G27 behaves differently in multiplayer than in singleplayer

CrazySwede

Question

So as I decided to play the multiplayer mod I noticed that even despite I have excactly the same settings for my G27 steering wheel, the sensitivity feels different when I play MP than from when I play the original ETS2. It's as if my settings has been altered despite that they are excactly the same. And when I go back to play the original game it feels normal. Why would ETS2MP affect my G27 to behave so weird? Got any suggestions how I could get it to behave normaly?

6 answers to this question

I assume you have two profiles, one for SP and one for MP. If you use the MP profile in SP, do the changes than disappear?

I think the the two profiles just have slightly different settings for gameplay, keyboard binding and controllers. 

Their are two ways to rectify this situation. Let me start with the easy way as it does some groundwork for the second, but slightly more complex permanent solution.

First you need to go to the 'My Documents\Euro Truck Simulator 2\profiles\' folder. Change the view to details and click on the 'Date Modified' column to sort the list.

Now you need to start ETS2 (offline, SP mode), load SP profile and click on drive, than exit the game. One of the folders in the Profiles folder has just changed. Write down the name of this folder as this is the SP profile folder  (mine is named 4461726B547275636B6572). Now you need to start ETS2 (again in SP mode) and load your MP profile, click drive and exit the game. Again another folder has changed. This is you MP profile folder, which on my computer is 7A79707265786961.

(to make it easier to copy the name and write them down in notepad, you can just click the folder, press F2, press ctrl+c, press esc and paste the name in notepad).

We start with the simple one-time sync of the profiles. Go into youd SP profile folder and select the config.cfg, controls.sii, gearbox_range_splitter.sii, gearbox_range.sii and gearbox_splitter.sii files and copy them to your MP profile folder, overwrite any existing file. We basically copied every file, except the profile.sii file. Never ever copy the file to another profile. It contains you profile name, driver picture name, World of Trucks account and any mods that you have activated. Now you two profiles have exactly the same settings. But after a change you have to repeat this procedure again to sync the two profiles.

So this brings us to the second solution, which offers a permanent solution with the help of symlinks. Let me first try to explain what a file system is. On a file system (like NTFS on Windows) you store files as an array of bytes and you refer to them with a named path (directory + filename). That named path is stored in a Table Of Contents (TOC), in general each array of bytes have a single entry in the TOC. With SymLinks you can create more entries in the TOC to the same array of bytes. Symlinks are one of the unsung heroes of unix distributions like Linux, BSD and even OSX (Mac). In the Windows world almost no one uses them because you can't set them up with just point and click. 

So instead of keeping to manually copying files, you can simply create 5 symlinks for the SP profile to the MP profile. Both the profiles use than exactly the same files.

First you need to delete the config.cfg, control.sii and gearbox_*.sii files from the MP profile. 

Now open up a DOS prompt (Yes, you taken the red pill and now we're going into the rabbit hole). If you don't know how, press windows key + r, in the dialog type 'cmd' and then enter. Did you just had a flashback to 1994? Don't worry, nothing to be scared off, it just a prompt. 

Now we create the 5 symlinks, by using the command:

mklink "MP profile folder/config.cfg" "SP profile folder/config.cfg" (note that the quoted are required because the path contain spaces)

The 5 commands for my computer:

mklink "D:\Users\Dave\My Documents\Euro Truck Simulator 2\profiles\7A79707265786961\config.cfg" "D:\Users\Dave\My Documents\Euro Truck Simulator 2\profiles\4461726B547275636B6572/config.cfg"

mklink "D:\Users\Dave\My Documents\Euro Truck Simulator 2\profiles\7A79707265786961\controls.sii" "D:\Users\Dave\My Documents\Euro Truck Simulator 2\profiles\4461726B547275636B6572/controls.sii"

mklink "D:\Users\Dave\My Documents\Euro Truck Simulator 2\profiles\7A79707265786961\gearbox_range_splitter.sii" "D:\Users\Dave\My Documents\Euro Truck Simulator 2\profiles\4461726B547275636B6572/gearbox_range_splitter.sii"

mklink "D:\Users\Dave\My Documents\Euro Truck Simulator 2\profiles\7A79707265786961\gearbox_range.sii" "D:\Users\Dave\My Documents\Euro Truck Simulator 2\profiles\4461726B547275636B6572/gearbox_range.sii"

mklink "D:\Users\Dave\My Documents\Euro Truck Simulator 2\profiles\7A79707265786961\gearbox_splitter.sii" "D:\Users\Dave\My Documents\Euro Truck Simulator 2\profiles\4461726B547275636B6572/gearbox_splitter.sii"

You can now exit the DOS prompt. Because both profile folder now physically point to the same file on the file system, any changes to either the SP or MP profile are also made in the other folder.

• Upvote 1

510 Horses and one lucky bird at work

Simulators: Prepar3d V4, X-Plane 11, DCS 1.5 + 2.x, ETS2, ATS, Farming Simulator 17, Omsi 1 + 2

System: Intel i7-6700K @ 4700Mhz, 32GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance LPX, GTX970,  HP LP2475w monitor (1920x1200)
Devices: Logitech G27, SKRS Shifter, CH Products Throttle Quadrant, Trustmaster Hotas Joystick, TrackIR
Storage: 2 x SM961 - 250GB (raid 0), Samsung 850 pro 1TB disk, Samsung 850 EVO 2TB disk.

I actually use same profile for both. So I don't see how they would look any different.

Can you please tell us, HOW is it behaving differently? The sensitivity isn't the same? Etc.

Happy Trucking! :)

Proud member of BLACKOUT TRUCKING. Join us now !

41.png

The sensitivity isn't the same? Etc.

Excactly that.

Lets say I move my wheel a quarter (25%) of the wheels rotation axis -on singleplayer. Then the wheel in the game will move just as much.

If I how ever do the same move on multiplayer, then the wheel will move about 75% of the wheel axis in the game. Which means, the sensitivity is about 3 times higher on multiplayer than in singleplayer on the SAME settings AND same profile. So how does this make any sense? :(