Translator for in game chat into your language

image.png

I got nothing against the Non-English community. But, i can't understand a word they say. By adding a translator, it would convert whatever they say into the language you understand. Perhaps boosting community interactions. Instead of, not even trying to take a guess at what they are saying. Nobody is going to learn every supported language.

• Upvote 2
  • True Story 1

Hello Thank you for touching on a good subject, first of all, the process you suggest is a good idea, but I see that your work is a different window outside the game, I do not think it will be possible to add it to the game because it will be troublesome to add it to the game, I wish you a good day and good games.

3 hours ago, Sinyordess. said:

Hello Thank you for touching on a good subject, first of all, the process you suggest is a good idea, but I see that your work is a different window outside the game, I do not think it will be possible to add it to the game because it will be troublesome to add it to the game, I wish you a good day and good games.

What is being shown in the image above is the chat log which can be found in your Documents/ETS2MP/logs directory, chat_{DATE}_log.txt file with the current date inserted where {DATE} is. I think what they are suggesting is adding a translator to the in-game text chat would be a good idea and I agree. I think it should be optional however, with a setting to enable/disable and to be able to switch translated language etc.

3 hours ago, PzKpfw Bing Chilling said:

What is being shown in the image above is the chat log which can be found in your Documents/ETS2MP/logs directory, chat_{DATE}_log.txt file with the current date inserted where {DATE} is. I think what they are suggesting is adding a translator to the in-game text chat would be a good idea and I agree. I think it should be optional however, with a setting to enable/disable and to be able to switch translated language etc.

This. Yea, it's the chat log. I can't stop in the middle of the road to screenshot chat XD. It's also my only log with a ton of chat history (you'll be surprised how empty it is when you venture to another corner of the map.

For this, i'll be using one phrase and translating it

• English: i love trucks
  • Dutch: Ik hou van vrachtwagens
  • Japanese: トラックが大好きです
  • Russian: Я люблю грузовики
  • Maori: Aroha ana ahau ki nga Taraka
  • Turkish: Kamyonları seviyorum
  • Finnish: Rakastan kuorma-autoja
  • Spanish: amo los camiones

You get the point.

The setting would be to select your known languages. Then, which one you want it to show as. And a hover preview saying "If you can read this, select this" (in the respective language).

• Upvote 1

Thank you for sending out this forum for our discussion

I don't think this suggestion is very good. Perhaps it will increase the workload of the creator and find a large number of translators to provide this translation function.

This is just my personal opinion

16 hours ago, PzKpfw Bing Chilling said:

Google Translate бесплатен для использования людьми, но для компании или другого юридического лица массовое использование его - нет. Google предоставляет информацию, вы можете просто найти "google translate 

In this case, it is better to use a translator from Yandex. It translates much better and the price is much lower than Google's.

2 hours ago, djoh said:

highly doubt TMP is going to use a russian service 😆 (im not trying to bring politics into this ok)

There is no difference in which country the service was invented. If it works better, then why not use it. I suggest as an option, the developers will have the final decision.

22 hours ago, Somehow Lucky said:

Look at Google Translate. It can let you translate from any language into any language. And, you don't have to pay for it.

Yes it is, but it's free for personal use only. TruckersMP isn't personal use. If you want to pay a monthly fee like patreons, I think it's not a problem to use the translation API to translate the chat. But the vast majority of players are not interested in paying for this extra fee every month

3 hours ago, -=nemo=- [EST] said:

Yes it is, but it's free for personal use only. TruckersMP isn't personal use. If you want to pay a monthly fee like patreons, I think it's not a problem to use the translation API to translate the chat. But the vast majority of players are not interested in paying for this extra fee every month

We aren't being forced to be Patron's or obtain some subscription pass. They can easily implement this over time and it would benefit the community in the long term.

48 minutes ago, Somehow Lucky said:

Нас не заставляют быть Патронами или получать какой-то абонементный талон. Они могут легко реализовать это со временем, и это принесет пользу сообществу в долгосрочной

I agree that this can be beneficial in the long run. The introduction of this feature will potentially increase the number of new players, plus as far as I know there is no game with which function yet, and this will allow the project to get advertising from the media.

6 hours ago, Yarkoon said:

I agree that this can be beneficial in the long run. The introduction of this feature will potentially increase the number of new players, plus as far as I know there is no game with which function yet, and this will allow the project to get advertising from the media.

Prime example here. My message was quoted in Russian? And yea, market dominance.

8 hours ago, Somehow Lucky said:

We aren't being forced to be Patron's or obtain some subscription pass. They can easily implement this over time and it would benefit the community in the long term.

I don't know how much research you've actually done yourself or you're just guessing, but check out the translation API.
I will give one example of the google API

You are charged for the amount of text that Cloud Translation processes, such as the text that you include in a detect language or translate text request. Note that if you don't specify a source language for the translate method, Cloud Translation detects the source language for you. You are only charged for the text that you provided; there's no additional charge for the detection in addition to the translation. For example, if you submit 1,000 characters for translation without specifying the source language, you are only charged for the 1,000 characters.

Prices are pro rata (proportional and incremental). Charges are scaled to the number of characters provided to Cloud Translation. For example, if you send 575,000 characters for processing within a month, you are charged $1.50. The first 500,000 characters are free while the next 75,000 characters are charged at the $20 per million characters rate.

Cloud Translation counts usage on a per character basis, even if a character is multiple bytes. Each character corresponds to a code point.
You are charged for all characters that you include in a Cloud Translation request, even untranslated characters. This includes, for example, whitespace characters. If you translate <p>こんにちは</p> to English, it counts as 12 characters for the purposes of billing.
Cloud Translation also charges for empty queries. If you make a request without any content, Cloud Translation charges one character for the request.

Now ask the developers how big is the chat volume every month on a whole fleet of servers and then come and say that money is not needed for this
If you want a translation, then you have to lighten your wallet
There is no such thing as a free lunch - an old Estonian saying

13 hours ago, -=nemo=- [EST] said:

I don't know how much research you've actually done yourself or you're just guessing, but check out the translation API.
I will give one example of the google API

You are charged for the amount of text that Cloud Translation processes, such as the text that you include in a detect language or translate text request. Note that if you don't specify a source language for the translate method, Cloud Translation detects the source language for you. You are only charged for the text that you provided; there's no additional charge for the detection in addition to the translation. For example, if you submit 1,000 characters for translation without specifying the source language, you are only charged for the 1,000 characters.

Prices are pro rata (proportional and incremental). Charges are scaled to the number of characters provided to Cloud Translation. For example, if you send 575,000 characters for processing within a month, you are charged $1.50. The first 500,000 characters are free while the next 75,000 characters are charged at the $20 per million characters rate.

Cloud Translation counts usage on a per character basis, even if a character is multiple bytes. Each character corresponds to a code point.
You are charged for all characters that you include in a Cloud Translation request, even untranslated characters. This includes, for example, whitespace characters. If you translate <p>こんにちは</p> to English, it counts as 12 characters for the purposes of billing.
Cloud Translation also charges for empty queries. If you make a request without any content, Cloud Translation charges one character for the request.

Now ask the developers how big is the chat volume every month on a whole fleet of servers and then come and say that money is not needed for this
If you want a translation, then you have to lighten your wallet
There is no such thing as a free lunch - an old Estonian saying

1: What's your source?

2: The developers aren't going to share that data.

3: Money is not needed when you can literally search "[Language A] to [Language B]" translations. They do this and it's free 99.

• Haha 1

• 3 months later...