Microsoft's Windows 10 preview

Empirekicking

Question

If you've been looking forward to Windows 9, the OS that will fix what Windows 8 got wrong, you're in for a surprise: There will be no Windows 9. Instead, Microsoft announced it will proceed directly to Windows 10. Thanks to many leaks leading up to Microsoft's reveal about its next version of Windows, there wasn't a whole lot that those of us who've been paying attention didn't know. But Microsoft execs did provide a few updates about the operating system known as Windows Threshold. 

The full-screen Start menu is gone (sort of). The touch-focused interface has given way to that familiar, utilitarian keyboard-and-mouse-driven experience we've known from time immemorial. Those newfangled "Modern" apps aren't even full-screen anymore, unless you want them to be. Windows 10 is shaping up to be a retread of all the things we've known for years, a mea culpa that aims to welcome those who fled in terror at the sea change that was Windows 8. But it's also far more than that, and this sneak peek offers us a look at a Microsoft OS that will play well with all of our devices.

1412123509452.jpg

More Information http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2014/09/30/announcing-windows-10/

Download the Preview today

lcuoUWl.gif.2ae879e10f4e499e935acbd4db146289.gif

If I helped you out in anyway can u please click this up button arrow . Thank You!!!

I do love the idea of the metro start bar, some metro features like the big netflix button I have will be easier to access through the start bar.

Oh and I've got a joke for you.

Why did Microsoft go straight to Windows 10? Because 7 8 9..

I have no idea of why, the tech preview has been out for an month now. should download it

If I helped you out in anyway can u please click this up button arrow . Thank You!!!

I had it as my main OS for few weeks. Loved it and it was surprisingly stable. Performance was very good compared to older Windows (7, 8.1). There were few things that annoyed me, for example it made me made mad that windows+E no longer opens My Computer/This PC but some stupid Home window which frankly sucks.

@StuartD I'd say on scale 1-10 it's 8.

It's worth trying out, I wouldn't put it on my main machine as a daily driver.

I hope they will allow us to remove the search button on the task bar and let us move desktops around between monitors similar to how OS X does it.

Edit: took ages to upgrade to the latest preview, but the good news, you can choose which of the task view button and search button you want to have on your task bar, unfortunatley no option to organize/move your task views though yet :(

in case you all didnt know, windows 10 preview has spyware on board.. including keylogger! Microsoft says you should not use the preview for productive everyday use and confirmed that thay have it full of own spyware!

i would stay windows 7 for new.. just a tipp so your bank data and passwords dont get to anyone else but you ;)

lets hope the final version has any spying removed else windows 10 will bit a bit flob i guess. oh well there is linux for banking and safe surfing. ;)

sysp-73354.png

Plausable(and at least imo the most likely): Many applications *still* check the Windows version string (Windows XP, Windows 2000, Windows Vista, etc.) to check what version of windows it is, so by having Windows 9 you would run into issues where applications would randomly start behaving differently because the developer matched on "Windows 9" or similar to detect Windows 95 and 98.

That said Windows 6 would be Vista, Windows 5 would be XP, etc. (read NT versions of windows, hence why it don't align with 98/95/3.x)

Windows 10 being free to people who bought 8/8.1: probably incorrect, this was a *suggestion* on the feedback page, other than this afaik it's not been posted on any microsoft page or *confirmed* by any Microsoft employees.

I have Windows 10 on a virtual machine. Hardly use it. Just use it to test programs and stress tests! XD Steam, Google Chrome, and lots of others work like normal. Haven't tried ETS2 yet...

Ets2 will just work i know cause i did test preview version to, but i didnt like it much after few days testing back to win 8.1

Currently writing this from my Windows 10 VM.  Have to say, it's almost exactly like windows 8/8.1.   Except better.  Far, far better.  The annoying Charms bar lurking in the corner?  Locked away forever (unless you, for some demonically possessed reason, decide to summon it using windows+C).  The "Metro" UI is also locked away in a frozen tomb.  For anyone using a standard mouse+keyboard setup, sans touchscreen, the metro UI won't show up at all.  I believe you have to actually change some settings to use it.  And that's great.  The new start menu is quite nice and works just like the old 7-styled one, but it has a bit more functionality.  I find the position of the restart/shutdown button to be decent.  I didn't have to look for more than a couple seconds to find it.

Start menu (ignore the colour, I chose a preset and didn't change it):

abf45e5c15.png

Besides those things, though, everything is about the same.  The only other big difference I can find is that apps from the Store fully reside on your desktop and not the foolish Metro display.  There's no multiple personality disorder there now.  Although I haven't been using Win10 for a long time, I haven't once had to look at Metro.  Not even changing PC settings requires viewing Metro (it's all handled on the desktop now).

For anyone who avoided windows 8/8.1 due to a terrible fear of Metro, it should be safe to try 10.

Keep in mind, however, that we're many months away from the real release and the whole point of this preview is to recommend changes and see how windows 10 transforms.  The things I mention now may not be the same in a few months or even a few days.

^ @Warrior, What didn't you like about it? Any specifics?

I do as it was in preview not all games/drivers/software where not supported sometimes it crashed

I did like the layout looks very promising and metro and start menu

Maybe when stable version is out and my drivers/software/games (old games) can run it

Yeah maybe then i will have it

So took decision to reinstall win 8 cause you cant downgrade back you need full reinstal lose everything

But i made backup so all is good :)