Planing your actions & avoiding accidents

Message added by James,

This guide is outdated and may not contain updated, recent or correct information. Please bear this in mind if following this guide.

• 4 weeks later...

Couple things wrong here:

1. High beams are NEVER used to communicate in trucks.  Always turn lights off and back on OR on then back off.  However, due to the stringent policy on this Mod, proper use may not be allowed.
  2. "Left, Right,Left, Right" turn signals for "Thanks you"  Again. this is wrong.  Thank you is either turning off your Marker lights (which ATS does not allow) or using your fourway flashers for 5 to 10 flashes.
  3. Anytime a horn is warranted, it should be your airhorn.  Unless in a town/city that restricts it's use.
  4. Not MPs fault but, there are MANY bugs in ATS that prevent it from being realistic in any way other than you are driving a truck, pulling a trailer.

• 1 month later...

Great post.

Trucks in Sweden:

Trucks are divided into so-called light and heavy. A light truck may have a maximum weight of 3.5 tons. A heavy truck, on the other hand, may have a total weight exceeding 3.5 tons. The heavy truck allows you to drive for a maximum of 90 km/h (56 mph) on a highway or motorway. Any other road, or if it has a trailer, 80 km/h (50 mph) applies.

Not sure how this is simulated game wise though.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks for these!! I'll have to study them a bit (or just play single player a bit more to learn the "streets") since i almost went down the wrong road yesterday after getting off a ferry (my GPS was saying it was fine). I'm assuming it was a left hand driven road area & i had just come from a right hand side area (what i'm used too) & i was so embarrassed & frustrated that i just rage quit. So i went and played ATS instead :lol:. If i had a second monitor i'd keep this information on screen at all times.

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/3/2015 at 9:53 AM, FSX-Fan2014 said:

In Germany this sign only cancels restrictions for speed and overtaking. There also only signs where you have only a cancelled speed or overtaking restriction, but nothing else. And on country roads/motorways you won't find a lot of other possible restrictions :D

In the UK our version of that sign (has a solid black bar instead of the stripes) just means national speed limit applies. This varies depending on what type of road.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

i have a question about curve speed. when there is a curve speed sign on ATS do we follow it or do we use the speed limit on the bottom of the gps? because i have been following the curve speed signs but many others have been passing me when i do.  if they are speeding around curves by not following these signs should i be reporting them for unsafe driving?

curve.jpg

@leo42066,

the speed limit shown on the traffic sign is the maximum speed that is considered to be safe to pass the curve at favorable road conditions. The speed limit shown on your GPS display should correspond to the traffic signs, but I am not sure if it does.

The game rules state:

Traffic laws and road signage must be obeyed. This means European road laws and signage must be followed in ETS2 and American road laws and signage must be followed in ATS. Failure to adhere to the respective road laws and signage could result in a punishment.

Therefore , I recommend to always follow national speed limits provided by the traffic signs.

According to the game rule §2.5, you are entitled to report players for reckless driving that drive "in such a way that is considered unsafe and that puts other players in danger".

Drive safely!

• True Story 1

@leo42066 Although I agree with all that @Joao Rodrigues said in his reply, I wouldn't recommend reporting those players if they just overtook you. It's true that they can be considered to be driving recklessly, but it's also true that it's unlikely that they will be punished if they don't cause any accidents. I've reported actions like that in the past and the answers were always something like "I'd only kick the player" or even "Not a bannable offense".

• True Story 1

It's a great guide but it's unfortunate that 90% of players will not follow this because they drive like it's GTA.

7 hours ago, leo42066 said:

i have a question about curve speed. when there is a curve speed sign on ATS do we follow it or do we use the speed limit on the bottom of the gps? because i have been following the curve speed signs but many others have been passing me when i do.  if they are speeding around curves by not following these signs should i be reporting them for unsafe driving?

curve.jpg

That's just a recommendation because the gps speed limit will not change when you go past those types of speed limit signs.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, FernandoCR [ESP] said:

@leo42066 Although I agree with all that @Joao Rodrigues said in his reply, I wouldn't recommend reporting those players if they just overtook you. It's true that they can be considered to be driving recklessly, but it's also true that it's unlikely that they will be punished if they don't cause any accidents. I've reported actions like that in the past and the answers were always something like "I'd only kick the player" or even "Not a bannable offense".

these people are passing me on very sharp curves to the point that i had to slam on the breaks in order not to be hit by them then that same person never even slowed down for the stop sign at the end of the road.  the speed limit on the bottom at the gps doesn't change for the curve speed limit on ATS. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...