Experiencing kernel error or random crashes on TruckersMP Island? ×

J-Spec Trucks: The New Cool Trend

S2020

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@MISLcz I think everybody got by now that you prefer the Iveco due to it's lower torque, you don't have to repost basically the same sentence every single time now... :D I totally agree with @Joao Rodrigues, everybody has a different driving style, and therefore everybody might have a different truck that suits this specific player best. Since this is still no dictatorship, every single player has the free choice which trucks he/she prefers, and even though the Renault is my absolute favorite, i usually still swap trucks every now and then, as i actually like pretty much all of them.

signature.png

Visit us on stvtc.co.uk or join our Discord-channel

BoshP9w.jpg

5ekjGCj.png

Intel i7 7700k│ASUS ROG Maximus IX Hero│G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 16GB 3000MHz │EVGA GTX 1080 FTW│EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2│Samsung 970 EVO 1TB NVMe M.2/Samsung 850 EVO 500GB│Corsair H100i v2│Corsair iCUE 465x RGB

Audio Technica AD700's│Beyerdymanic DT770's 80Ω│Corsair Strafe RGB Blues│Logitech G502 Spectrum│Alienware AW3420DW

On 5/27/2015 at 10:37 AM, The Leeds Lad said:

In the UK you rarely see pimped trucks. I saw 3 tuned trucks this year. One was a Volvo, another Scania R and a Scania T. All must have had OP engines...

I see them all the time near me. There's a slaughter house down the road from me which has a beautiful looking Volvo and a Scania. I'll try to get some pictures next time they go past :)

I also so a rare tandem Volvo at Morrisons, sadly I couldn't get a picture as I was in a taxi.

I wasn't aware of "J-Spec" till reading this. Is this an ETS2 trend or a real life trend???? I'm confused.

Report a player  |  Appeal a ban  |  Forum Rules  |  In-game Rules  |  Supported MODs  |  MP Launcher Error Solutions

Search TruckersMP Support for help or submit your own support ticket if forum members cannot successfully resolve your issue(s).

"Tea, coffee, pictures are all optional but not forgetting the trailer is mandatory "

My World of Trucks account - visit to learn about my multi and single player profiles.

76561198116137604.png

• 3 weeks later...

If you're after lower torque, forget about the Allison gearbox.

It has a torque converter, effectively multiplying your torque.

I dont think they can be J-Spec because they're extremely rare on european highways, and quite expensive. Just like a 700hp+ engine.

J-Spec = cheapest of the cheapest, minimum viable truck.

I am glad some people decided to message on this thread so it appeared in my notifications. Will take a good look and attempt to create a truck following the rules you stated. I am very interested to find out how it will drive and I will post an image when I create one ;) 

2 hours ago, CYB34 said:

If you're after lower torque, forget about the Allison gearbox.

It has a torque converter, effectively multiplying your torque.

I dont think they can be J-Spec because they're extremely rare on european highways, and quite expensive. Just like a 700hp+ engine.

J-Spec = cheapest of the cheapest, minimum viable truck.

I'd say the J-spec is more like the kinds of trucks that you order in batch for your common drivers, Just the essentials to get the job done, Engine output calculated so that its economical and it runs at optimal loading all the time* Usually this kind of barebone trucks are common in big companies, smaller ones (1-10 trucks) its much more common to find stuff on the trucks, and they are designed with actual driver comfort in mind. Some companies even ask what driver would like to have in it.

I'd class J-Spec following: A realistic approach to fitting the truck with equipment you need to get job done efficiently. Those Turkish chrismas-trees-abominations full of lights and chrome is the complete opposite.

*Too much power, with little use for it generally is actually bad for fuel economy, since the engine never reaches operating temperature and has to artificially load the engine in some way, such as turning exhaust brake on or keeping retarder on to heat the engine up so that the combustion happens at optimal temperature. Reason why you dont, and shouldnt see R730s or 750 volvos pulling 48 ton semi trailers, because theres +400hp of wasted power, it'll just drink more and give you nothing back.

The Allison gearbox: Its some mythical thing across the sea from US, I never seen it in use in Europe, hardly even in the buses where a 6 automatic with an actual torque converter is common sight. ZF and Voith rule the europe, I dont know why it is even in the game, Torque converter in a truck sounds horribly inefficient anyways, Unless it has lockup clutch, which probably has. But still why would you put it in a truck.

Aaaaaanyways, Since i posted here, Why not contribute to it then aswell with a picture,

QjEZt6l.png

Attention span of 5 seconds, in best cases 15 seconds if its food. Patience of a newborn. Uncooperative in teamwork, unable to hold intelligent conversation. Four-wheeler's mistake triggers roadrage for hours.

19 hours ago, Dr_Dog said:

The Allison gearbox: Its some mythical thing across the sea from US, I never seen it in use in Europe, hardly even in the buses where a 6 automatic with an actual torque converter is common sight. ZF and Voith rule the europe, I dont know why it is even in the game, Torque converter in a truck sounds horribly inefficient anyways, Unless it has lockup clutch, which probably has. But still why would you put it in a truck.

Yeah, although I love the Allison transmission, my J-Spec trucks are not equipped with them due to the fact that in real life European OTR trucks simply don't use them. Hell, from what I have gathered 90%+ of US OTR trucks do not use them either because they have no need for them. So why would you put one in a truck you ask. My best guess is you put one in if your trucks regularly  have to deal with situations like this:

@Iron Spirit [NL] What i understood from the video, the Eaton one uses actual clutchplates, while the Allison is just a torque converter. torque converter is superior in slipping "clutch" because it doesnt wear out, since its oil that is functioning as the connector between transmission and the engine, not friction material as in real clutches. You cant really abuse or burn the torque converter as you can a clutch. Also most of european manufacturers have designed already their own automatic gearboxes. Volvo has iShift which is traditional manual gearbox with pneumatic servos doing the gearchanges, with a real clutch assemblies, Also the iShift drives it like an Eaton Fuller, double clutching and rev matching rather than syncronizing the gears with syncromeshes, helps to prolong the durability of the gears. Scania does exactly same with opticruise, Mercedes does exactly same with Powershift, no idea about the southern exotics such as Daf, Iveco etc..

The key is, that when theres million sensors and computer doing calculations, the gear changes are right on, clutch operation is smooth since the computer knows exactly how to operate it, just like a driver who has driven the same truck for years. Somehow American technology still seems..primitive, That behaviour of Eaton Ultrashift reminds me of an Mercedes MP3's dumb automatic, or 4-series Opticruise, which in turn can be compared to something like 1980s automatic of small cars as dumb, as bad.

Attention span of 5 seconds, in best cases 15 seconds if its food. Patience of a newborn. Uncooperative in teamwork, unable to hold intelligent conversation. Four-wheeler's mistake triggers roadrage for hours.

Hey,

I am preety annoyed by this post because EU Trucks are not like that. If fact, calling us like that because we don't have a low engine is a stupid idea. 

We all know Europe Autobahn and the roads in Germany. Ok, I totally agree with that but...

How about Switzerland, France, Spain, Romania, Italy?

For example, if you carry a load on the mountains, is it ok to have a low spec engine? Yea, sure if you want to die at the first turn or go backwards in another car with your trailer putting their life in danger.

About the plastic things..

The spoiler thing is meant to bend if you hit something so nothing else gets damage. In 2015, when people from the Middle-East went to Calais, they threw rocks at trucks. If we're talking about realism here, by throwing a rock at that plastic window it would dissapear like it wasn't there since the truck rolled out from the factory. 

People, try your own design that you think is cool.

@Ripsterk I dont know where the über-low engine power thing came from. normal semi trailer pullers are generally in range of 400-500hp, no less, no more. With the laughable weights of semi trailers in europe, you dont need more power because you cant load the trailer enough. Switzerland and Austria with lots of mountainous terrain is an exception really,  But for what do you need 700hp to pull half empty trailer on straight autobahn?

I guess the J-spec sort of set in place as an opposite to those puke-inducing horrible abominations full of chrome and every single slot possible filled full of lights that you see in the ETS2MP too much. and sort of retaliation that you do not need the most powerful engine either in the game, where the simulation timescale is wrong anyways. (warp 0.8, try it on singleplayer sometime, that is closer to the acceleration of a truck for example)

49 minutes ago, Dr_Dog said:

@Ripsterk I dont know where the über-low engine power thing came from. normal semi trailer pullers are generally in range of 400-500hp, no less, no more. With the laughable weights of semi trailers in europe, you dont need more power because you cant load the trailer enough. Switzerland and Austria with lots of mountainous terrain is an exception really,  But for what do you need 700hp to pull half empty trailer on straight autobahn?

I guess the J-spec sort of set in place as an opposite to those puke-inducing horrible abominations full of chrome and every single slot possible filled full of lights that you see in the ETS2MP too much. and sort of retaliation that you do not need the most powerful engine either in the game, where the simulation timescale is wrong anyways. (warp 0.8, try it on singleplayer sometime, that is closer to the acceleration of a truck for example)

It's my persoal opinion about this and I do think your idea is great. I totally agree about the autobahn but on the mountains we are talking about some serious transport, not half empty.

@Ripsterk But thats only 48 tons on a semitrailer, what European roadlaw allows as max weight for the truck and trailer in total, Going north, and you will find 76 tonners a perfectly common sight, testing being done on over 100 ton combinations currently.. Thats when most powerful engines are essential :D

Archived