Project Update: Back to Basics

Jeroen

3 minutes ago, Foobrother said:

Looks like we didn't have to wait that long. But to be honest as long as we have 2 servers and they rename the second one to "racing" or "arcade", I don't mind it. As explained previous I'm just worried this will attract more players with a racing profile (rather than pure simulation) who will regularly switch to other servers and continue to race on the other servers (causing problems). Also not happy to have Promods speed limit set to 150Km/h

Why are you worried? You don't have to play to the Simulation 2 server and players that like to speed a bit more can always play on Sim 2. And as far as i'm concerned i've always advocated for no speed limit rather than 150 km/h ever since 2018 and the initial speed limit.

Furthermore, what i find hilarious, is that you made all this fuss even though the main server is exactly the same. Your server kept its settings & popularity, but you still found reasons to complain and some even went as far as deleting the game when nothing basically changed. I can't even begin to imagine how would you react if you were entirely denied a server with your settings of preference like it happened to us in 2018-2019. You talk about reckless driving, respecting rules etc when you and anyone who complained in this thread are the very definition of toxic fanbase.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Random_Truck_Driver said:

Why are you worried? You don't have to play to the Simulation 2 server and players that like to speed a bit more can always play on Sim 2. And as far as i'm concerned i've always advocated for no speed limit rather than 150 km/h ever since 2018 and the initial speed limit.

Furthermore, what i find hilarious, is that you made all this fuss even though the main server is exactly the same. Your server kept its settings & popularity, but you still found reasons to complain and some even went as far as deleting the game when nothing basically changed. I can't even begin to imagine how would you react if you were entirely denied a server with your settings of preference like it happened to us in 2018-2019. You talk about reckless driving, respecting rules etc when you and anyone who complained in this thread are the very definition of toxic fanbase.

I too am waiting for an answer to this question, think that months ago it is one of the first things I had asked when they started complaining nonsense, I had asked them what would change to you with these changes, and I never got an answer, I hope you are luckier this time 😂

Like you said, they complain like if SIM1 was gone 😂

Just think, that now their job is to look for any reason with the excuse of not understanding in order to keep complaining, and i am convinced that even they know that they would have no reason to complain since the changes don't touch them at all, but they can't admit it because if not they would have to stop complaining; it's not that they don't understand, it's that they don't want to understand 😂

It is generally true that complaining makes people feel better and gives them the attention they want, these posts are proof of that 😂

• Like 2

spacer.png _raffaele_ spacer.png

8 hours ago, Random_Truck_Driver said:

If read well my posts you would have understood that I'm worried that TMP is becoming more and a racing place rather than a simulation place. This update is going towards that direction. And this will automatically attract and produce racing profiles who will play not only on Sim2 but Sim1 and Promods.

But you're right, on paper if people who like speed stay on Sim2 I would be 100% happy. Turns out they actually remain on Sim1. Yet the message has been officially given: speeding is ok in TMP

Now that we have Sim2, let's make Sim1 a hardcore simulation server with 90Km/h limit and harder bans for people doing offenses there. You should be ok with that, since you have Sim2?

• Upvote 1
  • True Story 3

8 hours ago, Random_Truck_Driver said:

Furthermore, what i find hilarious, is that you made all this fuss even though the main server is exactly the same. Your server kept its settings & popularity, but you still found reasons to complain and some even went as far as deleting the game when nothing basically changed.

For me - and much of our company - the main server is Promods, and unfortunately it hasn't stayed the same.

• True Story 1

1 hour ago, Foobrother said:

If read well my posts you would have understood that I'm worried that TMP is becoming more and a racing place rather than a simulation place. This update is going towards that direction. And this will automatically attract and produce racing profiles who will play not only on Sim2 but Sim1 and Promods.

But you're right, on paper if people who like speed stay on Sim2 I would be 100% happy. Turns out they actually remain on Sim1. Yet the message has been officially given: speeding is ok in TMP

Now that we have Sim2, let's make Sim1 a hardcore simulation server with 90Km/h limit and harder bans for people doing offenses there. You should be ok with that, since you have Sim2?

I read your messages, i just disagree. Most people were already driving at 110 km/h on Simulation 1. At least now, newcomers that don't like the speed limit have the chance to play on Sim 2 instead of leaving the game like they could have done with RTS. As far as i'm concerned they just need to make the server settings more obvious. As i joined the game yesterday after a month or so i usually click through the initial UIs very fast so  it wasn't very obvious to me that Sim 2 had changed. I only found out after joining the website.

And i do agree that Sim 1 needs to go into a more hardcore simulation server. I played on Simulation 2 yesterday, C-D road has enough players to be enjoyable so i don't really care what happens to Sim 1.

38 minutes ago, Random_Truck_Driver said:

Most people were already driving at 110 km/h on Simulation 1.

And most people voted to 150+km/h. Which means most people currently on Sim1 are people who like to drive fast.

40 minutes ago, Random_Truck_Driver said:

At least now, newcomers that don't like the speed limit have the chance to play on Sim 2 instead of leaving the game like they could have done with RTS. As far as i'm concerned they just need to make the server settings more obvious. As i joined the game yesterday after a month or so i usually click through the initial UIs very fast so  it wasn't very obvious to me that Sim 2 had changed. I only found out after joining the website.

And i do agree that Sim 1 needs to go into a more hardcore simulation server. I played on Simulation 2 yesterday, C-D road has enough players to be enjoyable so i don't really care what happens to Sim 1

I agree. It should probably be more obvious. But if I was an existing player and when I come back I see a second sim server available, I would straightaway check it to see what's new on this server or check the news/blog to understand what's happening.

As discussed earlier I think in the end, even if they like to drive fast, people are looking for traffic jams and lots of interactions with other players. And that's why they remain on Sim1 even if the limit is still at 110km/h there.

9 hours ago, Foobrother said:

Bruh, it's not ok at all, they did it in the past and they all run away from that server with 90 speed limit, great idea; is also a better idea if you look at the results of those who want to go 90 or less; i'm sure you are less than those that play on arcade (and it's dead) 😂, amazing idea; you either adapt or the convoy mode it's enough for you, no need an entire TMP server for that considering the numbers,

No need to kill a server for something that you can do on your own, it's just destructive and it doesn't make sense,

9 hours ago, Foobrother said:

For years with RTS they followed the direction of "more simulation" (this is what you wanted!!!!!), results? nothing changed in the reports ratio before and after that, so it was useless for your aim of "more simulation"; no matter if the speed limit was 110 or 150, the ratio remained the same, you simply cannot have control over how players play,

With what logic to go down that road again if we already know what the story and results are? Just to do the same mistake again?

• Like 1

As discussed earlier I think in the end, even if they like to drive fast, people are looking for traffic jams and lots of interactions with other players. And that's why they remain on Sim1 even if the limit is still at 110km/h there.

I found it weird that so many people voted for the speed limit, then the Server didn't become the popular one. In 2016, when the exact same thing happened, EU 2 server (with no speed limit) became the popular one. So either the survey was skewed or there was poor communication for the server changes and people didn't pay attention.

• Upvote 2
  • True Story 1

The changes were announced, AFAIK, the same as the surveys: Website, Forums, Discord, even in the Launcher itself. Not sure about other platforms (Facebook, Instagram, etc.) because I don't use these.

The official explanation is this:

On 4/9/2023 at 11:04 AM, Jeronimο said:

The known phenomenon of joining the server with most players, as it is interaction with other players that many users are ultimately after. 

• Upvote 1

• Business Analyst
On 4/11/2023 at 4:45 PM, Foobrother said:

I assume (and hope) we will agree on these 2 statements:

1. If you don't change ANY parameter but the speed limit, and some people drive faster, you will automatically see more crash/collisions, reckless driving and offenses in general. Because the faster you go the harder it is to control your truck in any situation. Adding this quote:

US Department Of Transportation: https://safety.fhwa.dot.gov/speedmgt/ref_mats/fhwasa1304/Resources3/08 - The Relation Between Speed and Crashes.pdf

2. The more offenses, the more reports people will send. I'm not saying it's a linear progression but it's a progression.

I'm not a statistician but the above statements look pretty logic and probable (like in real life).

Now these are when you don't change ANY parameter but the speed. The problem is that you're not providing any explanation. Just p and r-squared which don't show how you ended up to these values. But you mention that the playtime has a bigger impact. Obviously if we consider that the average playtime of 1 single player isn't changing much, the number of players playing will have a great impact. Guess what, over the last 2 years the number of players decreased! That might be why you find that the number of reports isn't impacted by the rules changes? Less players = less playtime = less (or stagnation if the number of offenses per player increased) of reports.

But surprisingly you're saying that's not the case according to the data and what you're seeing.

BTW do we have a graph somewhere showing the number of reports over time?

Sound like reasonable hypotheses indeed, it may increase the likelihood of accidents happening and thus could increase the number of reports.

What I tried to exemplify with my message is not to talk about likelihoods or chances of something happening, instead I tried to test the hypothesis that not having the Road to Simulation policy lead to more reports with two simple metrics: having Road to Simulation (yes or no) and the number of web reports (integer). I also added playtime as a control variable (numeric) as I already knew playtime and the number of web reports are traditionally highly correlated. The data range included the variables per day for roughly the last 4.5 years. No relation between the type of policy and number of web reports could be found through logistic regression, though a strong relation could be found between playtime and the number of reports through linear regression.

To my knowledge we have not published the number of reports over time, with the exception of this blog that I wrote last year about a few insights from 2020-2021: https://truckersmp.com/blog/264

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

15 hours ago, Jeronimο said:

Sound like reasonable hypotheses indeed, it may increase the likelihood of accidents happening and thus could increase the number of reports.

What I tried to exemplify with my message is not to talk about likelihoods or chances of something happening, instead I tried to test the hypothesis that not having the Road to Simulation policy lead to more reports with two simple metrics: having Road to Simulation (yes or no) and the number of web reports (integer). I also added playtime as a control variable (numeric) as I already knew playtime and the number of web reports are traditionally highly correlated. The data range included the variables per day for roughly the last 4.5 years. No relation between the type of policy and number of web reports could be found through logistic regression, though a strong relation could be found between playtime and the number of reports through linear regression.

To my knowledge we have not published the number of reports over time, with the exception of this blog that I wrote last year about a few insights from 2020-2021: https://truckersmp.com/blog/264

I think it's not really accurate to compare pre 2020 with 2021-2023 phenomenon. Because the population of players/profiles have changed (would be great to see some stats on players age over time). Unfortunately I wasn't part of TMP before 2021. But from what I can read, it was much more simulation oriented with much more simulation players who progressively moved away to be replaced by different profiles (hence the survey results we have now).

You won't convince me that having an increased driving speed doesn't increase the number of collisions/crash/incidents. That's just pure mechanics/physics (in reality or virtually). You can put a donkey or an F1 driver behind the steering wheel or keyboard, if you increase the driving speed they will have more incidents. And I'm still looking for a logical reason why people wouldn't report more if there are more offenses. But you don't (and can't) have data on the total number of collisions/crash (reported + not reported). Would be amazing if we could collect the total damage generated per month on the servers overtime 🙂

Thanks for the link to the reports blog post. I actually saw it in the past but completely forgot about it (shame on me!). I can see it says in 2021 you had a huge (maybe record?) number of reports.

In 2021, our team received 287K web and 1.1 million (!) game reports. We are talking about 1.4 million reports in total, in just one year.

Since the post was done in JAN 2022 I assume this number is for the entire year? Because the graph is only showing the first 6 months of 2021 for some reason? 🙄

spacer.png

Players between JAN 2020 and JAN 2022

spacer.png

As you can see above the playtime is pretty much correlated to the number of players (which is logic and what you already mentioned). Same for the reports.

But from JUN-2021 the number of players went down drastically. Turns out ETS2 released Convoy just at this time. We can safely say that many players went less on TMP to play on ETS2 Convoy. But for some reason:

• even if the second half of 2021 had more than 50% less players we still have a record number of reports for this year? As you can see above, the number of players on average was pretty much equivalent to 2020.
  • we don't show the number of reports during the second half of 2021?

To me if seems that we are here at an important switch period where many simulation profile players just left or played much less on TMP and the % of racing profiles became higher. And this proportion effect is probably the reason why we see the behaviours and survey results evolution we see today. But statistics won't be able to measure/visualise that since you can't see if which playtime is a playtime of simulation player or playtime of racing player who drives faster (and now even faster). What I'm trying to say is that you can't take for granted what you observed 4 years ago.

If you had data on total & avg damage generated and average speed of players over time, that would give an indication on the evolution of profiles. And we would understand better the impact or not of some rules changes I guess.

• Upvote 3

35 minutes ago, Foobrother said:

But from what I can read, it was much more simulation oriented with much more simulation players who progressively moved away to be replaced by different profiles (hence the survey results we have now).

Not really. The crowd of TMP was much more casual in 2018-2019 and i believe the RTS pushed a culture change in the playerbase since it treated offenses very hard, sent away many casual truckers & basically appealed to simulation-oriented players. I've chatted with many players within the servers in the past, and while the sentiment of bitterness about the speed limit existed in the past, you don't see it much these days, especially after the release of Convoy, where many players moved on. And realistically speaking, today people have actually chosen Simulation 1 over Simulation 2 as the popular server, which means that the # of racing profiles as you call it, has not increased & instead people prefer a more simulation oriented playstyle.

That being said combined with what Fernando said about the changes being announced everywhere, my question is why the outcome of the survey was in favor of raising the speed limit.

47 minutes ago, Foobrother said:

I think it's not really accurate to compare pre 2020 with 2021-2023 phenomenon. Because the population of players/profiles have changed (would be great to see some stats on players age over time).

47 minutes ago, Foobrother said:

But you don't (and can't) have data on the total number of collisions/crash (reported + not reported). Would be amazing if we could collect the total damage generated per month on the servers overtime 🙂

If you had data on total & avg damage generated and average speed of players over time, that would give an indication on the evolution of profiles. And we would understand better the impact or not of some rules changes I guess.

Complete nonsense, considering that damage is generated for many reasons, and not just accidents or speed, you're asking for nonsense; same for age, people lie a lot over the internet, it would not be accurate anyway; trying to prove the impossible you ask for the impossible, 

Speed doesn't tell you anything about player profiles, since many maybe going fast but not causing accidents, it's not difficult to get,

The impact of the rules has already proven it to you but you don't want to understand, so it is wasted to explain things to you,

54 minutes ago, Foobrother said:

You won't convince me that having an increased driving speed doesn't increase the number of collisions/crash/incidents. That's just pure mechanics/physics (in reality or virtually). You can put a donkey or an F1 driver behind the steering wheel or keyboard, if you increase the driving speed they will have more incidents. And I'm still looking for a logical reason why people wouldn't report more if there are more offenses.

He has proven it to you, if you don't want to convince yourself it's your problem, the evidence is there, it's you blinded by your obsession,

"why people wouldn't report more if there are more offenses"  -  Where is it written in that evidence that as speed increases there is an increase in TMP violations? the ratio remained the same even when people were going faster than 150, it's not like everyone who goes fast always has accidents, you have a very closed view of reality, this also explains many of your nonsensical responses,

Since the post was done in JAN 2022 I assume this number is for the entire year? Because the graph is only showing the first 6 months of 2021 for some reason? 🙄

All it takes is a little common sense, what's the point of taking a period that has nothing to do with the average? you'll just have statistics that are off, it will make more sense to make another statistic from the summer of 2021 onward,

• we don't show the number of reports during the second half of 2021?

you don't know what they will do in the future,

To me if seems that we are here at an important switch period where many simulation profile players just left or played much less on TMP and the % of racing profiles became higher. And this proportion effect is probably the reason why we see the behaviours and survey results evolution we see today. But statistics won't be able to measure/visualise that since you can't see if which playtime is a playtime of simulation player or playtime of racing player who drives faster (and now even faster).

All speculation, all imagination, what are racing profiles? can you define/prove exactly? I'm curious to see how far your imagination can go,

What I'm trying to say is that you can't take for granted what you observed 4 years ago.

In the last 4.5 years, it is not the same as 4 years ago,

I've already explained to you why it doesn't make sense, the "total & avg damage generated and average speed of players over time" doesn't tell you anything useful because there are many variables,

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Random_Truck_Driver said:

And realistically speaking, today people have actually chosen Simulation 1 over Simulation 2 as the popular server, which means that the # of racing profiles as you call it, has not increased & instead people prefer a more simulation oriented playstyle.

Can't really comment on the other part of your reply (since I wasn't on TMP at the time) but regarding the above quote I disagree. Playing on Simulation1 instead of Simulation2 doesn't mean you're automatically a simulation profile player. You can have a racing profile, liking speed and still prefer to play with as much people as possible with traffic jams etc...

And, as explained earlier, I think that's why people voted for 150Km/h but are still on sim1.

Unfortunately I wasn't part of TMP before 2021. But from what I can read, it was much more simulation oriented with much more simulation players who progressively moved away to be replaced by different profiles (hence the survey results we have now).

11 minutes ago, Foobrother said:

Can't really comment on the other part of your reply (since I wasn't on TMP at the time) but regarding the above quote I disagree. Playing on Simulation1 instead of Simulation2 doesn't mean you're automatically a simulation profile player. You can have a racing profile, liking speed and still prefer to play with as much people as possible with traffic jams etc...

Read by whom and where?

You also contradict yourself, same goes for who plays in Simulation 2, does not mean that it is a "racing" profile, which I don't even know how you define it, just because there is a higher limit doesn't mean you have to reach it 😂

And, as explained earlier, I think that's why people voted for 150Km/h but are still on sim1.

I've already told you, that back in 2016 the same thing happened. The main server was Simulation one with 90km/h speed limit etc, and they changed the structure to make one server more casual with no speed limit. They named the simulation server as EU1 and the other server EU2. EU2 became the popular server. Nowadays, the core playerbase of the game is much closer to the simulation oriented playstyle than the casual since most casual players have moved on to Convoy since RTS did not suit their playstyle.

1 minute ago, Random_Truck_Driver said:

I've already told you, that back in 2016 the same thing happened. The main server was Simulation one with 90km/h speed limit etc, and they changed the structure to make one server more casual with no speed limit. They named the simulation server as EU1 and the other server EU2. EU2 became the popular server. Nowadays, the core playerbase of the game is much closer to the simulation oriented playstyle than the casual since most casual players have moved on to Convoy since RTS did not suit their playstyle.

As I said, I can't comment on what happened in 2016. Maybe 90km/h was too slow for most players? Maybe if today they change sim1 to 90km/h people will move to sim2?

• Haha 1

As I said, I can't comment on what happened in 2016. Maybe 90km/h was too slow for most players? Maybe if today they change sim1 to 90km/h people will move to sim2?

No, it will kill SIM1, 

What makes you think that if it was too slow in the past it is not too slow now?  😂 Read better the results and the history

5 minutes ago, Foobrother said:

Don't know what would happen today. But like i said, i believe the playerbase is vastly different to what it used to be. The release of Convoy mode combined with RTS kept away most casual players & only attracted simulation-oriented players. Overall, i'd argue that the driving culture is much better compared to what it was.

I've been a frequent traveller of the C-D road for the past 6 years, and nowadays the C-D road doesn't even come close to what it used to be. Back in 2018, there used to be an incident every 100 meters. If you managed to leave with your truck & cargo unharmed, it would be a great achievement. Today, i still see people complaining about the C-D road and i can honestly tell you that they have no idea how it used to be. 

Now if you ask me, that was the most enjoyable part of the game. The chaos of the C-D road is a memory that i'll forever cherish and since RTS i've never enjoyed the game so much. I remember driving and laughing uncontrollably by all the mishaps that happened around me. I'm glad to see that the management has finally understood that the game needs to be fun as well. Please, @Jeronimο do consider making further changes towards that casual direction and i do hope that a more casual crowd could consider coming back and help grow the Simulation 2 server.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
  • True Story 1

3 hours ago, Foobrother said:

Maybe if today they change sim1 to 90km/h people will move to sim2?

Probably.

• True Story 1

Kind regards,

partyaap

Driver - Bruijn Logistics

Rules | Knowledge Base | SupportFeedbackRecruitmentNews | Events | Staff Team

*Views and opinions expressed are my own and do not represent anything or anyone else.

3 hours ago, Random_Truck_Driver said:

Don't know what would happen today. But like i said, i believe the playerbase is vastly different to what it used to be.

I agree

3 hours ago, Random_Truck_Driver said:

I've been a frequent traveller of the C-D road for the past 6 years, and nowadays the C-D road doesn't even come close to what it used to be. Back in 2018, there used to be an incident every 100 meters. If you managed to leave with your truck & cargo unharmed, it would be a great achievement. Today, i still see people complaining about the C-D road and i can honestly tell you that they have no idea how it used to be. 

I can only believe you as I don't have your experience. But that doesn't mean the situation now is good. Maybe much better but not great. At least imho. And I'm not convinced it improved since Convoy was released.

4 hours ago, Random_Truck_Driver said:

Now if you ask me, that was the most enjoyable part of the game. The chaos of the C-D road is a memory that i'll forever cherish and since RTS i've never enjoyed the game so much. I remember driving and laughing uncontrollably by all the mishaps that happened around me. I'm glad to see that the management has finally understood that the game needs to be fun as well.

That's very honest from you, and for some reason I don't see many other players openly saying they enjoy chaos. I'm definitely not like you and prefer when things look/happen more like in reality (2 different profiles).

3 hours ago, Foobrother said:

That's very honest from you, and for some reason I don't see many other players openly saying they enjoy chaos. I'm definitely not like you and prefer when things look/happen more like in reality (2 different profiles).

Well i like the casual side of the game because i think there are far too many things lacking in TMP to consider it Simulation. I hate the fact that rain is not synced, it's immersion killer for me because i might be driving in huge fog with rain and the guy behind me or in front of me drives in perfectly clear weather and is not affected one bit by this terrible weather. He doesn't have to be cautious, his brakes apply far better than mine etc...

Furthermore there's no economy in the game. Money is worthless in the game and every profile has trillions of euros. That is the biggest reason why reckless driving is so common. When every account has cheated their way with money, the 100k you pay in the service for repairs seem like pocket change. Now imagine if money was synced with cloud profiles and you couldn't cheat, then everyone would think twice before making a reckless move and destroy their trucks. Every visit for repairs could cost you 10 jobs to pay off. These 2 reasons are why i don't like TMP as a simulation. Instead, i do consider Convoy mode far superior in that aspect.

That being said, i do enjoy the arcade side of TMP. I only have one red line, not to troll (No overtaking from grass or inflict damage to other players on purpose etc). These are usually the things i report. But, other than that I like driving my truck to its limits and the absolute highest speed possible. And certainly, i'll have a good laugh if people recklessly overtake and create accidents and chaos

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Random_Truck_Driver said:

I hate the fact that rain is not synced, it's immersion killer for me because i might be driving in huge fog with rain and the guy behind me or in front of me drives in perfectly clear weather and is not affected one bit by this terrible weather. He doesn't have to be cautious, his brakes apply far better than mine etc...

Furthermore there's no economy in the game. Money is worthless in the game and every profile has trillions of euros. That is the biggest reason why reckless driving is so common. When every account has cheated their way with money, the 100k you pay in the service for repairs seem like pocket change. Now imagine if money was synced with cloud profiles and you couldn't cheat, then everyone would think twice before making a reckless move and destroy their trucks. Every visit for repairs could cost you 10 jobs to pay off. These 2 reasons are why i don't like TMP as a simulation. Instead, i do consider Convoy mode far superior in that aspect.

Can't agree more!

I only have one red line, not to troll (No overtaking from grass or inflict damage to other players on purpose etc). These are usually the things i report.

Fair enough. After you have to define "inflicting damage on purpose". Because to me overtaking when you don't have enough space and pushing the other to avoid a frontal collision is "on purpose". Same if you overtake without any visibility and end up crashing with someone.

And certainly, i'll have a good laugh if people recklessly overtake and create accidents and chaos

Except if you are the collateral victim 😆