traffic Cameras : twitch.tv/kat_pw | Ets2Map : ets2map.com
Kat_pw Status:image.png[CCTV #1] Status:image.png[CCTV #2] Status:image.png[CCTV #3] Status:image.png

Ok just a random thought

This is a technique already being used by some other major online games. Unfortunately ets2mp doesn't have the financing for this. Hopefully later

^ Games that do this usually do it within a region or even within a single data center where the latency is in the sub 10 ms area

Ok just a random thought

A problem with this is that you will still have latency between the servers, getting a low latency path to a server across the world is fairly difficult, and you will still be limited by physics and hardware along the path.

eg. if I got 15ms to eu1, and you're connected to us1 with 30ms, and between eu1 and us1 there's 100ms latency, between us there will then be a precieved latency of 145 ms or more (due to the processing time on each server as well), so you might just be back to square one.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived