Trailers "weight" and feelings

alexkidd62

Am I the only one thinking that trailers feeling is wrongly done in ETS2? IMO they give you no sensations of weight for example by going uphill (feeling is a bit better slowing down truck) but even worse downhill the jake brakes even lowered to nearly nothing are too powerfull, add on top of that the fact that the trailer stability is way to high, I remember a game I played years ago called "King of the Road" and I enjoyed the physics of the trailers at this time.

Actually you can brake like crazy, even going downhill at 80km/h and braking on a 20meter mark.... without locking wheels... even with the best braking system its like no way!

Actually you can also turn at full throttle and this without the trailer and the truck to just... explode in a tree or fences...

In definitive, overall Truck stability is way to high, taking a sharp turn at 80km/h would result in a crash by slipping into fence... or worse falling of the mountains plus trailers would slip also and go side way.

This is sad because to me its the only thing that could potentialy makes me say "ETS2 is not a pure simulation" but a mix of an Arcade game and a simulation.

So... what do you think?

Is there any way to improve this in multiplayer?

Between english is not my natural language so please be cool !!

Happy trucking!

1. Trailers have no weight? Get a weaker truck rather than a 750 Volvo/730 Scania or pull heavy loads, I put a 750 in my Actros and I can still feel the weight of heavy loads.

2. There's an option to change trailer stability

3. The best braking systems can't brake without locking up? Doesn't look like this one locks up to me. It's not downhill but the braking is far more extreme than what you'll do in ETS.

4. Truck stability is too high? Turn it down in the options.

Am I the only one thinking that trailers feeling is wrongly done in ETS2? IMO they give you no sensations of weight for example by going uphill

Actually you can brake like crazy, even going downhill at 80km/h and braking on a 20meter mark.... without locking wheels... even with the best braking system its like no way!

Actually you can also turn at full throttle and this without the trailer and the truck to just... explode in a tree or fences...

In definitive, overall Truck stability is way to high, taking a sharp turn at 80km/h would result in a crash by slipping into fence...

Try a Mapmod with a bit longer steeper hills and a trailer with 25-30t load and you will notice the weight (got nearly stuck a few days ago while braking on a slope cause of traffic and not getting the speed for going up....had to use the parkingbrake for accelerating on the hill.

There exist stuff like ABS which prevents wheels from locking.

Depends what you mean with full trottle.

And if you have a trailer in the back and are trying to get a sharp turn with 80 or more you notice that you may want to slow down..at least i do notice it when the truck & trailer want to not keep themself in the lane.

1. Trailers have no weight? Get a weaker truck rather than a 750 Volvo/730 Scania or pull heavy loads, I put a 750 in my Actros and I can still feel the weight of heavy loads.

2. There's an option to change trailer stability

3. The best braking systems can't brake without locking up? Doesn't look like this one locks up to me. It's not downhill but the braking is far more extreme than what you'll do in ETS.

4. Truck stability is too high? Turn it down in the options.

1. I only pull heavy loads and I never said I don't feel the weight at all but to me it's not enough!

2. I tested a while back at the release of ets2 and didn't noticed any change, should try again but "slider type" for this option is weird you got no information on if its on the left its more arcade and if it's on the right it's "normal" or kind of realistic and not "over realistic"

3. Yeah this system work but as far as i know there is no kind of "emergency brake system" in ETS2 because there is no drive assist option except those sliders that "may" make the game likely more "harder".

4. I don't remember an option like this one but if it's in the game its the same as point 2

Will test again when back from work! ;)

EDIT : Just to experience what i said earlier going straight forward on a long road and lock at for example 100km/h now give some brutal left right kicks and try to make the trailer sliding... if you do so i want a video ;)

@Wolfpig : By going full throttle i mean you can take a sharp turn (not 90°) without releasing the throttle and you can even brake during a turn without loosing any traction and here even with the best drive assist this is not possible.

If you use you brake in a turn you probably end up off the road your wheels would lock and your truck wont turn at all and slide straight forward pushed by the trailer

OR

End like this

The retarder in this game is very powerful.  The jake brake less so and using it at high speed doesn't do much but works much better at lower speeds when the retarder fades out.  Iveco's jake brakes on the other hand works twice as well as other trucks in-game.

You are right, the Jake brake coupled with a little bit of "brake power" is as powerfull as the retarder if not more but to make it powerfull you need to shift down just above or in the red zone :)  the retarder is used downhill to keep a constant speed contrary to the Jake brake that is more used to stop the truck without using to much "brake power".

1. " they give you no sensations of weight "...

2 and 4. fair enough

"Brutal left and rights" Even a simple Slalom is far more than any normal left right combination thrown at you on the road and trucks mange them perfectly fine. If you're in an area that throws you several left and rights that are more aggressive than a slalom then you wont be doing 100k...

"If you use you brake in a turn you probably end up off the road" - You shouldn't use the foot brake in a turn anyway, if you do then you're just asking to flip the truck or at the very least jackknife, the trailer brakes are prefect for situations where you need to slow down mid corner and I assume the same applies for the engine brake and retarder as they aren't as aggressive as the foot brake.

Besides, if you need to brake mid corner for anything other than an emergency you've gone into the corner too fast and you wreck because of your bad driving. One exception being down hill sections of road(especially those downward loops) in which case you'd just use the retarder and/or a weak brake.

cant find the footage but yeah i saw once a truck noticing a traffic jam WAY to late on the highway.he slammed hes brakes,noticed he wont make it soo steered into middle lane(jam was 100 m or soo shorter there) while he was doing this the wheels of hes trailer locked up (not sure if the trailer brakes have ABS) and basicly the trailer was going sideways a little.things like that indeed are impossible in-game.

the game is pretty good but the physics arent amazingly accurate.same with an emergency brake in general theres not even slight tire squeeking (yes ABS prevents lockup but tires will make noise)

but then again can you realy complain? the game isnt terrible :P

@TheMc Same, all the situation you took as examples are the best situtations that you should ever encounter if you drive carefully, but sometimes things happen, and in ETS2 fact is that by doings misstakes there is nearly no risks because physics is not that great to me. I wish it was more accurate to feel the thrill of driving heavy haulers in the back in sharps turn uphill, downhill and whatever situtations i may fall on. Its just sad that i need to slow down in corners even if there is no risk for me to crash only because out of the simulation its how i drive when im not able to see the end of the corner and won't risk it with a truck for example.

At least if ETS2 was a bit more harder, ppl playing like if they were late in MP, burning red lights, cutting corners, driving on the wrong lane, speeding everywhere except in town wouldn't be there !

But anyway i like the game personnaly I would just make it harder ! :)

@TheMc Same, all the situation you took as examples are the best situtations that you should ever encounter if you drive carefully, but sometimes things happen, and in ETS2 fact is that by doings misstakes there is nearly no risks because physics is not that great to me. I wish it was more accurate to feel the thrill of driving heavy haulers in the back in sharps turn uphill, downhill and whatever situtations i may fall on. Its just sad that i need to slow down in corners even if there is no risk for me to crash only because out of the simulation its how i drive when im not able to see the end of the corner and won't risk it with a truck for example.

At least if ETS2 was a bit more harder, ppl playing like if they were late in MP, burning red lights, cutting corners, driving on the wrong lane, speeding everywhere except in town wouldn't be there !

But anyway i like the game personnaly I would just make it harder ! :)

There's a difference between best and realistic situations...

yes there is, I agree and that's why i said that making misstake in ETS2 won't make your truck break/flip/destroy/jackknife/slip out of the road and whatever realistic thing that can happen ^^ or you really have to want it!

Weight is realistic, anything over 7 tonnes you feel the "any" semi getting heavier, regardless of your engine power. What is not realistic is 125 tonne challanges... or anything over 20 tonnes and doing 90 kmph... 

Brakes on the other hand like many others said, I wish my truck has brakes like this in real life...

I always said , kiddos here like to drive 90 kmph on one lane roads, I'd like to see them try in real life with a trailer... Ofcourse in first turn they'll be dead probably....

"Trucking is like love... Only newbies go fast and end up early

"

I always said , kiddos here like to drive 90 kmph on one lane roads, I'd like to see them try in real life with a trailer... Ofcourse in first turn they'll be dead probably....

Fact is nothing won't restrain them to do otherwise since taking a turn at that speed is not impossible in many cases :)

"For full-scale simulation, We recommend obtaining a C+E licenses"

Comparing a game to a real life, really?! Then I'd like to see you staying online(ingame) and parked for 48 game-hours for your pause

Coming from a moderator I have to admit that I'm suprised since this can be called "a bad attempt to troll", anyway for your information here is a link : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simulation and as far as I know this game is called Euro Truck "Simulator" 2.

And also I'm not criticizing the game I just give my personnal opinion on a point that could be enhanced.

Problem how to fix this and gain more feeling.

1. Get a smaller engine

2. Change your stability on your trailer

3. Lower your breaks if you think they are too strong.

I'm playing with sliders all on the left and have a 480 and i don't see much difference ;)

No, its not trolling, i am serious - After all this is a game and IT IS NOT MADE to be used for training or testing drivers in various situations

Aynway, it doesn't matter what is being brought in the game - People will be always a lot more careless in the game, because they won't lose anything, while on the real road,  the same players  may even lose their life

Actually it is a bit trolling as you can't even park for 10 minutes ingame and not getting a AFK kick. 

About the realism, the game physics are getting better and better. But even fullsize truck simulators don't have reallife physics.

That is why truck manufacturers provide driver training courses. Most courses are about economic driving, but there are courses where you drive on a private site and learn how to make emergency stops, what (not) to do if you are about to flip over, etc. 

However I suggest that once your on the road in real life, check the engine specifications of the trucks you encounter. You'll will notice that you hardly find any truck with over 520hp and i would probably take a few hours on the highway to actually see a truck that has more than 700hp. Of course this depends a little on where you live, but in general the average engine has only 450hp. This is also because of EU (environmental) regulations.. These restrictions has lead to very interesting developments into the automotive industry. For instance, a few weeks ago Volkswagen (owner of Scania and MAN) released a press release saying that it has developed a 3 cilinder TSI engine which can produce 270hp

510 Horses and one lucky bird at work

Simulators: Prepar3d V4, X-Plane 11, DCS 1.5 + 2.x, ETS2, ATS, Farming Simulator 17, Omsi 1 + 2

System: Intel i7-6700K @ 4700Mhz, 32GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance LPX, GTX970,  HP LP2475w monitor (1920x1200)
Devices: Logitech G27, SKRS Shifter, CH Products Throttle Quadrant, Trustmaster Hotas Joystick, TrackIR
Storage: 2 x SM961 - 250GB (raid 0), Samsung 850 pro 1TB disk, Samsung 850 EVO 2TB disk.

I bet you never drive with less than 500 hp ya ?  :D

Let me explain to you the different in real life and what you feel in ETS2.

In game, if drive with keyboard accel and brake, when you press the button, it will always 100% accel and 100% brake. and hell yeah in real life there is not much truck with 500 hp. And even some of them with 6/2  or 6/4 chassis only have 440 hp like stobart volvo and they used to have more than 18 tonnes of load.

You should try to drive < 500hp and use pedal and mouse steering. Get used to it and you'll see the different. Anyway don't just take any trailer, see your chassis configuration too for more realistic. I currently drive R490 with 4/2, so i'll never have more than 20 tonnes of trailer.

TERjqBU.png

I've noticed it takes me a fairy decent amount of time to stop now. I also keep the brake slider and stability slider low. If you use the 4x2 you will also have to be more careful for the stability issue. 

I will agree though it seems current physics don't really support the trailer "pushing" the tractor into a jackknife, you tend to just roll it.

My opinion is that the game is realistic in many perspectives, but at the same also unrealistic. Since the last updates we got so many brakes.. Normal brake, engine brake, exhaust brake, trailer brake, it's crazy. SCS should be concentrating on their game's engine and put some real life data in it..

Yeah they add it to make it more realistic. What kind of real life data ? Like you'll be automatic attached to the trailer when backing up and you need to press the button to put trailer foot up, it will be awesome. And it should be posted on SCS forum anyway :D

TERjqBU.png

Archived