Greeting other drivers

Cooper's Freightmaster

Imagine driving your car on the highway and getting scared the crap out of you by all the truckers who are horning at each other. Especially in Scandinavia, where ETS2 feels even more realistic you will find less other players greeting each other for the sake of realism, beside flashing your high beam of course which is totally fine by irl standards.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most of the time I'll simply "reply" to the greeting, in whichever way it was sent to me (lights or horn), the only times I'll ever "greet" someone so to speak is usually after spending long times on the road alone, at which point I am truly happy to see someone after miles of empty roads :P

Sometimes though when there're many players driving by honking at me, I respond to the first few but.. then I just can't be bothered for the rest, I know that's a bit... butthole'ish but, I only have so many Hello!'s in me to give D;

I don't have any real preferences over which or the other should be the standard form though, any is good for me.

Do you know this is a game?

This is a simulator, and the horn gets the same way annoying as in real life if each truck you pass by horns to you.

I´m another of those who will usually flash my lights, except for incoming convoys, I dont wanna get mad with the flashing lights button lol.

lkRjRkb.png

I only return a 'greeting' when I actually know that other person. 

Maybe you should invite the Queen of England to join the game, she's used to wave at everbody she sees..

510 Horses and one lucky bird at work

Simulators: Prepar3d V4, X-Plane 11, DCS 1.5 + 2.x, ETS2, ATS, Farming Simulator 17, Omsi 1 + 2

System: Intel i7-6700K @ 4700Mhz, 32GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance LPX, GTX970,  HP LP2475w monitor (1920x1200)
Devices: Logitech G27, SKRS Shifter, CH Products Throttle Quadrant, Trustmaster Hotas Joystick, TrackIR
Storage: 2 x SM961 - 250GB (raid 0), Samsung 850 pro 1TB disk, Samsung 850 EVO 2TB disk.

I never honk to greet someone since the horn is to warn for danger for example a truck that's pulling out on to your path.

Flashing highbeams i just do to those i know because people tend to use them alot to greet strangers which makes flashing your highbeams purpose useless ( flashing to warn other people there is danger up ahead )

So when i flash to warn... they think i am greeting and flash back.. So that's why i never say " Hello " to strangers.

So at work to greet someone here where I live and work we have 2 things that we tend to do.

1: We wave to eachother while passing each other.

2: During winter/autumn when it's dark during the nights and sometimes day we flash our left indicator once while passing each other.

I usually lay off the horn since in my eyes that's something you use to call for attention from other vehicles, for example when you want to warn somebody for oncoming danger or alert them of some unexpected move you're about to make.

That's what desire is, the need for what we can't have.

The need for what's readily available is called greed.

I flash the lights. In Game and in RL.

BUT --- only peoples i know or i want to thank (if i was overtaken to let them in), so just like in real live.

Would be Horror to Horn -everyone- on the real Roads out there :D

I flash my light's every now and then too people too say hello just too be friendly. But then you get the silly person playing chicken on the other side of the road =(

I'm Currently -offline.png

sc47WIb.png

Intel Core i5 4690k 3.9GHz Turbo│MSI Z97-Gaming5│Corsair Vengeance 32GB 1600MHz│2 x MSI GTX 980 FTW│Corsair RM 750W│Corsair H100i GTX│Corsair Graphite 780T White/Blue

76561197994576063.png

QiYeaPT.gif

I suppose the question to say hello by using your horn or light might depending on what part of the world you are from? A somewhat good example is when I lived in Germany in the late 70's. I gave the American well know hand signal meaning Ok. Unknown to me it meant something completely different and negative to the person I was signalling. I apologized and explained myself quickly. At least it ended with us laughing. My point is that we all must understand and respect differences in cultures. While not acknowledging others is certainly rude by most of the worlds standards, how we say "hello" can be different. In the US a simple honk is customary and flashing lights usually means that your lights are too bright or something else is wrong. In other countries that might not be the case.

This particular MP ability allows us to share the roads with people from around the world. The lack of means to communicate directly through the game itself means we adapt. It doesn't bother me to honk at every truck. I have that ability set to a very easy to access button. For those that don't honk or flash in return, it's their loss.

I always honk to by-passers. It might just have been my experience, but I feel that when driving in the new Scandinavia zones, people seem to be in "better spirits" and honk to each other more often. But I have noticed a significant decrease of greeting each other on the normal roads over the passed few months :( 

a lot of other games. We're always looking for friendly and open people to join us.

We like to create a friendly and familiar environment. Join us on

teamspeak: ts.emeraldimmersion.com to check it out for yourself.

I see all the cultural difference here.

In some parts of the world, drivers who use high beams to other people are considered rude and impatient.

In game I horn to everyone on road and respect all kinds of greeting except ramming.

-- One banned troll means one sad troll. Conserve banning. The trolls will appreciate it.

҉  PEOPLE'S REPUBLIC OF RECKLESS DRIVERS

SprinterFS.gif

The differnce i see here is: Some people are taking this as a "simulator" and do not honk as it normally is used to warn.... 

Then we have people which drive well, but they use their horn to be friendly and nice! "Just saying hello"! I remember the first days of ETS2MP, everybody honked, EVERYBODY! :D 

I allways both honk and flash my lights! <3

I don't know about you guys, but everytime someone toot at me I jump off my chair in terror. Long and empty roads with calm music on the radio, and out of the blue someone step on their air horn. I know they have good intentions, bit it has become a bad habit for me so I just don't do it. Sometimes I wink my headlight if the oncoming does.

76561198004601492.png

Archived