Trojan in ets2mp.client ???

=CB= Dan Hagman

Dear lads'n lasses,

what happened is ...

downloaded ets2mp.client, unzipped and installed it...

when I hit the launcher a warning frae Norton flashed up  

SONAR.heuristic.130 in launcher.exe detected, Isolate threat immediately 

when I looked it up in Norton's database it said there that it's an trojan which needs tae be contained... 

anyhow I'd like tae get somebody here tae explain tae me what the **** happened !!!!

I'd uninstalled the above mentioned ets2mp.client immediately and I will not install it until I'm gettin an satisfactorial explanation or the Trojan will be removed frae the download-file.

Dan

As Prime said, it's a false positive.

No anti-virus software is perfect. Sometimes viruses get detected as clean. Sometimes clean files get detected as viruses. Most anti-virus software developers have a way of reporting wrong detections. See if Norton's quarantine has a button to submit the file to Symantec. If you provide them with your e-mail they should contact you letting you know if the file was a virus or not and if they've patched any false detection.

Mod.version: 0.1.1 r2

Controllers used: keyboard and mouse

Description of Issue: SONAR Heuristic.130 found in launcher.exe

How to reproduce: suggest download it and see for yersel

Screenshot/Videos: None available

First things first, thank ye for posting/responding on this thread...

secondly..

@ prime...  I downloaded the official version frae the proper portal, right on this very site

@ Nathan... That's what I had in mind myself...

@ Truckdriver... Thanks for bringing tae me attention the mode how tae post, thank ye very kindly as it's me first post here... but just simply stating there isnae a virus in it, disnae help at all, tell me then why it was detected in the first place?

@ Drift_91...  What makes ye so sure that it is indeed a false positive? According tae several websites - other than Norton's-  I looked up, the mentioned SONAR Heuristic.130 seems tae be an backdoor-programme and it's embedded in the launcher itself, I went tae some length tae make sure where it is..

In addition tae the information I provided here before, it came tae me mind that when I was tryin tae download the ets2mp.client the website went offline and I had tae give it about three tries before I was able tae download it, still I'd like tae get some more info, preferably frae someone connected tae the developers if there is a problem with that file or not...

Thanks, Dan

Hi,

The development of an application can be very difficult to be accepted by anti virus.

This is because it could not be verified by an certificate and there for its flagged as a virus.

Please check this site:

https://www.virustotal.com/nl/file/377d6601a0a9a2d6d0eefcaf125b8642bc26afad71bda96363c93ce5d52ef6d0/analysis/1417870659/

Its a scanner that uses the most virus scanners known.

Most of it is green but 4 of them are red and all different outcomes.

Lastly I do not think that the developers want to hack/monitor your pc.

Maybe the game crash reports and connection establisments but that seems fine to me.

Because they then can develop this multiplayer mod further.

Greetings,

Freeman015

|-----------------------Did that work for you?----------------------|

|--Then please give me a like and tell us that it worked--|

|---------------------------------- :D----------------------------------|

SONAR.heuristic.130 Means plain and simple that it was caught by Norton's Heuristic detection(behaviour analysis), the reason norton triggers on this in the mod is that the mod does something that is relatively common in trojans, viruses and worms; it hooks into other processes and modifies it's memory to make it do something it wasn't intended for it to do.

considering there's more than 3500 people who got this mod on and that at the time of writing, only 4 AVs triggers(most on heuristics, probably all), it's with a high degree of likelyhood that it's safe, also, it's not a bug of the mod that your AV detects it as a virus.

• 4 weeks later...