Introducing not counted short bans for web-reports which deserved a kick but were not treated in-game by GMs.

Hi all,

Suggestion Name: Having not counted short bans for web-reports which deserved a kick but were not treated in-game by GMs.

Suggestion Description: 

I don't know if it is due to an increase of offenses or less time for GMs (or both), but I personally very rarely get my in-game reports treated before they timeout. At least 90% of them are timing out. This is even worse on Promods server where it is clear (and normal) that you have less Game Moderators around.

So when your in-game report is timing out you end up with 2 options:

• just accept that this player will continue playing without any punishment for his/her offense(s)
  • post a web-report to get him/her punished later

The problem with the second option is that for small offenses which deserve only a kick (i.e. people jumping the queue without crashing into anyone or someone blocking the road for a few minutes, etc...), your web-report will possibly end-up being declined by the GM because it would "only deserve a kick".

So you end-up with a player making an offense and not being punished at all for it. And if this player plays on Promods and continue with these offenses, he/she is very likely to not be punished (or very rarely) because it would "only deserve a kick" in-game but 90+% of the time no-one would treat the web-reports.

To solve/help with this specific scenario/problem I suggest we introduce 1 or 2 days bans which wouldn't be counted towards the number of total bans.

Why it should be added: 

That way:

• A web-report will not be declined even if there was a clear offense deserving a small punishment
  • A punishment will be given to educate the player
  • It won't be too hard as it's just a couple of hours ban and the ban doesn't have any impact on the future ones (the future ban won't be longer due to this small ban in the player's history)

Any enhancements to the above are welcome.

• Upvote 1

Hi @Foobrother,

thanks for pointing out the flaw of the in-game report system and your idea to improve it!

Possible tweak to your suggestion:

Rule violations, which, according to the moderator, only deserve a kick instead of a ban, should add 1 point to a player's point account.

Points will be reduced again over a certain period of time (for example, 1 week per point), provided that no further offenses are committed during this period.

If a player reaches a certain number of points on his account, he will be banned for a certain period of time.

The player's point account can only be accessed by and is only visible to moderation and the owner.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

23 hours ago, blabberbeak said:

Hi @Foobrother,

thanks for pointing out the flaw of the in-game report system and your idea to improve it!

Possible tweak to your suggestion:

Rule violations, which, according to the moderator, only deserve a kick instead of a ban, should add 1 point to a player's point account.

Points will be reduced again over a certain period of time (for example, 1 week per point), provided that no further offenses are committed during this period.

If a player reaches a certain number of points on his account, he will be banned for a certain period of time.

The player's point account can only be accessed by and is only visible to moderation and the owner.

Yes good idea.

If I would synthetize your idea it would be: x amount of small offenses (which only deserve a kick), maybe 5 within 2 weeks, would equal a ban (like one for a standard collision) which would be counted and which duration would depend on the active bans history.

Obviously that would involve probably a bit more work/enhancement than my idea. But it would be nicer/more fair

• Like 1

Lesson 1. Don't worry about the in game reporting system, as it never works. Instead, file a web report and let staff handle it.

Since the decision is up to staff, only report actual offenses. Not stuff like safe passes or waiting at a red until it changes. They already see enough garbage, that it decreases your reports limit.

• 3 months later...
On 6/5/2023 at 12:38 PM, Foobrother said:

Hi all,

Suggestion Name: Having not counted short bans for web-reports which deserved a kick but were not treated in-game by GMs.

Suggestion Description: 

I don't know if it is due to an increase of offenses or less time for GMs (or both), but I personally very rarely get my in-game reports treated before they timeout. At least 90% of them are timing out. This is even worse on Promods server where it is clear (and normal) that you have less Game Moderators around.

So when your in-game report is timing out you end up with 2 options:

• just accept that this player will continue playing without any punishment for his/her offense(s)
  • post a web-report to get him/her punished later

The problem with the second option is that for small offenses which deserve only a kick (i.e. people jumping the queue without crashing into anyone or someone blocking the road for a few minutes, etc...), your web-report will possibly end-up being declined by the GM because it would "only deserve a kick".

So you end-up with a player making an offense and not being punished at all for it. And if this player plays on Promods and continue with these offenses, he/she is very likely to not be punished (or very rarely) because it would "only deserve a kick" in-game but 90+% of the time no-one would treat the web-reports.

To solve/help with this specific scenario/problem I suggest we introduce 1 or 2 days bans which wouldn't be counted towards the number of total bans.

Why it should be added: 

That way:

• A web-report will not be declined even if there was a clear offense deserving a small punishment
  • A punishment will be given to educate the player
  • It won't be too hard as it's just a couple of hours ban and the ban doesn't have any impact on the future ones (the future ban won't be longer due to this small ban in the player's history)

Any enhancements to the above are welcome.

Hi Foobrother,

Thanks for taking the time to reach out to suggest this. Speaking from turth experience, there has always been a massive difference between the kickable offences in-game and the web report system as we can't really offer a kick from the web report system however. I do agree with you that there is more we can do to even out the punishment standards between the game and the webreport system. From an internal prespective, we are at a stage where we will be heavily pushing towards better activity within the game envrionment to deal with more in-game violations so they don't need to reach the web report system. The topic that you raised is a constant battle between the team, in terms of finding the correct balance. Currently, to give you some insider information on what goes on behind closed doors is soemtimes when a user does something that is perhaps not bannable, but would be kickable, there is something in place, but I do agree that this system can be worked on. We're constantly trying to even the playing field but it's difficult to find the happy medium. I'm going to accept your suggestion as it's a constant work in progress.

Kind Regards,

Fezz98
TruckersMP Game Moderation Manager

• Thanks 1