Experiencing kernel error or random crashes on TruckersMP Island? ×

What do you think of the "My AI" bot on Snapchat ?

User backlash

In the days since its formal launch, Snapchat users have been vocal about their concerns. One user called his interaction “terrifying” after he said it lied about not knowing where the user was located. After the user lightened the conversation, he said the chatbot accurately revealed he lived in Colorado.

In another TikTok video with more than 1.5 million views, a user named Ariel recorded a song with an intro, chorus and piano chords written by My AI about what it’s like to be a chatbot. When she sent the recorded song back, she said the chatbot denied its involvement with the reply: “I’m sorry, but as an AI language model, I don’t write songs.” Ariel called the exchange “creepy.”

Other users shared concerns about how the tool understands, interacts with and collects information from photos. “I snapped a picture … and it said ‘nice shoes’ and asked who the people [were] in the photo,” a Snapchat user wrote on Facebook.

Snapchat told CNN it continues to improve My AI based on community feedback and is working to establish more guardrails to keep its users safe. The company also said that similar to its other tools, users don’t have to interact with My AI if they don’t want to.

It’s not possible to remove My AI from chat feeds, however, unless a user subscribes to its monthly premium service, Snapchat+. Some teens say they have opted to pay the $3.99 Snapchat+ fee to turn off the tool before promptly canceling the service.

But not all users dislike the feature.

One user wrote on Facebook that she’s been asking My AI for homework help. “It gets all of the questions right.” Another noted she’s leaned on it for comfort and advice. “I love my little pocket, bestie!” she wrote. “You can change the Bitmoji [avatar] for it and surprisingly it offers really great advice to some real life situations. … I love the support it gives.”

But honestly I don't like it. 

1 hour ago, MGR1157 said:

In the days since its formal launch, Snapchat users have been vocal about their concerns. One user called his interaction “terrifying” after he said it lied about not knowing where the user was located. After the user lightened the conversation, he said the chatbot accurately revealed he lived in Colorado.

The chatbot is essentially dumber than a human. To my understanding, Snapchat gives the bot access to your location when you ask it a question and your location is required to give an accurate answer.

If you ask "can you see my location", the bot can currently not see your location so it replies no. If you then ask what the nearest gas station is, Snapchat will give the bot access to your location. This is defined in the terms of service that everyone agreed to before they can use it. 

The bot technically did not lie, it's just like being asked "can you see me" when your eyes are closed. At that moment, you could not see the other person. If you open your eyes, you can then see that person. The bot answered the question literally, a better response should be given but I wouldn't fault the AI for that. 

1 hour ago, MGR1157 said:

Other users shared concerns about how the tool understands, interacts with and collects information from photos. “I snapped a picture … and it said ‘nice shoes’ and asked who the people [were] in the photo,” a Snapchat user wrote on Facebook

To my knowledge, the Snapchat AI is just supposed to act like a virtual friend, it is just making conversation. I believe the Snapchat AI only stores the last 8 messages so it can reference it later in the conversation. I haven't fully read the Terms of Service, but how information is stored will be highlighted there. 

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Heya!

Since your topic has been inactive for over fourteen (14) days, I will lock and move it to our Archive section. 
We apply these procedures in order to keep the forum organized and structured. 

If you have any questions, feel free to DM me. 

//Locked & Moved to Archive

Kind Regards

Nody,

TruckersMP Forum Moderator.